Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by victoriajh View Post
    any one who gets up at 4 30 in the am EVERYDAY deserves to win an OGM
    honestly...when was the last time Evan got up that early ...(edited to add)...to train each day...(not to travel from DWTS to SOI).
    Last edited by freezin'rinkmom; 05-12-2010 at 01:16 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by freezin'rinkmom View Post
    honestly...when was the last time Evan got up that early!
    maybe just yesterday? just take a look at his tight schedule

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    Given his current schedule, I'm not sure he sleeps.
    "The team doesn't get automatic capacity because management is mad" -- Greg Smith, agile guy

vCash
    I've never met Tanya L. She was not in the stands in Cleveland when Evan won the junior title. Unfortunately, some of her "acquaintances" were in the stands and spent a ridiculous amount of time dissing her. I took their carping as juvenile--and they certainly proved it over and over by the things they said during short and free programs. The fact that I never really heard about her again after 2000 made me realize that my dismissal of the remarks those young people made was probably right.

I've sat in the stands with or near parents of other skaters, and most of these parents are nice people who support their children, no matter what. I've never seen a parent berate a young skater. I hope that THAT is the actual norm!
    JO

Title-less
    vCash
    Speaking of interfering moms, here's an interview on parents and judges:

http://icemom.net/2010/05/ask-the-ex...th-judges.html

vCash
    It's not uncommon for parents to talk about each other, especially when they are jealous. Even if you're a parent, it's understandable that you would be envious when other people or their kids are experiencing such success. It's human nature IMO. I've met a number of parents throughout my time following skating. I've always found Tanya to be very humble. She doesn't usually talk much but the pride she has in all three of her children, not just Evan, is really evident when she does. She's different than say, Patti Weir, but they're both great parents. Connie Nam (Naomi Nari) is also one parent I remember being very humble and kind. I remember sitting next to her on a bus at nationals when Naomi was very popular. She was very nice. Seemed like just a regular person with a skating daughter.

vCash
    I have had the privilege of meeting both Evan and Tanya. I can't say enough about both of them. Tanya was, and continues to be, a wonderful supporting Mom. She and I had a laugh about the superstitions that we had, to assure ourselves that we wouldn't jinx our sons' skating

vCash
    While I am not sure about Tara... I don't get the "Kwan parent bashing"

Let's see, she has World titles, TONS of National titles, a couple of Olympic medals, a college degree and is working on graduate school.. Seems like they must have done SOMETHING right. That's more then most of us accomplish

I think that some of the "parent" bashing on here is based more on "rumor" then reality. (Not all, but at least some)

There are lots of top skaters whose parents I wouldn't know if I met them. And there are parents I have met in passing who are truly class acts. I have never met one who wasn't trying to do thier best.

Evan's mom is a prime example. Behind the scenes supporting him and doing her best.. (And it turned out very well, didn't it! )
    Last edited by Carolla5501; 05-15-2010 at 07:06 PM.

vCash
    Some children succeed and do well independent of their parents' behavior---good or bad!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Iceman View Post
    Some children succeed and do well independent of their parents' behavior---good or bad!
    True, but when parents have more than one children and they all turn out well, then (IMO), there is a stronger indication of good parenting, rather than "coincidentally" all doing well independently of their parents' behavior.

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Iceman View Post
    It hardly hurts to have a good role model.
    "The team doesn't get automatic capacity because management is mad" -- Greg Smith, agile guy

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12