Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by IceKween View Post
    I wouldn't call it Amber bashing. Heck, she did more with her modicum of talent than anyone would have thought. The problem was that there was just nothing RIGHT about her skating. Her inherent movement and carriage was all wrong, reminiscent of Sarah Hughes. She really didn't have any reliable "triple". Her sal and toe were basically 2axels. Plus she fell all the time or severely underrotated on the higher triples. Her Audrey Hepburn routine with the same plastic tiara my sister had growing up was either gay icon status worthy or just flat out WRONG, hard to even figure that one out it was so WTF.
    Also, at 27 years of age with a fashion degree, one would have expected her presentation via costuming and makeup to have been considerably better. What junior college did she get that degree from? They should rescind it.
    How were her sal and toe double axels? That doesn't make any sense to me.

vCash
    I guess maybe because they were so prerotated, it was basically 2.5 rotations, I'm not sure though..

Anyhow, it was clear the judges dinged Amber for her jump technicque, I remember her technical scores were always low even when she skated cleanly (as low as 4.3 in the 2002 NHK Trophy and 5.2-5.7 for 7 triples at the 2001 US Nationals). And because of CoP's absurd underrotation rules, should would be screwed now..

And you guys should check this site out (takes awhile to scroll down though): http://www.craigheath.com/craigarticles.htm

Amber's Ideal Day:
    "my perfect day would be to wake up at my beach house, walking to Pilates class while drinking a double tall, nonfat, extra hot latte with two raw sugars from Starbucks, listening to Sting, followed by a game of beach volleyball, lunch at an outside cafe with friends, a sushi dinner, going to a Madonna concert in the evening and finally sitting in a nice, quaint martini lounge with Diana Krall playing in the background."

Dashing Between Bennetton and Krispy Kreme
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by shady82 View Post
    And you guys should check this site out (takes awhile to scroll down though): http://www.craigheath.com/craigarticles.htm

Amber's Ideal Day:
    "my perfect day would be to wake up at my beach house, walking to Pilates class while drinking a double tall, nonfat, extra hot latte with two raw sugars from Starbucks, listening to Sting, followed by a game of beach volleyball, lunch at an outside cafe with friends, a sushi dinner, going to a Madonna concert in the evening and finally sitting in a nice, quaint martini lounge with Diana Krall playing in the background."

There you have it. Carrie Bradshaw can really skate!

In the middle of a hair war with Alena Leonova.
    vCash
    a.) When I was looking up what I'm about to say, I found this oddity: Corwin: The Chronicles of Amber

b.) I think this is pretty legendary: http://www.isuresults.com/results/gpchn05/SEG003.HTM

I remember that date (Where were you when man landed on the moon?) - I had just joined FSU, and one of the first PBP threads I ever read contained a ton of, "WTF did Amber Corwin do to score 11 points TES in the SP?" It wasn't an incomplete program, no freak malfunction, and she wasn't an OES/OOS/OAS/ONAS. Daaayum. I think that's your #8.

c.) There's something I've been wanting to say for years that I've only ever thought to myself, but it's so incredibly rude I can't say it here. But it would totally be reason #9.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by blue_idealist View Post
    How were her sal and toe double axels? That doesn't make any sense to me.
    She often prerotated those jumps, meaning by the time she launched herself into the air, her body was pretty much already facing forward like it would be with an axel jump--essentially making the jump easier to complete since, technically, only 2.5 revolutions were actually done in the air.

It was a common tactic Amber used to disguise her jumping weaknesses.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by DBZ View Post
    She often prerotated those jumps, meaning by the time she launched herself into the air, her body was pretty much already facing forward like it would be with an axel jump--essentially making the jump easier to complete since, technically, only 2.5 revolutions were actually done in the air.
    A journey well begun is half finished.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Quintuple View Post
    c.) There's something I've been wanting to say for years that I've only ever thought to myself, but it's so incredibly rude I can't say it here. But it would totally be reason #9.
    You can tell us .

Banned Member
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Rex View Post
    never-failing in its underrotation.
    Wasn't it more pre-rotation?
    Without fear you cannot find courage

vCash
    She did have a remarkably long and fairly consistent career, during an era of baby ballerinas and jumping bean flameouts. so good for her to have showed up at US nationals well trained. She did seem to be the consummate student/athlete, determined to get her degree.

I admit I did crack up at the tiara and headband diva outfits.

For that alone, she earned icon status. Every year at nationals, the question would be: WTF is Amber wearing?

vCash
    I preferred that tiara to the headbands. Those things make her look like she had a rash on her forehead.

vCash
    Amber's Ideal Day:

I read that before. Stereotypical day of a preppy yuppie from Southern California.

(I'm being an asshole because I'm from NJ. )

Tranquillo
    vCash
    I always liked Amber, and as someone mentioned above, I liked the fact she kept skating because she really seemed to enjoy it. Good for her for going to school while she competed, as well.
    "The Devil is joining in, and that's never a good sign." Phil Liggett

vCash
    She did seem to enjoy it! Especially the costumes.......

and Quintuple, I would love to hear your reason #9. Send me a message about it if you want.

vCash
    Amber's Ideal Day:

That is why this woman is FSU's Unofficial Gay Icon.

vCash
    When Amber first started competing in seniors, I remember thinking she seemed to have potential. Then after a few years, I found her skating kind of annoying (JMO), and wondered when she was going to quit. But as she kept going, I began to really look forward to seeing her, and I was actually sad when she finally retired.

vCash
    Amber Corwin, whatever her weaknesses were and despites the fact I didn't like her style, actually managed to get to the international with the US team ! That is an accomplishment.
    Many skaters couldn't do that, and she did. So she had the right level. However internationaly she was not really competitive but it can't be said she was bad or without qualities since she earned her spot in the team.

By the way, other than her discutable technic what I really don't like is her overacted diva attitude, her exageretad confidence. She always seemed to consider herself as the most beautifull and interesting skater in the world, when she was far from being pretty to begin with. Just this presomptuous attitude...

vCash
    [

By the way, other than her discutable technic what I really don't like is her overacted diva attitude, her exageretad confidence. She always seemed to consider herself as the most beautifull and interesting skater in the world, when she was far from being pretty to begin with. Just this presomptuous attitude...[/QUOTE]

You have just described a skater that skated for the sheer joy of skating and a person that seems to enjoy her life. I saw Amber at last week's US Figure Skating's Governing Council. Amber is still the same outgoing and pleasant person that fans witnessed during her competition days.
    Morry Stillwell

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Morry Stillwell View Post
    [

You have just described a skater that skated for the sheer joy of skating and a person that seems to enjoy her life. I saw Amber at last week's US Figure Skating's Governing Council. Amber is still the same outgoing and pleasant person that fans witnessed during her competition days.
    I can't say I was ever a big fan of Amber's skating, but she always seemed like a sweet person and a hard worker. It's great to hear she's doing well.
    "Liking this sport is ridiculous, so you’re a little different for liking it, she explained. But you’re allowed to like what you like." - Robert Samuels

vCash
    I think the only thing "diva" about Amber Corwin is her ability to get along great with gay guys.

A friend of mine at met her once and said he wishes he lived closer to LA because Amber would've been a great f_g hag.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Morry Stillwell View Post
    [

Well, Kwan has always demonstrated a sheer joy while skating and she never appeared to me as a presumptuous diva unlike Corwin who just has too much confidence for my taste, especially considering that technically and artistically wise she was never a real master. And the tiara... I like subtle skaters, those who demonstrate joy with more humility.
    Gordeeva or Janet Lynn both are very expressive and demonstrate a real sheer joy in their skating, but they are far from looking like presomptuous divas on the ice.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast