Page 11 of 51 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylvia View Post
    Yasmin Siraj's ISU and USFS bios state her choreographer is Jamie Isley. Siraj makes her JGP debut this week in Courchevel, France.

Thanks Sylvia. The program/choreography has interesting nuances to the music throughout the program. There's a lot of potential there. Good luck to Yasmin in Courchevel!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by B.Cooper View Post
    iirc.... Flatt had to w/d from the JPG series in the autumn of 2006 due to a back injury where she incurred several bulging discs in her lower back. Following that injury, the killer layback that she had as a novice and junior pretty much disappeared. I would suspect the discs are still bulging. Only her MRI would know for sure, LOL! I guess bulging discs are no laughing matter. They rarely regress...usually require surgery at some point.
    Flatt used to have a killer layback? For some reason, I never recall her being that flexible, but I'm really not sure.

Thanks to pinky for posting all of those videos!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenna View Post
    Gao clearly had the best summer skate, but she is competing earlier. Watching that video a second time, however, really made me realize how much she has improved, not only with the jumping, but as an overall skater. Gong and Cesario also look much improved. It wasn't Flatt's day at Golden West. I was probably too harsh on her at first. The program is still developing...I will be more critical at her first GP.
    You mean Glacier Falls, Golden West is not until next week. I tend to think Flatt's program will get better as the season goes on, she's always seemed to be able to peak at the right time. Normally she's a bit blah at her first GP and then gets steadily better as the season goes on.

I think Gao's overall skating has improved a lot too, although I feel this is much more apparent in her LP than in her SP, where she still seemed a bit gangly and awkward. She was graceful in the LP though so that's good to see.

Gong and Cesario I felt always had a lot of potential, and now that they have both improved their jumps so much, it's really apparent just how talented they both are.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by pinky166 View Post
    A list of all the females who were hyped at a young age and then dissappointed:

Kimmie
    Emily
    Katy
    Alissa
    Caroline

A list of all the females who were hyped at a young age and then continued to do well in later years despite setbacks:

Michelle
    Yuna
    Mao
    Miki
    Mirai

Apart from Caroline Zhang, who's issues were apparent from the start given her awful technique, what's the difference between list 1 and list 2? I'm asian, so maybe I'm biased, but I think some combination of Asian womens' work ethic, upbringing, and ability to maintain a slim physique into their adulthood makes them less likely to crash and burn in a sport like figure skating. American culture is kind of toxic, and as for Asian girls living in America, if they have parents who are immigrants they are most likely sheltered from the American culture at least somewhat. Having lived in China for several years I can tell you the atmosphere, diet, and behavior of the people living there is very different from that in the US, where there is so much pressure on teens to drink and party and date, where junk food is so widely available and the majority of the population is overweight. Christina is Chinese and her parents are immigrants, therefore I think she will be okay.
    I don't really get this list. Emily and Katy were NEVER hyped the way Mao Yuna or Michelle were. (or even Caroline and Mirai). I think they were alywas seen as 2nd tier skaters who made the best out of their talent...especially Emily. The only people who were hyping her up where her home town newspapers.

Kimmie was hyped as a Jr and although she did not have a long career, I would say she exceeded expectations, becoming a national and world champion and an Olympian.

What setbacks for Michelle are you talking about??

At this point in her career, Mirai is not as successful as Kimmie.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by stjeaskategym View Post
    Flatt used to have a killer layback? For some reason, I never recall her being that flexible, but I'm really not sure.
    Would love to see a video of that. Regardless of positions, her spins have in general been very mediocre since 2007.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Would love to see a video of that. Regardless of positions, her spins have in general been very mediocre since 2007.
    RF 2005 Nats Ex
    My job requires me to be a juggler, but that does not mean that I enjoy working with clowns.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Nomad View Post
    So she could do a proper layback!

vCash
    That layback was gorgeous...what a shame that injury has ruined her position in that spin.

vCash
    But she can do camel spins in both directions and get other features on the "wrong direction" spin. How many other skaters can claim that?

Everyone makes the most of their own abilities.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by gkelly View Post
    But she can do camel spins in both directions and get other features on the "wrong direction" spin. How many other skaters can claim that?

Everyone makes the most of their own abilities.
    Rachael also has a very nice donut spin that she never does....I don't know why either, it's so much prettier than the catchfoot camel she usually does.

vCash
    Off the top of my head - Kwan and Buttle, and before COP too.

vCash
    But can they do a difficult position or an edge change, or, say, 8 revolutions, in the clockwise spin?

Buttle yes

Klimkin maybe (I found one example that seemed to be trying for an outside edge, might or might not have counted in IJS)

Kwan ?? not that I'm aware of

vCash
    But can they do a difficult position or an edge change, or, say, 8 revolutions, in the clockwise spin?

Buttle yes

Klimkin maybe (I found one example that seemed to be trying for an outside edge, might or might not have counted in IJS)

Kwan ?? not that I'm aware of
    In her Arienne debut at the World Pro, Kwan did the reverse camel with a catch foot.

And also Fontana. At Turin Olympics she was doing both the camel and sit in her reverse direction IIRC. (NOt that it adds further under IJS, but it's got to be difficult - and the only other person I remember doing it was John CUrry)

vCash
    In her Arienne debut at the World Pro, Kwan did the reverse camel with a catch foot.
    So she did. Thanks.

And also Fontana. At Turin Olympics she was doing both the camel and sit in her reverse direction IIRC. (NOt that it adds further under IJS,
    Actually it does -- reversing direction within a spin (camel or sit only as of this year) is a feature in and of itself. Of course they need to be held for 3 revolutions, which Fontana didn't do but I don't remember what the rules about that were in 2006. And two features are needed for level 2, although they can be achieved in the regular direction, as Fontana did.

Anyway the point is that Flatt has exhibited some advanced spinning skills that few other skaters have used. So even if she isn't the fastest spinner in the world and doesn't have the flexibility of some of her competitors, she does have other ways to get some extra points out of her spins.

vCash

moved from another thread...

BTW, I know she's not a senior lady yet, but Nina Jiang apparently had a pretty good showing in her JGP debut SP, landing a 3t-3t, 3lo, 2a. Wheee!

vCash
    And Nina Jiang's fellow teammate at the Courchevel JGP, Yasmin Siraj, is in 6th after the SP (to Jiang's 3rd), reportedly falling on 3Lz (no combo) and doubling her planned 3Lo. (See the JGP Courchevel thread in the Kiss and Cry forum for more info.)

Phil Hersh tweeted earlier today: https://twitter.com/olyphil/status/22197052025
    Just learned skater Mirai Nagasu, 4th in Oly, has been off ice about 6 weeks with stress frac in foot. Supposed to be back by Sept. 1
    ETA: Nagasu IS at Champs Camp (I will go post in the Champs Camp thread in GSD: http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/show...04#post2855804 )
    Last edited by Sylvia; 08-26-2010 at 09:00 PM.

vCash
    Actually it does -- reversing direction within a spin (camel or sit only as of this year) is a feature in and of itself. Of course they need to be held for 3 revolutions, which Fontana didn't do but I don't remember what the rules about that were in 2006. And two features are needed for level 2, although they can be achieved in the regular direction, as Fontana did.

Anyway the point is that Flatt has exhibited some advanced spinning skills that few other skaters have used. So even if she isn't the fastest spinner in the world and doesn't have the flexibility of some of her competitors, she does have other ways to get some extra points out of her spins.
    I phrased it poorly. What I meant was, she would have gotten the feature anyway with just the reverse camel as part of her combo spin, doing the reverse sit as well didn't add another feature although it must have been extremely difficult.

re: Flatt - she got the COP points which I am sure is all she cared about. I don't think it contradicted my opinion that she was a mediocre spinner. For example Bonaly was also known for doing relatively difficult spins during her competitive times.

vCash
    I phrased it poorly. What I meant was, she would have gotten the feature anyway with just the reverse camel as part of her combo spin, doing the reverse sit as well didn't add another feature although it must have been extremely difficult.
    It was in a different spin. Since there was no restriction on how many times the "both directions" feature could be used during a program, she should have gotten credit for it in both spins if she had enough revolutions in both of them.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylvia View Post
    And Nina Jiang's fellow teammate at the Courchevel JGP, Yasmin Siraj, is in 6th after the SP (to Jiang's 3rd), reportedly falling on 3Lz (no combo) and doubling her planned 3Lo. (See the JGP Courchevel thread in the Kiss and Cry forum for more info.)

Phil Hersh tweeted earlier today: https://twitter.com/olyphil/status/22197052025
    Yasmin had the highest PCS of all the ladies at the competition . Good look to both girls in the FS!

And poor Mirai, I had no idea the injury was that serious. Given it's a stress fracture does that maybe is she growing again? Hope she makes a speedy recovery!

vCash
    Coming off a stress fracture of her own, Kiri Baga scored 116.73 for her programs at the MN State Championships last weekend. Pretty respectable for her season debut, and for just getting over an injury.

Page 11 of 51 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast