vCash

Ice Rink in Indy?

Are the ice rinks still in the Pan Am center in downtown Indianapolis, or did those end up moving? Are there any rinks right in downtown now?
    Use Yah Blinkah!

vCash
    Indiana World Skating Academy

http://www.iwsa.org/

Shadow dancing
    vCash
    Yes. They hosted the Adult Midwesterns in March. I heard at the competition that the facility was going to shut down, though. I don't know any details.

They had a huge school-type public skate come in during one of the events (Championship Masters Int/Nov Men) for the lower rink. The kids were very interested and stopped to watch. The skater at the time loved it (I asked if it freaked him out, he said no - it was great!)

vCash
    I knew they were moving. They were talking about that a couple of years ago, and even then it seemed imminent, so now, before I travel and decide to schlep my skates, I ask!

I'm going to mourn when this rink leaves downtown. I actually purposefully pick Indy over much more exciting work travel destinations because the ice rink is RIGHT THERE.
    Use Yah Blinkah!

Shadow dancing
    vCash
    The location is pretty cool - even if parking was expensive. Of course we parked at the garage attached to the rink - figured it was easier to pay more then try to find parking elsewhere.

vCash
    When I go, I stay at a hotel that's across the street from the ballfield, so I just walk over.
    Use Yah Blinkah!

vCash
    PanAm is still open and will be open indefinitely. It was supposed to be closing any day when I moved here 5 years ago. They had a buyer for the property who was going to tear it down and build a hotel, but with the subsequent bank crisis, financing fell through. I heard the skating program there is considering building a new facility in a different area (not downtown), but that is still a rumor right now. They won't be going anywhere for a while.

It is much cheaper and just as easy to park across the street in the Circle Centre Mall parking. They charge $1.50 for 3 hours as long as there is not a special event going on.

vCash
    The show I go to is at the Convention Center, and we stay at the Marriott, so I just walk across the street and go skating. Which is actually why I pick Indy for my trip in the first place.

It was about three years ago that I first heard they were moving... and every year since, they are still moving...

I don't mind if they don't move. I like the facility, although it could use some sprucing up. Although it's a lot nicer than some of the rinks I skate in in the NY/NJ area. At least the ice is always in good shape.
    Use Yah Blinkah!

vCash
    They haven't done as much maintenance as they should have considering they thought it would be closing soon. I don't blame them, as I probably wouldn't have, either, but that's just why it is the way it is.

The ice is not *always* in good shape. I've been there quite a few times when there was a lovely dip in certain places. It is usually not bad, but there are times when it is not good, either.

The good news is that they have just completed some ice maintenance on the upstairs rink. I haven't been there in about a month, so I can't comment on how the ice is now.