Page 5 of 51 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Angela Wang landed 3lz-3t at Broadmoor Open ! The USFSA is dumb if they send Davis and Gong over this kid...

vCash
    pinky166, Angela Wang is not a Senior lady -- here's the link to the thread speculating about U.S. JGP assignments (currently on page 7): http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/show...t=72852&page=7

A few more updates...

Christina Gao wrote a short journal entry for her official site (June 28): http://www.figureskatersonline.com/c...o/journal2.htm

Agnes Zawadzki's official site was launched at FSO on June 27: http://figureskatersonline.com/agneszawadzki/

Here's Kiri Baga's latest optimistic tweet (June 27): "One more week until I get to start training. This injury isn't holding me back. I'm more motivated to train then ever."

Kendall Wyckoff is officially a Senior level skater -- she tweeted that she passed her USFS Senior Moves and FS tests on June 27.
    Last edited by Sylvia; 06-29-2010 at 07:27 AM.

vCash
    Kiri Baga is back on the ice! From Twitter:

I have a normal MRI! YES. Let the training begin!

vCash
    Cross-posting discussions from the off-topic Kimmie Meissner thread:

Quote Originally Posted by lilshorty View Post
    Ditto. Sure, she's [Gao] talented for a 15 year old, but her skating isn't even on the level of that of Nagasu's (minus the underrotated jumps) when she was U.S. champion at age 14 back in 2008. She's slower, has bad posture, her jumps swing out too much on the landings, and she's as lyrical as Irina Slutskaya, for lack of a better comparison (sorry Irina fans!). Plus she's a snoozefest...about as interesting as watching mud dry and not nearly as exciting as Nagasu. Christina's talented, but I'm not falling for the hype. I'd give her about another two years to say she'll be ready to challenge the top of the pack at Nationals.
    Quote Originally Posted by pinky166 View Post
    Well her [Gao] score from Skate Detroit was higher than the one Ashley just put up at Skate Wilmington, by about 7 points too. I think you're assesment of Christina is unfair, based on her international scores and this summer's scores, Christina really is very comparable to Ashley. And if people think Ashley can be the next national champion, there's no reason to count Christina out of the running. Also, she's 16 and her musicality and expression have gotten a lot better. A bunch of Christina doubters will likely wind up eating crow this spring when she makes the world team and Ashley doesn't.....which I see as a real possibility.
    Quote Originally Posted by oleada View Post
    It's not Zhang or Czisny who Gao will have to beat for the US title you're telling us she'll win. She'll face Nagasu, Wagner , Flatt & Zawadzki, who have all beat her rather easily in the past.

Look, she's a very talented young skater at this point. She might as well medal or even win at US nationals at this point, who knows? Like any other skater, she has strength and flaws. But saying that she'll win US Nationals and make the World team is really putting the cart before the horse at this point in time.
    Wagner is the one that's really over-hyped IMO. I mean, her SB for the SP last season was below Murakami, Shelepen, Ovcharova, Leonova, Makarova, Korpi, Gedevanishvilli, Dobbs, the list goes on. The fact that she can't break the 60 point mark in a SP internationally when lots of top competitors are scoring in the 70s or at the very least mid-60s, is pretty telling of where she's at right now.
    Quote Originally Posted by RD View Post
    Agreed (not sure about this Zawadzki though, she's another one I keep hearing about. I'd have her with Gao as two really heavily-hyped skaters who probably won't be much of a factor this season). The skaters to beat in the US now, IMHO, are Nagasu, Flatt and Wagner. We know that Zhang and Czisny can challenge them on good days. But Gao last year couldn't even push Cohen off the podium after the latter all but threw the FS. It wasn't even close. I think she (Gao) was almost 20 pts behind! So to expect her to suddenly be able to challenge Nagasu, Flatt and Wagner seems a bit like jumping the gun here. JMO. And sorry for the digression...back to Meissner I guess.
    Let the discussion continue!

vCash
    Hahaha. So yeah. I like Gao a lot and think this could be her breakout season. Anyone else agree with me on this? Also I predict she finishes ahead of Zhang, Czisny, Wagner at nationals, and maybe even Flatt.

vCash
    Hahaha. So yeah. I like Gao a lot and think this could be her breakout season. Anyone else agree with me on this? Also I predict she finishes ahead of Zhang, Czisny, Wagner at nationals, and maybe even Flatt.
    I feel it is way to early to predict anything. We don't know how any of the top tier skaters will look once they compete. Gao has potential to improve but so do the rest of the ladies.

