Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 LastLast
    Satisfied skating fan
    vCash
    I don't care how good she dances. She's annoying.
    Adelina Sotnikova defeated the curse of Esta She is indeed the Greatest Of All Time!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by rfisher View Post
    I don't care how good she dances. She's annoying.
    Yes, she certainly is. I'm almost resigned to the fact that she will likely win, but that still doesn't prevent me from hoping that there is a shocking for her next week -- except that would mean that Chad was still dancing.

Erin! and Evan Niecy. And then there's Chad. I'm so that he has outlasted Pam and Niecy, both of whom had better dancing than him and at least 10x the personality. I am still as to who his fan base is.

vCash
    The bratling is home from college, and if he could have figured out how, he would have voted for Chad 85. He watched half of Chad and Cheryl's second routine and declared that no one could "dance pimp" like Chad and he should win.

So I guess his fan base is idiot 25 year old males who don't actually watch the show.
    "The practice of sport is a human right. Every individual must have the possibility of practicing sport, without discrimination of any kind and in the Olympic spirit, which requires mutual understanding with a spirit of friendship, solidarity and fair play." –Olympic Charter

vCash
    I guess his fan base is idiot 25 year old males
    Some people will support "any football player".
    I don't like the way he treats Cheryl.
    He acts as though he's "God's gift" to women...not so much!

Niecy was no dancer. However, she was fun to watch.

Beach Bum
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Prancer View Post
    I know exactly how much dance training she had as a dance minor in her slightly more than two years of college. I'm not trying to say that she didn't really study dance. And I agreed that she was a ringer; as I said, I just think that the criticisms of her for not being as good as she should be considering all her dance training might be based on an overestimation of her dance training.
    I agree with you. She's is surely a ringer because she can move, learn choreography, has extension and line, knows how to use her arms/hands, and has better posture than the average joe. A trained adult dancer of almost any sort can fake ballroom a little better than an adult with absolutely no movement training, but it is still fake ballroom. There will be residual habits that are not correct for ballroom technique. I think a lot of the ballroom dancers on this thread and the SYTYCD thread (and also Len) have pointed out that some of the well-trained contemporary, ballet, or hip hop dancers do not have correct foot placement or hip movement in ballroom/latin. Ballet dancers have a hard time with heel leads; hip hops often lack posture/top line/extension. The list goes on. Those habits die hard, and the experts have pointed out that they make the ballroom/latin dances look awkward. So they look good because they can learn a lot of steps, but not as good as you'd think for a dancer. A beginner might not acquire those habits even though they don't show much flair in the movement. So a few years of hip hop might translate better than no dancing, but not as well as you'd think.
    I think I will have a snack and take a nap before I eat and go to sleep.

Shadow dancing
    vCash
    I'm sad Neicy is gone, but not surprised. I assume Chad will be next.

I googled some of the participant's Twitters last night after the show. Chad's tweets were interesting - he cares a lot about this stuff. He was tweeting from the stage - maybe that's why he's getting the votes. From his Twitter and Facebook fans.

vCash
    Niecy - she danced with such pure enjoyment every time - what a joy to watch and funny. I would have to say that Niecy left with as much joy and enthusiasm in her parting - though she clearly wanted to stay in the competition as long as possible. She also certainly didn't need any host prompting to tell us how she felt about what Louis had done for her. I admit I didn't see the early season's so was unfamiliar with Louis until he paired with Kelly Osborne but he seems to be such a chameleon - fits in perfectly with his partners and always always shows them respect - unlike how some of the other dancers treat their partners. I think in the last 2 seasons he has quietly taken his partners so much further than anyone imagined possible on week 1.

Chad - don't get him - he has had only the odd moment of actually looking like he is dancing. Strangely I find myself pulling for Erin - maybe it is her having to put up with tempermental Maks. I have to agree with Len about being confused on Evan's dancing. He's got it, now he doesn't, now he does again. He is really trying though so gets credit for that from me. To my uneducated eye Nicol is something of a wonder - I find I actually watch her more than flamboyant Derek though he is still dancing up a storm too. He certainly isn't able to upstage her the way Mark sometimes does with his partners regardless of capability level. Despite all that, for some reason I just don't connect with their dancing the way I have with other good dancers in other seasons. I'm confused about that too - are they just too polished? Or maybe I don't see a connection between the two dancers - something missing in the chemistry? All in all I'm not sure why but this season has been the least captivating for me. I haven't been sad to see any of the competitors go - rather have been wishing they would hurry up and eliminate more of them. Okay maybe not 100% true - I kind of wanted to see more of Shannon to see if she could improve and find out more about her personality. I think it would have proved to be surprisingly different from her press.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheylana View Post
    How come last season Dance Center berated Mya for being a ringer, but Nicole gets the Most Perfect and Talented Dancer Evah! edit with nary a mention of being a ringer (and a whiny annoying one at that)?
    Bigger boobs and skimpier costumes.

Corgi Wrangler
    vCash
    Ballet is very useful if you weren't TOO into it. For Latin, you WANT turnout and only Paso has heel leads. And the posture and core control is vital for all ballroom. Too much time en pointe can ruin your ankles, though, which you NEED, plus too much turnout makes stardard a nightmare as there should be no turnout at all. (I do not have a ballet background--a semester in college with an SAB-trained teacher--but I have INSANE natural turnout/open hips, like 'OE spreadeagle? Piece of cake!', can stand with one foot pointing forward and the other backwards, turnout, and while that means my Latin/Rhythm pros rarely have to say much, Standard is hell.) Also, the Cuban hip action is pretty much unique to ballroom And Nicole is doin it rong. It is NOT about circling, shaking side to side, or just 'moving your hips'. It's a figure-eight action that is properly generated through use of the foot-toe to ball to arch to ankle to knee to hip. There is even some difference of opinion for low-level dancers about whether as a teacher, you want them to use their hips whether it's REALLY right or not to have the look and feel (current/Latin pro) and to get used to it, or to not do it unless it's really being generated by the feet (Rhythm pro, who'd rather see me have less hip action but get it right when it's there.)

Where Nicole really gets an advantage is--she's used to dancing, in heels, in choreographed routines, to learning those routines quickly, to standing and supporting herself like a dancer. Derek can nitpick and fine tune and create more showy or complex things because he has a lot less to do with her. There a some things about her (her hips, as mentioned, plus some use of the feet in Latin especially) that aren't very GOOD, but he can hide that with bigger tricks. Erin can also do the splits and backbends, but between that she doesn't have the quick retention and fluidity that comes from dancing A LOT to hide the clunky feet. (Which is why Maks should MAKE HER wear her heels to practice ALL the time, but I digress.)

vCash
    Although I'd like to see Evan win this, there's something ... lacking in his personality. He doesn't come across as personable guy, and this might harm him next week, that and how those three judges on that panel pretended to snooze while Evan was talking.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cupid View Post
    Although I'd like to see Evan win this, there's something ... lacking in his personality. He doesn't come across as personable guy, and this might harm him next week, that and how those three judges on that panel pretended to snooze while Evan was talking.
    That was staged. He was deliberately accentuating the monotone for Dance Center. I know he's a bit bland, but seriously, you didn't get that it was done as a joke?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by pixie cut View Post
    That was staged. He was deliberately accentuating the monotone for Dance Center. I know he's a bit bland, but seriously, you didn't get that it was done as a joke?
    I know that it was staged (i.e. the Dance Center guys reaction), but I honestly thought that they had used a more extended clip of Evan's comments that they had used on a previous show. Sometimes his monotone delivery can be really jarring -- I'm thinking of one of the post-dance "interviews" where Anna was all excited and lively and then Evan's comments were like dropping a ton of wet cement on the interaction. The contrast between the two of them made it especially bad and I hoped that it hadn't cost him a few votes, because it was really deflating after a good performance. Sometimes Evan can speak in a more modulated and animated way, but sometimes his voice and dead pan expression is

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by pixie cut View Post
    No, I think you're incorrect about the staging or that it was a "joke". That's how he's been talking. If I thought it was real, how many others thought so, too.

(And you don't have to roll your eyes).

Beach Bum
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by danceronice View Post
    Ballet is very useful if you weren't TOO into it. For Latin, you WANT turnout and only Paso has heel leads. And the posture and core control is vital for all ballroom. Too much time en pointe can ruin your ankles, though, which you NEED, plus too much turnout makes stardard a nightmare as there should be no turnout at all.
    Yeah, I was too into ballet - nearly 25 years worth. Really hard to make myself step on a heel unless it is an exaggerated contemporary move or a foot that is not turned out. So I guess Latin would be my only shot eh? (except for that ankle surgery I had). People still make fun of me because I walk with my feet turned out. They are permanently turned that way. Definitely not straight.

Quote Originally Posted by danceronice View Post
    Erin can also do the splits and backbends, but between that she doesn't have the quick retention and fluidity that comes from dancing A LOT to hide the clunky feet. (Which is why Maks should MAKE HER wear her heels to practice ALL the time, but I digress.)
    Apart from the clunky feet, she has chicken wing arm a lot too. That bugs me.
    I think I will have a snack and take a nap before I eat and go to sleep.

Cruder than you thought
    vCash
    I don't give a rusty hoot about ringerness - IMO, both Kristi and Evan have had an advantage coming in as skaters over a lot of the others, so if that doesn't bother me, I'd be hypocritical to get upset about people with non-ballroom dance experience. However, I do care about personalities, and that's where Nicole loses.

It's also getting incredibly annoying that Derek seems to get favoritism in terms of who he is partnered with. All of them, on paper at least, have been potential contenders...Jennie Garth maybe the least, and she was no Erica Kane or Jane Seymour.
    Disclaimer: The post contained herein represents the opinions of a fan and may or may not bear any relation to reality.

Satisfied skating fan
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by AYS View Post

It's also getting incredibly annoying that Derek seems to get favoritism in terms of who he is partnered with. All of them, on paper at least, have been potential contenders...Jennie Garth maybe the least, and she was no Erica Kane or Jane Seymour.
    It was the same with Julianne. Give Louis and Maks a chance
    Adelina Sotnikova defeated the curse of Esta She is indeed the Greatest Of All Time!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by AYS View Post
    Even Julianne got Adam Carolla. Mark had Kristi and Shawn, but also got Kim Kardashian and Melissa Joan Hart. Cheryl has been to the finals four times, but has also worked with Wayne Newton and Tom Delay. I don't get Derek's ridiculous good fortune.

Oh, Jane Seymour could dance (ballet trained). She was 56 at the time, so there were some limits, but her foxtrot and waltz were things of beauty. I actually consider her well above average. On the other hand, Susan Lucci, Kathy Ireland and Kate Gosselin were Tony's burdens.

vCash
    Niecy and Louis on the Kimmel show (those shoes! ) :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4fH6EEgEwGU

And--silver lining, folks--we'll get to see the dynamic duo movin' and groovin' again. "We get to come back for the finale, so I've got one more dance left in me," Niecy promises.

Erin Andrews, on the other hand, was feeling a little blue after Niecy's DWTS sendoff. "I don't like Tuesdays," the ESPN star says. "It's just a lot. And I love Niecy. Over the past few weeks we've all just become so close. She is such a good woman. She cracks us up, but man, she's deep."

Echoes Maksim: "She's really smart—as funny as Niecy is, she's a super clever woman."
    http://www.eonline.com/uberblog/watc...liminee_i.html

vCash
    Erin Andrews, on the other hand, was feeling a little blue after Niecy's DWTS sendoff. "I don't like Tuesdays," the ESPN star says. "It's just a lot. And I love Niecy. Over the past few weeks we've all just become so close. She is such a good woman. She cracks us up, but man, she's deep."

Echoes Maksim: "She's really smart—as funny as Niecy is, she's a super clever woman."
    Why do I think that both of them would have been much happier to see Chad go? Funny, super clever, deep -- can't really see those words applied to Mr. 85.

Two places! Atlanta suburbs and in the North Georgia Mountains
    vCash
    I think all the athletes have an advantage: they're used to focusing on their physical performance and have an advanced sense of self discipline. They're used to physical exertion and the pain that comes with a lot of it. They just have to learn a different vocabulary of movement, which isn't easy but I think easier for them. Nicole does have an advantage....but I still think her presentation while often nice to look at is pretty empty. Go Evan! I think he is very personable! I get weary of the silliness and over-blown personalities. I liked Neicy a lot, but she just wore me out, as I've said before. Too much full-blast bombast full time! Chad too-he's got this schtick going and I just think he's a total boor. With Evan and Erin (and I think the same was true of Pam) you get a variety of moods which make them a lot more "human." The others-it's just an "act" and I wonder "What are they like in real life?"

Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 LastLast