Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    vCash
    I don't know how far your sister would want to take this, but Colorado does have LGBT employment discrimination laws that ban employers from discriminating against employees because of sexual orientation or gender identity (they actually have unusually strict laws--most states either don't have them at all or just have them for state employment). I think that certain LGBT groups have also started using Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964 (equal protection under the law regardless of race, gender, etc.) in order to combat discrimination in the workplace.

Again, this might be farther than she wants to take things at the moment, but she's definitely protected under the law--especially if her workplace allows men to talk about women, but then had her written up for mentioning that she's a lesbian (that's something that could turn her case into one of obvious discrimination, since they're enforcing something on one group, but not another). If things get worse, she can always looking into the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission and see if they can do anything for her.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Bev Johnston View Post
    Not saying that she would, but tell her to be careful if she's thinking of using this as a defence.

Case in point, a few years ago, my boss, another co-worker, and I were talking about the show "Queer Eye for the Straight Guy". I don't remember anything offensive that was said - just discussion of the show - but someone who was out to get my boss made a complaint against her for offensive language. She was "counseled", and during the meeting with HR, said that she thought it was really the pot calling the kettle black, considering that this guy discussed all of his sexual exploits in detail and didn't seem to care who overheard or was offended. Well, long story short, she got written up for not reporting him, which meant no merit increases or promotions until the undetermined warning period was over. He got off scot free.
    Damn, I'm glad bullshit like this doesn't go on where I work. But then again, at 35 I'm the 2nd youngest in an office filled with 40+ and 50+ year-old people (aka -- people who actually have "been around" and have a respectable amount of life experience). We're in that office to sell steel. Period. Not to push our own personal agendas in everyone's face.

vCash
    I am sorry your sister has to deal with this kind of BS.

vCash
    What if an employee was a minority and said as a joke, "If you get lost, just ask people where the [ethnicity] person lives, I'm the only one in town!" It'd be just plain strange if someone of another background got offended just because that person is different.

As for the Chinese food one, talk about making something out of nothing. However, if it was a Margaret Cho "Asian chicken salad" sort of situation, then she might have something.
    Last edited by CantALoop; 05-12-2010 at 09:19 AM. Reason: clarifying earlier point

Tinami 2012
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by my little pony View Post
    people in my office had to go to sensitivity training for saying that they were getting Chinese food, they were advised to say "food of Asian origin" in the future
    Now I KNOW we work for the same company. I have heard this story through independent sources and always thought it was folklore. I guess not!

This is sadly not the most ridiculous HR "diversity" issue I've come across.

INTJ
    vCash
    ((flatfoote's sister)) I'd be furious... No advice to give, just my sympathy and a renewed desire to do my part.

Dashing Between Bennetton and Krispy Kreme
    vCash
    Margaret Cho would love the Chinese food complaint. I'll have to send it to her website.

In future, maybe there should be a picture board for people in the office to reference so that words people find offensive to the ears, can be indicated with a pointer or hand held laser instead.

For example, Chinese food can be a panda eating bamboo shoots, and lesbians can be a two lemons towing a U-Haul.

vCash
    (((Flatfoot´s sister))) Again, no good advices, although I wish they should be forced to stop discrimination at her workplace.

What a BS, really!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by CantALoop View Post
    What if an employee was a minority and said as a joke, "If you get lost, just ask people where the [ethnicity] person lives, I'm the only one in town!"?
    But self-referential jokes don't seem so harmful to me. And she didn't even use a slur!

ETA CantALoop, the is at the situation, not you
    Last edited by vesperholly; 05-12-2010 at 01:01 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by vesperholly View Post
    But self-referential jokes don't seem so harmful to me. And she didn't even use a slur!
    Oops, I guess my post was ambiguous, but yes I agree.that referring to herself as a lesbian is no more offensive than referring to oneself with other descriptors such as religion, or ethnic background.

Awaiting Validation
    vCash
    The write up is complete and utter BS but I wonder if there is something else going on in the work environment. Are "they" (a disgruntled coworker, dissatisfied manager, budget cutters, etc. ) looking for excuses to reprimand her?

vCash
    You've already gotten lots of great advice from other, more knowledgeable folks here. The only thing I was going to do was to stress the suggestion to document everything. I'm curious as to what the write-up actually says. But it does sound, to me, like it's a definite case of discrimination.

I just cant believe the one about the Chinese food. It actually is a Chinese restaurant, that serves Chinese food... how is that "objectifying"? Can people say they’re getting Italian food, or do they have to call it “food of a Mediterranean European origin”. I love how this person got hired to translate, and now feels objectified and wont do it. Sounds like someone has issues.
    Erm.... I got nothin'

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by talulabell View Post
    I just cant believe the one about the Chinese food. It actually is a Chinese restaurant, that serves Chinese food... how is that "objectifying"? Can people say they’re getting Italian food, or do they have to call it “food of a Mediterranean European origin”.
    Back in the day when there was lots of professional wrestling on TV, there was one network that was trying to increase its ratings outside the US. It told the commentators on one wrestling show that if a wrestler brought something into the ring like a chair, the commentators were no longer allowed to call it a "foreign object". It was to be referred to as an "international object".

Poster of Pet Vines
    Guess: StirRapidly+Anti+LargestHumanOrgan
    vCash
    oh PLEASE PLEASE have her send it in to the Evil HR Lady. She'll love it and give amazing advice.
    Sit vis nobiscum.
    Vah! Denuone Latine loquebar? Me ineptum. Interdum modo elabitur

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    I forgot about the Evil HR Lady!
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

vCash
    I should ask her about my company. They want our bosses to give us driving tests. I do not work at the DMV nor do I drive/get mileage for work. The exact purpose — or potential consequences of not passing! — has not been explained.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by vesperholly View Post
    I should ask her about my company. They want our bosses to give us driving tests. I do not work at the DMV nor do I drive/get mileage for work. The exact purpose — or potential consequences of not passing! — has not been explained.
    My company does something similar, in that we have annual on-line training and have a fellow employee ride along with us and fill out a checklist on our driving. So it's a peer not your boss, but it's still . The reason for it is that there are probably more injuries on and off the job related to driving than anything else. They have different categories of drivers depending on how often we drive for company business. I drive back and forth between two sites that are two miles apart, so I'm a frequent driver. Sigh.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by essence_of_soy View Post
    In future, maybe there should be a picture board for people in the office to reference so that words people find offensive to the ears, can be indicated with a pointer or hand held laser instead.

For example, Chinese food can be a panda eating bamboo shoots
    Great idea.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by sk8pics View Post
    My company does something similar, in that we have annual on-line training and have a fellow employee ride along with us and fill out a checklist on our driving. So it's a peer not your boss, but it's still . The reason for it is that there are probably more injuries on and off the job related to driving than anything else. They have different categories of drivers depending on how often we drive for company business. I drive back and forth between two sites that are two miles apart, so I'm a frequent driver. Sigh.
    Unless driving is a required part of your job then there should be no requirement to test someone's driving.

However working in the safety area of where I work, we have so many incidents that come from driving. We even had someone hit a pedestrian recently. But most are people reversing back into poles.

As for the initial post, I think that is crap. I would like to think these days that people who did complain about someone using the term "lesbian" should be severely reprimanded for being a knobhead.
    When you are up to your arse in alligators it is difficult to remember you were only meant to be draining the swamp.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Aussie Willy View Post
    Unless driving is a required part of your job then there should be no requirement to test someone's driving.

However working in the safety area of where I work, we have so many incidents that come from driving. We even had someone hit a pedestrian recently. But most are people reversing back into poles.

As for the initial post, I think that is crap. I would like to think these days that people who did complain about someone using the term "lesbian" should be severely reprimanded for being a knobhead.
    Knobhead, I love it. "I'm writing you up because you're a knobhead".
    I guess the hard thing for a lot of people to accept is why God would allow me to go running through their yards, yelling and spinning around.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast