Title-less
    vCash

Takahashi delaying surgery

http://mainichi.jp/enta/sports/gener...50068000c.html

My Japanese isn't so great. Will a fluent speaker help translate this? Thx

vCash
    So now the bolt is not coming out until after Tokyo?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jlai View Post

My Japanese isn't so great. Will a fluent speaker help translate this? Thx
    This is an article in “Mainichi Shimbun” in Japan.
    Translation into English.
    Takahashi puts off the surgical operation for removing the bolt of the knee.
    May 10th, 2010 JST

In May 10th, Daisuke Takahashi (Kansai Graduate School) who is the bronze medalist of Vancouver Olympics expressed his intention that he puts off the surgical operation for removing the bolt which was buried in his right knee which he had damaged the ligament and meniscus in two years before, till after the Worlds of next March, where he aims at the championship for two years running. At first, he was going to remove it in this off-season.

Daisuke Takahashi who won the championship in Men for the first time as Japanese in the Worlds of March said, “I would like to do my best aiming at the championship for two years running in next Worlds which is hosted in Tokyo”.

The article:
    Takahashi puts off the surgical operation for removing the bolt of the knee.
    Last edited by Akira Andrea; 05-15-2010 at 09:16 PM.

vCash
    thank you so much Akira Andrea!! can't wait to see Daisuke next season**

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Akira Andrea View Post
    This is an article in “Mainichi Shimbun” in Japan.
    Translation into English.
    Takahashi puts off the surgical operation for removing the volt of the knee.
    May 10th, 2010 JST

In May 10th, Daisuke Takahashi (Kansai Graduate School) who is the bronze medalist of Vancouver Olympics expressed his intention that he puts off the surgical operation for removing the volt which was buried in his right knee which he had damaged the ligament and meniscus in two years before, till after the Worlds of next March, where he aims at the championship for two years running.
    Volt? I would think that they are talking about a pin. Would somone please confirm? Thanks

living every minute
    vCash
    It's a typo: Bolt not Volt. A bolt is another word for screw, used to secure a plate into a bone.
    Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle. Plato

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by sk9tingfan View Post
    Volt? I would think that they are talking about a pin. Would somone please confirm? Thanks
    Originally Posted by Mevrouw
    It's a typo: Bolt not Volt. A bolt is another word for screw, used to secure a plate into a bone.
    Thank you for pointing the error out. I had translated it mistaking "volt" for "bolt". I had corrected the said word in article at once.
    In Japanese pronunciation, we commonly does not distinguish the difference not only between "l" and "r", but also between "v" and "b". Therefore we are apt to misinterpret a spelling of these in English translation if we are off guard.
    Last edited by Akira Andrea; 05-15-2010 at 10:25 PM.

vCash
    Bolt in the knee? Ugh, sounds painful! Anyways, I hope it all works out for him. Would be cool if he successfully defends his title next year.
    "Marge, if you're going to get mad at me every time I do something stupid, then I guess I'm just going to have to stop doing stupid things!" - Homer Simpson in the Mr. Plow episode

living every minute
    vCash
    Thank you Akira Andrea for bringing the news here and for your many translations of articles in Japanese. Arigato.
    Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle. Plato

vCash
    Poor Daisuke. Imagine where he'd be without his injury. He'd be unstoppable. I love his skating.

vCash
    REO - I was glad to see Daisuke finally put it all together at a major championship. Even though he is not back to the level he used be with all his jumps he had the potential on paper to win everything before he was injured and just couldn't keep it all together. Bad as his injury was/is, I think it has had a very positive effect on his mindset, which is actually allowing him to skate closer to his potential when it counts.

I say this as a frustrated fan who has long felt he had both all sides of the equation covered - jumps, artistry, CoP friendly transitions, etc., but just never put the right stuff together, even managing to lose at times because he used up his energy on illegal jumps (like too many combos or too many repetitions of certain jumps, etc.) Now he seems more relaxed about the whole thing - so in some ways the injury may have been a tiny bit of a blessing.

vCash
    Yea!
    Besides Joannie Rochette being the story of the Vancouver Olympics, Daisuke should be the second story. To have come back after a "career ending" injury to win the bronze was amazing! I can't wait to see him in Tokyo!