I wouldn't put too much thought in comparing Gao and Wagners scores from their summer comps. Wagner just started doing full run-throughs of her LP this past week and she scored around 100pts at Skate Wilmington. I would think that Christina would be much further along with her training since she starts competing earlier in the season. Also, Ashley scored 56+ for her SP at Liberty and I believe she did not get levels that she's capable on her spins, etc. Regardless, as we all know scores are not comparable from one competition to the next.

vCash
    You do like hyping Christina.

vCash
    True. While Gao is certainly strong, I think she will have difficulty moving Ahead of Ashley just yet, and and an even harder time beating Flatt or Nagasu. Yes, she has a gorgeous 3-3 and that will help her, but her spins are quite poor for a senior, and her overall skating quality is not the same. However, I wouldn't be surprised to see Gao finish 4th this year and earn a trip to FCC. She is definitely one to watch for the future, though. Tremendous potential.

vCash
    I think a 3rd/4th place finish is definitely within Gao's grasp this year at Nationals, but it's much too early to tell.

Wagner has had near-flawless free skates the past three years at Nationals, and she was only 8 points off the leaders after a short program that included a fall last season. Zawadzki has proven that she is a formidable competitor as well, with a true Lutz and spins that will score higher than Gao's on GOE. Nagasu and Flatt are sure to be contenders as well, and you never know when Czisny is going to skate lights out, but if she does, I don't think many can match her.

It's definitely going to be crowded at the top this season! It will be fun to watch the "veterans" (Flatt, Nagasu, Wagner) duke it out with the young guns (Zawadzki, Gao) and the wild cards (Czisny, Zhang, Dobbs, Gilles, Musademba). Can't wait!

vCash
    We seem to have many contenders, but no one definite best. I think that eventually, one skater will emerge as superior to the others, but that may not be for years. If one U.S. lady does the best ( among U.S. ladies ) at the Grand Prix, Nationals, 4CC and Worlds, then I think we could call that lady the "best".

vCash
    Moved from the Meissner thread in GSD:
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenna View Post
    Has Cesario been assigned [to the JGP] for sure?
    Yes.

vCash
    Oh, really? Good to hear! She deserves it. Are the entries on the ISU site?

vCash
    Oh, really? Good to hear! She deserves it. Are the entries on the ISU site?
    The list of substitutes for JGP Courcheval are:

Kiri BAGA
    Ashley CAIN
    Samantha CESARIO
    Lindsay DAVIS
    Christina GAO
    Kristiene GONG
    Angela WANG
    Felicia ZHANG

Siraj and Jiang are already competing at JGP Courcheval, and based on some of the names on that list, I would assume all those skaters have been given an initial JGP assignment. The USFSA doesn't assign 2nd assignments right away though, so it will depend on how Samantha and others on the list do at their first JGPs to know if Samantha will get a 2nd JGP assignment or not. Looking at the numbers though, the US has 14 JGP spots for ladies, and so far it appears 10 ladies have been assigned to one each, meaning 4 of those 10 ladies will get a 2nd assignment based on results, and if I have to guess it will be: Gao, Cesario, Siraj, and then one of Baga/Wang/Jiang.

vCash
    Thanks for explaining. If I had to guess though, I would say Baga is a near shoe-in for 2 spots if she does well at her first assignment. She made the JGPF last year. My bets for a second slot based on previous performance would be: Gao, Baga, Cesario, and Wang, but you never know.

vCash
    and based on some of the names on that list, I would assume all those skaters have been given an initial JGP assignment.
    Nope. They have not. Plenty of alternates never get assigned. When the next JGP roster is announced- you may see some new names as alternates. Not all the alternates can/will get events. I wish they all could, but its just not possible.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by haribobo View Post
    Nope. They have not. Plenty of alternates never get assigned. When the next JGP roster is announced- you may see some new names as alternates. Not all the alternates can/will get events. I wish they all could, but its just not possible.
    Oh I see, so then does that mean Samantha has not been assigned a JGP for sure.

vCash
    Thanks for explaining. If I had to guess though, I would say Baga is a near shoe-in for 2 spots if she does well at her first assignment. She made the JGPF last year. My bets for a second slot based on previous performance would be: Gao, Baga, Cesario, and Wang, but you never know.
    Where Baga has been injured that's why I have her as a question mark, obviously when she skates well she can win events like she did last year. Sometimes injuries can be nagging and hang around for awhile though, and I haven't seen her skate yet this summer so I don't know what kind of condition she's in/ how bad the injury is. That being said, I wish her a speedy recovery!

Title-less
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by haribobo View Post
    Yup. Agnes Z. was alternate last year and she didn't end up with a jgp.

(Besides, I'm hoping Gong won't automatically get one.)

vCash
    USFS and ISU have not posted any assignments for her yet. Does that mean she hasn't been assigned yet? We'll have to wait and see!

Title-less
    vCash
    Sylvia mentioned Cesario is going to jgp. See
    http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/show...io#post2827233

Page 5 of 51 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast