Page 2 of 51 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
    vCash
    I am sure Sasha Cohen could get 2 grand prix assignments like Wagner did last season when she was the U.S. pewter medalist (Wagner was also world junior bronze medalist).

vCash
    There's also DeeDee Leng out of mids (she was injured for last year's qualifying competitions).

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Polymer Bob View Post
    From what I know of the rules, I don't think Sasha can get Grand Prix assignments.........
    Of course, she couldn't get any last year either.
    Then you need to read the rules again....

vCash
    From what I know of the rules, I don't think Sasha can get Grand Prix assignments.........
    Of course, she couldn't get any last year either.
    Why wouldn't she be able to get any GP assignments? She's ranked #4 in the U.S. If she wants to compete on the GP, then the USFS will make sure she's included.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by chipso1 View Post
    Why wouldn't she be able to get any GP assignments? She's ranked #4 in the U.S. If she wants to compete on the GP, then the USFS will make sure she's included.
    She can probably get Skate America, but I don't think she will get another invitation after what happened last year.

vCash
    Updates...

Top 5 from 2010 Nationals (automatic byes to 2011 Nationals): Flatt, Nagasu, Wagner, Cohen (status?), Gao.

Grand Prix-eligible/possible bye through Regionals and/or Sectionals: Amanda Dobbs, Alexe Gilles, Alissa Czisny, Caroline Zhang (all but Gilles are guaranteed at least one GP event);
    Bebe Liang - retiring;
    Emily Hughes - retiring to focus on college (hearsay).

* = Juniors at 2010 Nationals (competing at Senior this summer doesn't guarantee they will move up -- they officially will become Senior only after they've passed their Senior FS test)

EASTERN
    Melissa Bulanhagui, Samantha Cesario, Yasmin Siraj* (has passed her Sr. FS test), Joelle Forte (back to US?) - registered for Liberty in July;
    Felicia Zhang* - registered for Senior at Chesapeake Open in June (SP only), also Joelle Forte;
    Rebecca Stern, Angela Maxwell (or Mids?), Kristine Musademba, Taylor Firth, Kendall Wyckoff*, Kimmie Meissner, Taylor Firth - status unknown at this time;
    Haley Dunne* - registered for Junior at Chesapeake and Liberty;
    Blake Rosenthal - retiring, off to college.

MIDWESTERN
    Agnes Zawadzki*, Marissa Secundy* - registered for Senior at Liberty (also Broadmoor Open in late June?);
    Kiri Baga* - registered for Senior at a Minnesota club comp. in late June;
    Becky Bereswill - planning to continue in singles & starting pairs;
    Chelsea Morrow, Christina-Maria Sperduto - both already have competed Senior this season;
    Tatyana Khazova, Kayla Howey, DeeDee Leng - status unknown at this time;
    Molly Oberstar - retiring;
    Nina Jiang* - competed Junior at a recent TX club comp. & registered for Junior at Liberty;
    McKinzie Daniels* - registered for Junior at Liberty.

PACIFIC COAST
    Kristiene Gong, Ellie Kawamura, Karen Zhou;
    Lindsay Davis* - assume she is moving up, has resumed training in Senior Pairs;
    Angela Wang* - registered for Junior at Liberty;
    Vanessa Lam* - registered for Senior FS at a SoCal club comp. in June;
    Katlynn McNab* - assume she is staying Junior?;
    Laney Diggs - taking time off (possibly entire season?).
    Last edited by Sylvia; 06-11-2010 at 05:13 AM.

vCash
    So Kiri is going to compete as a senior at nationals, yes? Sounds like it based on the fact she's signed up to compete as a senior at upcoming competitions.I assume she will do another season on the JGP though, unless she requested SGP (she's old enough), but somehow I doubt it as then she'd likely only get 1 assignment.

Any word on whether Agnes decided on JGP or SGP for the upcoming season?

Oh and it was said in an interview that Yasmn Siraj will compete in the senior ladies division at nationals in the coming season.

A lot of these girls probably won't be at sectionals though, I assume a fair number will get JGP assignments and if a skater gets 2 assignments then she doesn't have to go to sectionals right? It seems fairly likely that Baga, Siraj, Cesario, Jiang, Davis, Zawadzki if she doesn't do SGP, will get at least 1 if not 2 JGP assingments, along with maybe Angela Wang or the novice girls who were 2 and 3, or some other random senior lady.
    Last edited by pinky166; 06-11-2010 at 05:00 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by pinky166 View Post
    and if a skater gets 2 assignments then she doesn't have to go to sectionals right?
    Not necessarily. Only if they make the JGPF or their JGP event falls within a one-week period of Sectionals. The three USFS Sectional Championships are scheduled for November 9-13, 2010, while the last JGP event in the Czech Republic wraps up October 17, 2010.

vCash
    chipso1 is correct.

For the past several seasons, U.S. singles skaters assigned to a 2nd JGP have been receiving a bye through their respective Regionals in October (not Sectionals in November).

vCash
    Is it possible for a skater to get 2 GP assignments, and still have to do Regionals and/or Sectionals?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by pinky166 View Post
    So Kiri is going to compete as a senior at nationals, yes? Sounds like it based on the fact she's signed up to compete as a senior at upcoming competitions.
    Unfortunately, Kiri Baga tweeted today that she has a stress fracture (doesn't mention where) and that she will be "Off for a couple weeks. I'll be back to normal in no time."

Any word on whether Agnes decided on JGP or SGP for the upcoming season?
    Senior GP, as we now know.

Is it possible for a skater to get 2 GP assignments, and still have to do Regionals and/or Sectionals?
    In recent years, skaters with 2 GP assignments have not had to compete at Regionals or Sectionals, but the skaters have to wait for an official confirmation from USFS about this.
    Last edited by Sylvia; 06-15-2010 at 12:15 AM.

vCash
    From the new SKATING magazine re: Agnes Zawadzki...

To make the jump to the senior level, she has been working on triple-triple combinations. Already in her arsenal are a triple toe-triple toe and a double Axel-triple toe. Zakrajsek said that she is working on a triple Lutz-triple toe combination as well as the daunting triple Axel.

vCash
    From the new SKATING magazine re: Agnes Zawadzki...
    Sounds good, I think especially with the new rules about URs, we'll see a lot more ladies attempt 3-3s this season.

vCash
    I think it's much more important for her to work on her speed. Did the article mention that anywhere?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    I think it's much more important for her to work on her speed. Did the article mention that anywhere?
    No, but having seen her live at Nationals, I must say that her speed was completely adequate. I'm not quite sure where all these reports about her Caroline Zhang-esque slowness are coming from...

vCash
    No, but having seen her live at Nationals, I must say that her speed was completely adequate. I'm not quite sure where all these reports about her Caroline Zhang-esque slowness are coming from...
    Agnes is really tall for a skater at 5'6", so while she may be slow for someone her size, I feel like her speed is probably perfectly adequate due to her long legs.

vCash
    Watching her at Junior Worlds I had 2 impressions re: power and speed

1. she was skating slowly
    2. her stroking wasn't very efficient

Her speed was adequate in the sense that she was able to rotate and land her jumps with the speed she had going into them; but from a competitive standpoint, her lack of speed was apparent and that could affect GOEs as well as PCS.

vCash

Her speed was adequate in the sense that she was able to rotate and land her jumps with the speed she had going into them; but from a competitive standpoint, her lack of speed was apparent and that could affect GOEs as well as PCS.
    The version of her Jr. Worlds free skate that I uploaded to YouTube is kind of messed up (if that's the version you're referring to). If you notice, even her jump rotations are slowed down, and when I play the video directly on my computer in WMP, the same thing happens. I'm not sure if the file is too big for YouTube to process or what (the file is 160 MB).

Title-less
    vCash

I adore Agnes' jumps; they're a thing of beauty. But I also think her stroking isn't very efficient, but then I'm no expert so we'll see what happens on gp. I suspect her height might be more of an issue since she's already 5'6''

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jlai View Post
    I adore Agnes' jumps; they're a thing of beauty. But I also think her stroking isn't very efficient, but then I'm no expert so we'll see what happens on gp. I suspect her height might be more of an issue since she's already 5'6''
    Her lutz is absolutely glorious.

Speaking of height, isn't Nicole Bobek also 5'5 (and now Mirai Nagasu must be 5'4?)?

Page 2 of 51 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast