Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Asli View Post
    I wonder how this is going to be evaluated?! How are the judges supposed to know if the audience understood the story or whether they understood it correctly? Are they going to hand out questionnaires to the audience at the end of each free dance?
    Each audience member will be asked to write a 500 word essay at the end of each program to see if they understand it. Then those are handed to the TC who then decides which essay makes the most sense and then decides if the program is suitable or not. If it is not a 1 point deduction applies.

You think the dicussions that go on after a skater finishes take time now. Wait until they introduce this.

On the other hand, it could lead to some incredibly voidy takes on dance programs.
    When you are up to your arse in alligators it is difficult to remember you were only meant to be draining the swamp.

vCash
    Ugh. Let's ruin dance even more...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by genevieve View Post
    I've been doing my best to ignore the rumors of this rule change (basically sticking my fingers in my ears and going "lalalalalala!!". This just sucks. And WTH is that? Are audiences that stupid that they need captions on their skating programs?
    If the audience gives the performance a standing ovation, there should be no question as to whether the program was clearly understood!

If the audience is looking towards each other with weird looks on their faces going, "WTF was THAT all about????" there might be an issue, particulalrly if the judges want to place that team lower. I think that perhaps Crone/Poirier's FD best fits a rule v penalty:

The program was supposed to be Orpheus and Eurydice, but was not skated to any music that has ever been used for the story, despite there being Orpheus in the Underworld, the ballet Balanchine did to Stravinsky, the opera (1600) Eurydice, etc. etc.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orpheus_and_Eurydice

The coaches had a page of explanations that it was Opheus and Eurydice and what the movements were supposed to portray on line (an obvious admission that if you polled an audience who hadn't heard the explanation,not a single member would have guessed the answer)

It missed the single most important elements of the story, despite the fact that the writeup claims that it occurs at the end-he should never look at her for a large block of time (after any harp playing section), should visibly turn to look at her, she should turn to stone, and he should go on without her.

BTW, if a team has no particular connection, it's a good story line for them

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Aussie Willy View Post
    Each audience member will be asked to write a 500 word essay at the end of each program to see if they understand it. Then those are handed to the TC who then decides which essay makes the most sense and then decides if the program is suitable or not. If it is not a 1 point deduction applies.
    That's the way to do it. However, in order for this evaluation to be fair, members of the audience should not be allowed to speak to each other or compare notes.

vCash
    can the OD still be to dramatic music? Not that I love angst, but it's so good sometimes to hear a dark song.. it's a silly rule. I don't understand why they would impose such a rule as this.

vCash
    If the SD can't be sad, what the heck will they skate any SD themed as a Blues to? (BTW I'm not sure that sad = "not uplifting"?)

vCash
    so is Free Dance going to stay Free at all???

Prick Admin
    vCash
    Free the Free Dance!
    To think that fun is simple fun, while earnest things are earnest, proves all too plain that neither one thou truthfully discernest.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Asli View Post
    That's the way to do it. However, in order for this evaluation to be fair, members of the audience should not be allowed to speak to each other or compare notes.
    Nor phone a friend.

Oh and they have to be hand written with ink and feather.
    When you are up to your arse in alligators it is difficult to remember you were only meant to be draining the swamp.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueRidge View Post
    Uplifting could mean any kind of program that shows the human spirit. It probably rules out portraying drug addicts skating to Requiem for a dream (no matter how hot the costume ) but a lot else could easily fit under uplifting.
    "Uplifting" is quite a vague word, but probably most coaches will have to interpret it as "cheerful", just to make sure they're not taking any risks. I'm pretty sure the rule aims at eliminating what some people call angsty programs and others call soulful, intense and dramatic programs. that includes a lot more than just the Holocaust and drug addict programs, unfortunately.

AYS's snark-sponge
    vCash
    Well if coaches are going to be stupid and think uplifting means happy face cheerful (who does shit that uplift, really? ), there's not much you can do about it. And judging by the reaction here that's what people are going to think. Self-fulfilling prophecy.

Personally I don't have a problem with smacking down the bullshit idea that "angsty" is somehow creative or voidy or art in and of itself anyway.

Be that as it may, what is the penalty if the judges decide the FD is not uplifting? Are the skaters blackballed from the competition? Flogged forty times? Forced to skate the Yankee Polka instead?
    Congratulations 2014 World Ice Dance Champions Anna Cappellini & Luca Lanotte!!!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by LilJen View Post
    I dare some team to put black makeup around their eyes, dress in rags, and skate to a dirge.
    Welcome to the Black Parade by My Chemical Romance

vCash
    I just can't see "uplifting" being workable.

Based on what criteria do you decide?

Hopefully it would only be used in case somebody had gun shot sounds "killing them."

vCash
    yep...B/A can saty this seaosn, this sounds defnetly something thta they can do.

I just can't see "uplifting" being workable.

Based on what criteria do you decide?

Hopefully it would only be used in case somebody had gun shot sounds "killing them."
    I/K had a great melancolic FD with shot sounds, the story was beatifully telled, the audience really enjoyed even beeing such a tragic FD. I don't understant why don't let the skaters work with what they want to and try to make the music work with choreo and audience as best as they can. The next step will be a "compulsory original fre dance"??
    Last edited by Valentina; 05-07-2010 at 02:47 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Aussie Willy View Post

You think the dicussions that go on after a skater finishes take time now. Wait until they introduce this.

On the other hand, it could lead to some incredibly voidy takes on dance programs.
    and the results will be announced after 5 weeks.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by LilJen View Post
    I dare some team to put black makeup around their eyes, dress in rags, and skate to a dirge.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ituriel View Post
    Welcome to the Black Parade by My Chemical Romance
    But musically I think that song is uplifting -- an anthem (says so in the lyrics), not a dirge.

Depends on the choreography and the costumes how it's interpreted.

I'd much rather listen to that than Requiem for a Dream.

AYS's snark-sponge
    vCash
    Oh well to answer my own question the ISU communication states:

The Free Dances that do not adhere to these guidelines will be severely penalized.
    How frightening.
    Congratulations 2014 World Ice Dance Champions Anna Cappellini & Luca Lanotte!!!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueRidge View Post
    Oh well to answer my own question the ISU communication states:

The Free Dances that do not adhere to these guidelines will be severely penalized.

How frightening.
    Personally, I loved your idea of making them skate the Yankee Polka...

vCash
    So, is it definite that compulsories will be out of competition now? And they will combine set pattern compulsories with the OD elements? and that is the "Short Dance"?

I saw Summerset/Gilles test dance on another thread. They skated very well, but the dance looks like a mish mosh.

I hope that compulsories don't go the way of figures. That after they are cut from competition, they will be dropped from the test schedule. No one will want to waste time practicing them to a competent level just for testing.

I don't understand what they are doing to the Free Dance. Is there a point? I get that they want to address D/S belt/lift use. I even get that they want to be very careful with what is allowed for jumps, as dance is becoming more and more like pairs. And will become more so, if they continue to add more pair elements. Dance and Pairs have been getting close to morphing into one event. What is crazy is the "audience must understand" and "up-beat music". Were there any real problems with music/understanding theme, other than D/S's OD issue with the Aboriginal theme? And this doesn't address that issue at all. Ice dancing is based in ballroom, there are "clap happy" ballroom dances, sober ballroom dances, and dramatic ballroom dances. Even if they want to get away from the "dances celebrating darkness" of the 90's, they can't ignore that dance should include drama. Though, I don't get that, since Ice Dancing has moved away from that over the top drama all on it's own. Maybe the ISU is hoping that Dance will get dropped from the Olympics (due to boredom) and Pairs will become a combination of the two.
    Last edited by cruisin; 05-07-2010 at 03:44 PM.

Brezina's Nemesis
    Collecting papers to obtain status of a Goddess for Asli
    vCash
    Happy upbeat tango!
    In Soviet Russia, the skaters lobbychick YOU.

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast