Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by shine View Post
    But between TAT and Nichol, I'll take the latter any time, any day.
    As far as I am concerned:

Morozov > Tarasova > Nichol

But then the eville trio aside, there are plenty of other choreographers out there.

Banned Member
    vCash
    Ack! Same-ol-same-ol with different music! This is very disappointing.
    Without fear you cannot find courage

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Akira Andrea View Post
    The programs choreographed by Nichol (quote from wikipedia)

2006-2007 EX
    Habanera
    from Carmen
    by Georges Bizet
    vocal by Filippa Giordano
    Habanera is choreographed by Mihoko Higuchi.

Kostner Softie
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ziggy View Post
    As far as I am concerned:

Morozov > Tarasova > Nichol

But then the eville trio aside, there are plenty of other choreographers out there.
    You'd take Morozov over TT and Lori?

I can't think of a single Morozov program that I've actually enjoyed

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MR-FAN View Post
    I can't think of a single Morozov program that I've actually enjoyed
    Daisuke Takahashi - "Cyber Swan" SP

Miki Ando - Sheherezade (or was it Samson and Delilah?) SP

Javier Fernandez - Pirates of the Caribbean FS

Three off the top of my mind.

I guess most people would say Alexei Yagudin - Winter SP but I am not one of them.

As for Lori Nichol programs I've enjoyed, the number is zero.

vCash

kween hater

Kostner Softie
    vCash

I guess most people would say Alexei Yagudin - Winter SP but I am not one of them.

I'll give you Cyber Swan, but not the others Sheherazade (and S&D) were nothing but generic Morozov stroke-stroke-jump-stroke-spin-stroke-footwork. POTC is nothing choreographically to run home about, it was all in Javier's personality (Just the thought of him a decent choreographer... )

Lori's had

Mao's Nocturne
    Joannie's Aranjuez and Samson & Delilah
    Chan's Tango SP and Rachmaninov LP
    Verner's Zobra the Greek
    Kostner's Riders on the storm and Nocturne

and that's just off the top of my head, with no mention of some of Kwan's masterpieces (I was just thinking the last quad)

Port de bras!!!
    vCash

Absolutely agree, excepting that I think Winter was amazing. Lori is so
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

Searching for Sergei Verbillo's lost stache
    vCash
    The Lori programs I really liked were the ones she did before 2001-> S/P's Orchard, and even Tristan and Isolde. Liked "Hands" and "Miraculous Mandarin" she did for Kwan too. But ever since 2002 on she become a celebrity and for some reason didn't like her programs as much.

I have a bad feeling she'll choose "Swan Lake" for Mao, something she hasn't yet choreographed for a lady yet.

Also I really hope Mao can work with Marina Zoueva one day as the programs she did for Yukari were amazing (esp. Giselle) and the ones she choreographed for the Zhangs were also great as well. Unlike others, Morozov is good mainly for working with extremely talented skaters, so I think he would be a good fit for Mao too.

vCash
    Interesting. I was going to say something about this earlier but held off - now that it's up here. Cyber Swan and (from what I'm told by folks who were there) to some degree Winter were not TT but Morozov. Actually, what I was thinking is that one of the last purely TT successful (really successful) programs we've seen is Ilia's RIB which was perfect for him and did the Gold Medal job it needed to do - they did it together, no one else. I don't know that she has had a solo triumph (with possibly the exception of one or two of AY's programs but friends who know better say that NM was very involved) since then and that was a long time ago. Long way of saying that her best days as a choreographer may be behind her.

Now everyone is entitled to not produce consistently throughout a career and TT is no exception. That's fine. But one does notice, over time, that she was out there being large and in charge when IK won, when AY won, etc. But with Mao, I think she let that young womlan suffer a lot of this on her own. TT would speak directly to the Japanese press only after Mao's Vancouver performances but the skater herself tried to deal with press from all countries. I had no sense that TT was committed to protecting her skater, especially in public; she certainly did not assume an appropriate level of accountability for any deficits in Mao's performance. If you're willing to bask in the glory, you need to stand up just as prominently when there are problems - I didn't much like TT in Vancouver and I think her performance (not just Mao's) speaks volumes about her. I would be happy to see Mao move on from TT for the latter part of her eligible career - I think other coaches may have more to offer at this point.
    Last edited by Willowway; 05-11-2010 at 07:03 PM.

Vacant
    vCash
    TAT is no longer Mao's coach. Mao is looking for a Japanese coach specifically to work on her technique by all media accounts so far. TAT has been retained as a consultant and choreographer which frustrates me to some degree but with Sochi in mind, it will do no harm to have TAT backing up Team Mao politically in 2014 (assuming she's still around by then but she has said she wants to be there.)

As for going to LN for her LP it's a good move in principle, but IMO Lori OWES Mao big time in terms of giving her a terrific LP vehicle that showcases her wonderful qualities. Czardas was.....not good, lets just say that, and the Chopin LP - while very nice - came on the back of her incredible Nocturne, plus her exhibition was 'How Deep is the Night' that same season. It was kind of Chopin overload. I just hope that whatever comes of this next season, it shows some artistic growth rather than just reverting to tried and trusted. That said, Mao does suit piano music.

As for TAT, well, I loved Ladies in Lavender from 07-08. It's clear that TAT can give Mao the goods choreographically as shown in Caprice and Por Una Cabeza. Maybe if she just treats the SP as an exhibition.......

vCash
    You do have a good point about TT and Sochi - politics are politics.

Kostner Softie
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Fallcolor View Post
    I have a bad feeling she'll choose "Swan Lake" for Mao, something she hasn't yet choreographed for a lady yet.
    Lori did Swan lake with Kostner in 2008, but Carolina dumped the program after a couple of outings. But I would really really LOVE for Mao to do Swan Lake. No one would do it justice like her. This could be her masterpiece.

Quote Originally Posted by Willowway View Post
    Actually, what I was thinking is that one of the last purely TT successful (really successful) programs we've seen is Ilia's RIB which was perfect for him and did the Gold Medal job it needed to do
    She gave Sasha Cohen a couple of great programs when they worked together, and I loved the Ladies in Lavender SP she did for Mao. But she's had her fair share of misses in the past few years.

vCash
    The Lori programs I really liked were the ones she did before 2001-> S/P's Orchard, and even Tristan and Isolde. Liked "Hands" and "Miraculous Mandarin" she did for Kwan too. But ever since 2002 on she become a celebrity and for some reason didn't like her programs as much.
    Miraculous Mandarin was done by Peter Oppegard.

IIRC, the 2002 Scheherazade LP was Kawahara, 2003 Arajuanez and 2004 Tosca were Morosov, and 2005 Bolero was a watered-down Christopher Dean.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ayanon View Post
    Habanera is choreographed by Mihoko Higuchi.
    As for "2006-2007 EX Habanera from Carmen by Georges Bizet", I quoted it from the article of wikipedia (English version), but I checked it again on your pointing-out about it.

As the result, I deleted it because it seems that the original version is undoubtedly "2003/2004 EX Habanera choreographed by Machiko Yamada and Mihoko HIguchi", according to the article of the homepage of Mao Asada. But, I could not confirm whether Lori Nichole took part in the revision of the choreography as for that program.

Thank you for your pointing-out about it.
    Last edited by Akira Andrea; 05-11-2010 at 07:40 PM.

vCash
    She gave Sasha Cohen a couple of great programs when they worked together
    I'm told that a lot of that was Morozov.

Searching for Sergei Verbillo's lost stache
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MR-FAN View Post
    Lori did Swan lake with Kostner in 2008, but Carolina dumped the program after a couple of outings. But I would really really LOVE for Mao to do Swan Lake. No one would do it justice like her. This could be her masterpiece.
    Wasn't Kostner's program that year some combo of Tchaikovsky's Piano concerto+Swan Lake? I vaguely remember it at debuted at skate canada or something. Thought the music cut was rather odd.
    Something I've always wanted Mao to skate to is a Liszt program, like the Liebestraum that M/D did in 1992. She's already mastered Chopin, so other composers would be nice.
    Quote Originally Posted by CantALoop View Post
    IIRC, the 2002 Scheherazade LP was Kawahara, 2003 Arajuanez and 2004 Tosca were Morosov, and 2005 Bolero was a watered-down Christopher Dean.
    O yes I meant that when Kwan left Lori in 2001 and when she was choreographing for other skaters her programs weren't as special as it could have been after that, ie the American girls right now. Rachael's LP this year is too similar to the one she did last yr; Caroline's LP this year also similar to last year's.
    Last edited by Fallcolor; 05-11-2010 at 08:05 PM.

vCash
    Wasn't Kostner's program that year some combo of Tchaikovsky's Piano concerto+Swan Lake? I vaguely remember it at debuted at skate canada or something. I thought the music cut was rather odd.
    Something I really want for Mao to do is a Liszt program, maybe the Liebestraum that M/D did in 1992.
    Seems that this is the other music TAT prepared for Mao's LP this season. Perhaps TAT could consider use it as next season's SP.

I don't go against if Lori chooses another Chopin piece since I love Mao+Chopin+Lori('Nocturne','Fantasie Impromptu','So Deep is the Night'),but I want to see something new. However, with Lori as her choreography, I highly doubt this. But, well, at least, Mao could at least have a COP-friendly LP next season.

vCash
    I am happy that Lori is doing her LP, because the programs Lori did for Mao suited her quite well. However, I am hoping it won't be another Chopin program or some classical piano piece that is overused.

vCash
    MR-FAN, I really liked Verner's "Zorba" so I guess that's one.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast