Page 23 of 23 FirstFirst ... 13212223
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Skittl1321 View Post
    It's pretty shocking to see so many break ups. I haven't followed US pairs for that long- is this a typical year, or is it more than usual?
    I'm not sure if there are more break-ups compared to normal, but I feel like there are an unusually high percentage of retirements.

Recovering from the Olys
    vCash
    Here's a good local Colorado article about the end of Lisa Moore/Justin Gaumond's six-year pair partnership: http://www.coloradoan.com/article/20...ORTS/103310369

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Skittl1321 View Post
    Well hopefully all the pairs will get shuffled around so they can settle down before the Olympic season! It's pretty shocking to see so many break ups. I haven't followed US pairs for that long- is this a typical year, or is it more than usual?
    This is very typical of US pairs. One of the only differences, I think, is seeing higher-ranked pairs splitting/retiring faster than maybe they normally would. It's also odd to see the total number of Sr US pairs at Nationals dipping below 15.

If you want to look at the numbers-- 12 of the 16 pairs from 2010 Nationals have either split/retired, and so far 5 of the 14 pairs from 2011 Nationals have done the same (or you could consider it 7 out of 16, since two teams that qualified but withdrew from this year's Nationals also split).

During the previous Olympic cycle, 12 of 18 pairs from 2006 Nationals (the Olympic year) split/retired by the following year, and after 2007 Nationals, 7 of 16 pairs also split. So the numbers from both time periods are very comparable. Of course, most of the splits come from the pairs that finish towards the bottom of the Nationals standings. Partner shuffling amongst the lower-ranked US pairs has happened a lot, which makes sense.

If only there was less emphasis on Nationals and there was a way to give these skaters additional important competitions to fill out their seasons. Obviously, Nationals has to be more important than most other events, but there just seems to be too much riding on it. It's sad when teams split after a bad result there, even if they were capable of skating better and could have shown that had they had more opportunity. This is just a general issue that skating has... It's a lot more discouraging to skate poorly at a skating competition than it would be to, say, ski poorly in a skiing race, since skiers get to compete so frequently and "redeem" themselves. The figure skaters overseas get to compete more often in Sr Bs and what not, but for the lower to mid-ranked US pairs, they don't get many chances to try to skate their best and really feel accomplished.

Quote Originally Posted by madm View Post
    He is not big enough for her. His build is more slight than Jeremy's.
    Cohen is taller than Jeremy though. He's listed at 6'0", and even if he's not quite that, he's still noticeably taller.

Quote Originally Posted by dupagegal View Post
    Caydee and Cohen......no way.....He is not good enough for her.....He is very average jumps.......edges not very good.........he should quit now and go to school back in Boston.
    He should keep skating if he wants to and not be told what to do by strangers.
    Last edited by stjeaskategym; 04-11-2011 at 10:14 AM.

Awaiting Validation
    vCash
    I agree there should be less break-ups but there is a lot riding on a season. This sport is expensive and to hitch your waggon to someone who just is not as talented or motivated or focused or just got too big is always a consideration. Plus Im amazed at how the ladies in pairs think they can try to control things.....bad idea. There are many on IPS that should have kept their mouth shut and kept working. lol

vCash
    I want to see Rockne Brubaker move to the top next season.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by The Observer View Post
    I want to see Rockne Brubaker move to the top next season.
    Without Denney and Barrett, it looks as if Marley/Brubaker could move up to a bronze medal position at Nats (or higher)

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by blue_idealist View Post
    Without Denney and Barrett, it looks as if Marley/Brubaker could move up to a bronze medal position at Nats (or higher)
    it all depends of course on how they 'gel'. They came a long way in a very short amount of time

Page 23 of 23 FirstFirst ... 13212223