Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
    Re-registered User
    vCash
    I don't think series like Heroes and Dollhouse play very well as a weekly series. There are too many interconnecting plots and too many main characters. I actually enjoyed Season 3 of Heroes but I rented it and watched it over the course of a week. None of the episodes of these series are very good as stand alone shows, because it is hard to have a story for each episode along with the continuing storyline.

Shows that succeed in this way have only one or two central characters- 24, Fringe, X Files.

I'm not sure how LOST fits into this theory, except maybe that The Island and the mystery are actually the central character, and the people are secondary.
    ‎"You emerge victorious from the maze you've been travelling in." Oct 21,2012- Best Fortune Cookie Ever!

Satisfied skating fan
    vCash
    Sorry about FF, but Modern Family and Justified both renewed so I'm good. MF makes me laugh out loud and Timothy Olyphant is gorgeous. Plus, I love Elmore Leonard and he's an executive producer on Justified.
    Those who never succeed themselves are always the first to tell you how.

vCash
    FF - bummed - it has been getting good
    L&O - sad to see it go, but there are so many episodes I have not seen - so syndication is still there. I always enjoyed the show, but never recorded it, since not serial. Also enjoy the spinoffs. But to me, L&O has not been the same since Jerry Orbach's character retired. Lenny was great!!

vCash
    Fox network ordered comedy "Traffic Light", based on the Israeli series of the same name. TL, one of the highest-rated comedy on Israeli TV, revolves around three male friends in different stages of relationships:
    green for a free single man,
    yellow for a single man who is in long dating relationship with the same girlfriend and is about to marry her,
    and finally a married man whose status is similar to the red light because it brings him to a => stop status.
    Bob Fisher ("The Wedding Crashers") is going to be the co-writer along with the Israeli team.
    I hope that the American adaptation will be as funny as the original one.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by smurfy View Post
    FF - bummed - it has been getting good
    L&O - sad to see it go, but there are so many episodes I have not seen - so syndication is still there. I always enjoyed the show, but never recorded it, since not serial. Also enjoy the spinoffs. But to me, L&O has not been the same since Jerry Orbach's character retired. Lenny was great!!
    Lenny was great--but Jerry Orbach died, so it was a bit difficult to keep Lenny going!
    "Me, cutie/chicken, the egg cup, I am the hammer of my spoon!"--Jen_Faith translation

vCash
    I think Lenny left before Jerry died. Wasn't he the star of a spin off that bombed with his death?

vCash
    Jerry Orback was a guest star really on Law and Order Trial By Jury - the star was Bebe Neuwirth

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by caseyedwards View Post
    Jerry Orback was a guest star really on Law and Order Trial By Jury - the star was Bebe Neuwirth
    Yes, his last episode was wonderful. I loved when he said good bye to the Lt saying it was his longest relationship with a woman.
    As much as I have enjoyed L&O, and it was created as a show that would not rely on any star/actor/actresses, Jerry Orbach made that show.
    Note - I read an article with Dick Wolf awhile back, and he had worked on some show in the 80s with some young guys that did well, and after one year held out for more money, so that is how he created L&O- not wanting to depend on actors. Also the article mentioned that the L&O franchise generated something like 25% of the profits for NBC for a time.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by smurfy View Post
    Yes, his last episode was wonderful. I loved when he said good bye to the Lt saying it was his longest relationship with a woman.
    As much as I have enjoyed L&O, and it was created as a show that would not rely on any star/actor/actresses, Jerry Orbach made that show.
    Note - I read an article with Dick Wolf awhile back, and he had worked on some show in the 80s with some young guys that did well, and after one year held out for more money, so that is how he created L&O- not wanting to depend on actors. Also the article mentioned that the L&O franchise generated something like 25% of the profits for NBC for a time.
    That would have been Miami Vice. Where is Phillip Michael Thomas now? Somewhere in Rex's house chained to the wall?

vCash
    There is a new Superheroes show coming up with sci-fi favorite Summer Glau

http://justjared.buzznet.com/2010/05...glau-the-cape/

vCash
    Summer!!! Awesome. Loved her in Firefly. Of course, I also loved Nathan, Gina and the rest of them too. Talk about a show that got canceled way too soon!

Not upset to see Heroes go but it would be nice to see closure on that and Flash Forward.

Going to be odd next year with both 24 and Lost off my DVR schedule. (although I do think 24 went on 2 seasons too long )

vCash
    Fans of history shows should also check out Spartacus: Blood and Sand. It takes a while to get into it and you might be put off by the violence and 300esque graphics, but the patience is well worth it.

Starz ordered a second season, but it's temporarily on hold as the lead actor is getting treatment for lymphoma.

vCash
    Summer Glau AND James Frain???? I'm in!

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news...-With-The-Cape

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Yehudi View Post
    Fans of history shows should also check out Spartacus: Blood and Sand. It takes a while to get into it and you might be put off by the violence and 300esque graphics, but the patience is well worth it.

Starz ordered a second season, but it's temporarily on hold as the lead actor is getting treatment for lymphoma.
    You could also be offended by the lots of gratuitous nudity-lots of it. Just to put that out there with the violence warnings.

vCash
    I watched Law and Order from it's inception, so I'm really sad to see it go away. The constant changes in cast made it seem fresh and revitalized every few years, but I guess all good things must come to an end. But it was a treat to see all the great New York actors guest star on the show, plus the occaisional big names like Julia Roberts and Gary Busey. But it's going to live on in reruns forever, and with 400+ episodes to watch, it won't get stale soon.

I actually thought for a while Dick Wolf might as well start up a Law and Order channel to show reruns of all the shows all the time!

Now I'll really be sad when The Simpson's has it's last episode, hopefully that is a long way off.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayar View Post
    That would have been Miami Vice. Where is Phillip Michael Thomas now? Somewhere in Rex's house chained to the wall?
    Pul-leese! No deadbeat daddies in this bed, no matter how fine they are!

Phillip's nickname should be "Johnny Appleseed" .

Tranquillo
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jayar View Post
    His last imdb entry is from 2006 - a voice in a Grand Theft Auto game.
    "The Devil is joining in, and that's never a good sign." Phil Liggett

From the Bloc
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by tarotx View Post
    Interesting about AI getting their schedule cut, and rather severely.

For those wondering about Lonestar - it's been known as Midland in preproduction, and there's a full cast list on imdb.

vCash
    I heard Brothers & Sisters was only picked up for 18 episodes this season.

Is this expected to be their last?

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast