Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 67
  1. #21
    gold dust woman
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Olympia, WA
    Age
    35
    Posts
    4,024
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by my little pony View Post
    nope
    Wow. There are no words!

  2. #22
    Port de bras!!!
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Ravenclaw
    Posts
    29,548
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    20235
    Quote Originally Posted by my little pony View Post
    nope
    I'd love to hear their reasoning for claiming "Chinese" food is offensive.
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

    from Speedy Death

  3. #23

    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    In and around.
    Posts
    10,574
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    1755
    Quote Originally Posted by my little pony View Post
    people in my office had to go to sensitivity training for saying that they were getting Chinese food, they were advised to say "food of Asian origin" in the future
    Yikes. That's incredibly ridiculous. Not to mention impractical. If someone invites me out for "food of Asian origin," I'd like to know if it's delicious Japanese or Thai, etc. etc., vs. the Chinese food you find in my area that makes me sick. (I'm sure actual food in China is better)

  4. #24
    snarking for AZE
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    vera ellen's turtleneck museum
    Posts
    29,839
    vCash
    2068
    Rep Power
    22627
    Quote Originally Posted by IceAlisa View Post
    I'd love to hear their reasoning for claiming "Chinese" food is offensive.
    They got a complaint from a girl of Chinese descent who said that when they ordered Chinese food it objectified her and she expected HR to make them stop it.
    I feel like I'm in a dream. But it can't be a dream because there are no boy dancers!

  5. #25
    Port de bras!!!
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Ravenclaw
    Posts
    29,548
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    20235
    Quote Originally Posted by my little pony View Post
    They got a complaint from a girl of Chinese descent who said that when they ordered Chinese food it objectified her and she expected HR to make them stop it.
    So the girl in question considers herself food. I see.
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

    from Speedy Death

  6. #26

    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    In and around.
    Posts
    10,574
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    1755
    Quote Originally Posted by my little pony View Post
    They got a complaint from a girl of Chinese descent who said that when they ordered Chinese food it objectified her and she expected HR to make them stop it.
    I could see it being a problem if everyone turned into giant a-holes when ordering it, making obnoxious and racist jokes and such. (Like some university students I used to know) But even then, why would you banish the phrase "Chinese food" instead of dealing with bad behaviour?

  7. #27
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Plotting
    Age
    49
    Posts
    10,308
    vCash
    510
    Rep Power
    0
    Do they have to order 'fried potatoes of French origin' while at McDonalds?

    Flatfoote, sorry your sister has to deal with this. Must make work a battleground.

  8. #28

    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    5,974
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    1891
    Quote Originally Posted by Bostonfan View Post
    I'm so sick of the overuse of "hostile work environment" by many employees.
    Seriously. At a company where I worked once, co-workers would give each other Christmas/holiday cards (this was a small co). Most would try to keep cards generic - the "Season's greetings" variety. One employee, a recent college grad (who was not the sharpest tool), gave out cards one year that said something like "May Jesus be with you this Christmas and always". And a few other words and images that were very Christian. I was a little annoyed - I'm Jewish - but I didn't say anything. The next year, I asked at a dept meeting (when boss asked us if we had any concerns we wanted her to address at the monthly dept heads meeting), if there could be a company-wide request for people to consider that not everyone is a Christian and if they were planning on giving out cards to everyone, to perhaps tone down the religious message out of respect for those with different beliefs.

    I didn't want specific words named or banned, just a hint for people to be more thoughtful. Boss came back to me a few days later and said the HR person said there couldn't be such a request b/c it would create a "hostile work environment", b/c that would be interfering with religious expression - hello?! Asking people to be tolerant of others is hostile, but forcing me to put up with inappropriate messages shoved in my face is OK? Uh, huh.

  9. #29
    Port de bras!!!
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Ravenclaw
    Posts
    29,548
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    20235
    I am not Christian and am ethnically Jewish but not observant. However, I find it nice when people wish me a merry Christmas or whatever holiday they are celebrating. I just take it as good wishes and say it back.
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

    from Speedy Death

  10. #30
    snarking for AZE
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    vera ellen's turtleneck museum
    Posts
    29,839
    vCash
    2068
    Rep Power
    22627
    Quote Originally Posted by Andora View Post
    I could see it being a problem if everyone turned into giant a-holes when ordering it, making obnoxious and racist jokes and such. (Like some university students I used to know) But even then, why would you banish the phrase "Chinese food" instead of dealing with bad behaviour?
    I agree but this wasnt the case. I think the only reason the complaint stuck was because it was made against the two most mild mannered people in the department who never stuck up for themselves. I'd still be fighting it. The girl who filed the complaint was a total pain about everything.
    I feel like I'm in a dream. But it can't be a dream because there are no boy dancers!

  11. #31

    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    5,974
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    1891
    Quote Originally Posted by IceAlisa View Post
    I am not Christian and am ethnically Jewish but not observant. However, I find it nice when people wish me a merry Christmas or whatever holiday they are celebrating. I just take it as good wishes and say it back.
    I don't have a problem with that. This particular card (I don't remember a lot - it was 9 years ago) was just really super-religious, almost proselytizing (sp?). And like I said, the girl was young, and I thought maybe a little hint from mgmt (not directly, I didn't name names) would be a good idea for her personally, and it wouldn't hurt for others to be aware of the issue.

    But given that she was a recent college grad, I was almost a bit more annoyed....b/c shouldn't someone educated (in our modern times, lol) not be quite so clueless?

  12. #32
    snarking for AZE
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    vera ellen's turtleneck museum
    Posts
    29,839
    vCash
    2068
    Rep Power
    22627
    Quote Originally Posted by Debbie S View Post
    But given that she was a recent college grad, I was almost a bit more annoyed....b/c shouldn't someone educated (in our modern times, lol) not be quite so clueless?
    lol, you reminded me that when I was that age I'm pretty sure I gave out cards I got for free and probably had no idea what they said
    I feel like I'm in a dream. But it can't be a dream because there are no boy dancers!

  13. #33
    Port de bras!!!
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Ravenclaw
    Posts
    29,548
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    20235
    Quote Originally Posted by Debbie S View Post
    But given that she was a recent college grad, I was almost a bit more annoyed....b/c shouldn't someone educated (in our modern times, lol) not be quite so clueless?
    Oh the things educated people do. It's a whole other thread. In PI.
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

    from Speedy Death

  14. #34
    Beach Bum
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Maryland burbs and shore
    Posts
    12,988
    vCash
    583
    Rep Power
    5666
    Quote Originally Posted by my little pony View Post
    They got a complaint from a girl of Chinese descent who said that when they ordered Chinese food it objectified her and she expected HR to make them stop it.
    But was it food from a Chinese restaurant? If it was a Thai or Japanese restaurant, and everyone called it Chinese food (a la the old 60s notion that anything or anyone Asian is Chinese), I might see her point. But how do you distinguish Chinese food from Thai or Japanese (very different) if you don't call it Chinese. I wonder how she refers to Mexican or Indian food?

    ITA with Andora, if people order the food with fake accents or jokes etc. that is another issue. My brother will ask if we want to go for Indian food using a fake Indian accent and I always tell him "not if you are going to speak in that manner."
    I think I will have a snack and take a nap before I eat and go to sleep.

  15. #35

    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    5,974
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    1891
    Quote Originally Posted by my little pony View Post
    lol, you reminded me that when I was that age I'm pretty sure I gave out cards I got for free and probably had no idea what they said
    LOL! Well, this girl lived at home and I figured she probably just took a bunch from the family stack. But I thought she should have realized not everyone she was giving one to shared her beliefs....or maybe she did.

  16. #36
    snarking for AZE
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    vera ellen's turtleneck museum
    Posts
    29,839
    vCash
    2068
    Rep Power
    22627
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob View Post
    But was it food from a Chinese restaurant? If it was a Thai or Japanese restaurant, and everyone called it Chinese food (a la the old 60s notion that anything or anyone Asian is Chinese), I might see her point. But how do you distinguish Chinese food from Thai or Japanese (very different) if you don't call it Chinese. I wonder how she refers to Mexican or Indian food?
    No, it was a Chinese restaurant. The poor guy who did the ordering was about the quietest person I ever met. Asking the girl next to him if she wanted Chinese food once a week was probably the only time he spoke out loud. She complained constantly. Part of her job was to translate either Mandarin or Cantonese, I can't remember which. She also said that this objectified her and she didnt want to do it. But it was her only job function. When she refused to translate, she had no job duties left.
    I feel like I'm in a dream. But it can't be a dream because there are no boy dancers!

  17. #37
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Picking up my Team Olesya t-shirt
    Posts
    1,166
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Flatfoote View Post
    Yet the men in the place are still allowed to talk about oogling women and the like.
    Not saying that she would, but tell her to be careful if she's thinking of using this as a defence.

    Case in point, a few years ago, my boss, another co-worker, and I were talking about the show "Queer Eye for the Straight Guy". I don't remember anything offensive that was said - just discussion of the show - but someone who was out to get my boss made a complaint against her for offensive language. She was "counseled", and during the meeting with HR, said that she thought it was really the pot calling the kettle black, considering that this guy discussed all of his sexual exploits in detail and didn't seem to care who overheard or was offended. Well, long story short, she got written up for not reporting him, which meant no merit increases or promotions until the undetermined warning period was over. He got off scot free.

  18. #38
    Corgi Wrangler
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Not Wearing Enough Sparkles
    Posts
    6,346
    vCash
    510
    Rep Power
    2366
    Quote Originally Posted by my little pony View Post
    people in my office had to go to sensitivity training for saying that they were getting Chinese food, they were advised to say "food of Asian origin" in the future
    This is why I wonder if the word "lesbian" was offensive, or if the person who reported her thought SHE was being insensitive.

    "Food of Asian origin"? I don't know whether to laugh or cry. What if it WAS Chinese? How about Chinese-American? If they ordered sushi could they call it Japanese? What if it was Japanese sushi made at a Chinese restaurant owned by Koreans?

  19. #39
    Port de bras!!!
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Ravenclaw
    Posts
    29,548
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    20235
    Quote Originally Posted by my little pony View Post
    No, it was a Chinese restaurant. The poor guy who did the ordering was about the quietest person I ever met. Asking the girl next to him if she wanted Chinese food once a week was probably the only time he spoke out loud. She complained constantly. Part of her job was to translate either Mandarin or Cantonese, I can't remember which. She also said that this objectified her and she didnt want to do it. But it was her only job function. When she refused to translate, she had no job duties left.
    Damn, I missed a chance to feel objectified when I translated medical literature from Russian to English and back.
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

    from Speedy Death

  20. #40

    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Northern Colorado
    Age
    56
    Posts
    680
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    19
    Thanks for all the great input. Keep it coming! I should see her this weekend, and I will direct her to this thread.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •