Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Artifice View Post
    Well, Kwan has always demonstrated a sheer joy while skating and she never appeared to me as a presumptuous diva unlike Corwin who just has too much confidence for my taste, especially considering that technically and artistically wise she was never a real master. And the tiara... I like subtle skaters, those who demonstrate joy with more humility.
    Gordeeva or Janet Lynn both are very expressive and demonstrate a real sheer joy in their skating, but they are far from looking like presomptuous divas on the ice.
    She maybe wasn't worthy of a gold medal but she was better than you, than me and than a lot of skater, no need to bash.

vCash
    Good grief, am I the ONLY person in the world who recognized the tiara as part of the "Holly Golightly" aspect of her costume, considering it was music from Breakfast at Tiffany's and the overall look resembled Audrey Hepburn's outfit in the movie??? I thought it was darling.

http://blissfleur.files.wordpress.co...-golightly.jpg

I think too much "diva emphasis" is being placed on something meant to pay tribute to a fashion icon from a fashion student and skater!

Edited to add: And my overall impression of Amber was she an all around nice person.
    "Once you've skated together long enough, and you're really good friends, you can close your eyes, put your hand out and she's right there." Joe Dolkiewicz, 2011 US Novice Pairs Bronze Medalist

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Yazmeen View Post
    Good grief, am I the ONLY person in the world who recognized the tiara as part of the "Holly Golightly" aspect of her costume, considering it was music from Breakfast at Tiffany's and the overall look resembled Audrey Hepburn's outfit in the movie??? I thought it was darling.
    Um, I think we all got the reference to Breakfast at Tiffanys. The problem was that she is no Audrey Hepburn, and it came across as a poorly misguided attempt to recreate her iconic image. Epic fail.
    I've run into her at several competitions, and she has always been nice and friendly. I don't think anyone is bashing her personally, just her skating, which is kinda merited. IMO.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Nours View Post
    She maybe wasn't worthy of a gold medal but she was better than you, than me and than a lot of skater, no need to bash.
    Obviously you didn't read my previous post and talk a little too fast because in my post I said that whatever we can say bad about Corwin she managed to be in the US team, and she had the right level to compete internationaly.

And in case you didn't notice this is the "Why all the Amber Corwin bashing ?" thread, meaning that we are talking about why indeed she may be bashed. If you don't want to read that there are tons of other topics that will satisfy you.

“It is far more important to have a good judge than a possible conflict of interest." - Ottavio Cinquanta
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by IceKween View Post
    Um, I think we all got the reference to Breakfast at Tiffanys. The problem was that she is no Audrey Hepburn, and it came across as a poorly misguided attempt to recreate her iconic image. Epic fail.
    I've run into her at several competitions, and she has always been nice and friendly. I don't think anyone is bashing her personally, just her skating, which is kinda merited. IMO.
    Was Oksana really a Swan with the thing on her head? Or Johnny with the red glove? Or any of the other skaters who have skated to themes. Give Amber a break. What skater would be iconic enough to portray Audrey? Michelle? But then there would be complaints that Audrey wasn't Asian... I thought Amber's program was pretty unique, and her lack of podium finishes is sort of made irrelevant by her insanely long career.

vCash
    Last edited by Kiss My 1040; 05-14-2010 at 11:39 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Artifice View Post
    Obviously you didn't read my previous post and talk a little too fast because in my post I said that whatever we can say bad about Corwin she managed to be in the US team, and she had the right level to compete internationaly.

And in case you didn't notice this is the "Why all the Amber Corwin bashing ?" thread, meaning that we are talking about why indeed she may be bashed. If you don't want to read that there are tons of other topics that will satisfy you.
    Although I admit I have spoken a bit fast I did read the whole thread meanwhile people where posting, sorry if FSUsers' name are not pritted in my mind along with who posted what At least, my post wasn't silly.

And on the tiara if it's the one she wore during her Moon River SP, I don't understand all the WTF things. It's part of Ladiezzzz/pretty princess, I can't remember a name but a lot of skaters including in dance and maybe pairs have things like that in the hair, it's only a part of the costume. At lower levels too.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Yazmeen View Post

http://blissfleur.files.wordpress.co...-golightly.jpg

I think too much "diva emphasis" is being placed on something meant to pay tribute to a fashion icon from a fashion student and skater!

Edited to add: And my overall impression of Amber was she an all around nice person.
    Seriously, the tiara was a Holly Golightly reference, people! Geez. And if Amber didn't deserve to portray Audry Hepburn's character, then, as Leafygreens pointed out, nobody should be allowed to skate to Swan Lake or Firebird because they are human and could never pass for real birds.
    Anyway, I never thought she came across as diva-esque or overconfident. I used to run into her at the rink from time to time and she was always very down-to-earth and friendly.
    Last edited by Doubletoe; 05-14-2010 at 11:30 PM.

vCash
    Met/interviewed Amber a few times.

She was pleasant and friendly every time and not a diva.

Aside from the tiara, which wasn't even as bad as say, Vanessa Giunchi's headscarves, I thought she had some nice costumes. Loved her "Chicago" costume and program (still trying to find it on YouTube).

I think what held her back was 1) poor technique and 2) a body-type/proportion that wasn't suited for skating. I think the loop was the only triple she didn't pre- or under-rotate. And while she didn't have a lot of flexibility or the best positions, I think she moved pretty well and always had interesting music selections and choreography.

And, to have a skating career three times as long as Tara Lipinski's says something.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Quintuple View Post

c.) There's something I've been wanting to say for years that I've only ever thought to myself, but it's so incredibly rude I can't say it here. But it would totally be reason #9.
    The nose?

Official FSU Alte Kacher
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Kiss My 1040 View Post
    Well said.
    "Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity”– MLK

vCash
    This thread is soooooo 2006.

The infamous tiara wouldn't have been so criticized if the program itself wasn't soooo dippy. It was just very lame and therefore the tiara got a lot of attention.

I don't know if I'd call her FSU's all time gay icon, but she's definitely the all time fag hag; who could forget her freeskate to the Birdcage?

vCash
    I always liked Amber's skating. She was one of those skaters I could just enjoy without worrying about jumps or placements. Qualifying to Nationals as many times as she did along with placing top 10 most of those times are certainly impressive accomplishments.

vCash
    I always appreciated her skating for what it was. She wasn't destined to win titles, but she did entertain the crowd.

Then there was that thread in 2001(?) about whether or not she had shaved under her arms before her long program at US Nationals. She deserves icon status for that kind of attention alone. It was right up there with the analysis of Sasha's moles vs. skin cancer and the growth on Michelle's back vs. bunched illusion fabric of the same time period.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123