Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Asli View Post
    Who remembers the happy-clappy ones?
    I thought about Navarro & Bommentre actually. The past few years, they've done really upbeat, DWTS or SYTYCD type programs that did appeal to most audiences. Funny thing is, the judges didn't seem to like those programs at all. I'm so confused.
    Last edited by Tammi; 05-07-2010 at 12:22 AM.

Kostner Softie
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bookworm View Post
    "Uplifting"... *shudders*
    Looking at the Olympic FDs, none of the pairs who placed 2-5 had uplifting music. I fear another 1994-like season

vCash
    Quote:
    vi) The music must have an uplifting effect.

I don't even want to imagine the perky "boy loves girl" free dances we will have to endure!

Is this rule intended to please the audience?
    Me hates perky..

vCash
    I wonder how this is going to be evaluated?! How are the judges supposed to know if the audience understood the story or whether they understood it correctly? Are they going to hand out questionnaires to the audience at the end of each free dance?
    I'm imagining there will be an narrative/introduction before each free dance explaining the music and the program we are about to see

Dear spectators we are about to go on a journey together... I wonder who we could get to narrate

vCash
    This must be the ISU's way of making sure that figure skating is no longer an "art." Art is meant to be interpreted (as is music) and if you eliminate the skater's and spectator's choice to interpret the program and take away from it what you like, then figure skating is really being regulated to a point-whoring 4.5 minute race to the finish. Might as well call it track and field or acrobatics on skates.

vCash
    Why is the ISU trying to ruin Ice Dance?

vCash
    I dare some team to put black makeup around their eyes, dress in rags, and skate to a dirge.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Wyliefan View Post
    It reminds me of the famous SOI parody where the two dancers (I forget who) danced in honor of the rain forest while Paul Wylie boogied on the sidelines.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sassafras View Post
    It was Roca and Sur and I think they were skating to highlight the plight of the red ant in Brazil or some such thing It was pretty funny considering all the "angst" ice dancing going on at the time.
    Yep--plight of the red ant. That was Plan A--it failed with the judges, so they went to Plan B, where she changed her name, wore tassels, they shook and shimmied their way to the gold medal. That whole story line was a hoot--now that is one SOI season I would gladly buy the DVD for!

Quote Originally Posted by jenji124 View Post
    I'm imagining there will be an narrative/introduction before each free dance explaining the music and the program we are about to see

Dear spectators we are about to go on a journey together... I wonder who we could get to narrate
    How about James Earl Jones--at least we'd get a gorgeous voice!
    "Me, cutie/chicken, the egg cup, I am the hammer of my spoon!"--Jen_Faith translation

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Garden Kitty View Post
    Oh good, I can't wait for a free dance competition with most of the music provided by Up With People!
    LMAO!! I almost joined the 1998-1999 tour of Up With People. Was accepted but couldn't save the funds to do it.

As for the rule changes. I can understand the DomShab assisted lift rule but don't really understand the jump rule.

I am also at the having to have a simplistic theme for the FD so the audience understands.

And uplifting? I like the angst in ice dance.
    ~I am convinced that life is 10% what happens to me and 90% how I react to it.~ (Charles R. Swindoll)

vCash
    The uplifting rule is the stupidest thing the ISU has ever come up with, which considering it's the ISU, it's quite a feat. Who wants to watch one perky lovey dovey crap free dance after another? Isn't this supposed to be a free dance?! Dramatic and angsty dances can really get the audience involved. Besides, I love the catharsis

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Twilight1 View Post
    LMAO!! I almost joined the 1998-1999 tour of Up With People. Was accepted but couldn't save the funds to do it.

As for the rule changes. I can understand the DomShab assisted lift rule but don't really understand the jump rule.

I am also at the having to have a simplistic theme for the FD so the audience understands.

And uplifting? I like the angst in ice dance.
    I don't mind the jump rule, and I think the assisted lift rule is a good thing. To be frank I think what DomShabs warranted a quick rule change before the Olympics.

But I'm more than a bit upset about the simplistic themes for the FD. A huge part of what made ice dancing cool was the voidy programs and yes sometimes the drama, and now they are going to make everyone cookie cutter.

Save the Free Dance!

vCash
    "Easily understandable"?

Blanc and Bouquet should just retire.

vCash
    This is really no different than the crap they pulled in 1994. By 1997, we had angst filled FD's again. Though having to sift through perky for a couple years is very and for me
    ~I am convinced that life is 10% what happens to me and 90% how I react to it.~ (Charles R. Swindoll)

vCash
    I wonder how this is going to be evaluated?! How are the judges supposed to know if the audience understood the story or whether they understood it correctly? Are they going to hand out questionnaires to the audience at the end of each free dance?
    LMAO

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MR-FAN View Post
    Looking at the Olympic FDs, none of the pairs who placed 2-5 had uplifting music. I fear another 1994-like season
    I didn't find V/M's FD to be uplifting either. Maybe B/A should stick around for another season. I think they can do happy-clappy better than any other team!

AYS's snark-sponge
    vCash
    What do people really think "uplifting" means? It doesn't mean upbeat. My guess would be that it means don't get shot and die at the end of your Free Dance. Or possibly it means don't portray the holocaust at all.

Uplifting could mean any kind of program that shows the human spirit. It probably rules out portraying drug addicts skating to Requiem for a dream (no matter how hot the costume ) but a lot else could easily fit under uplifting.

I think its very wide open to intepretation. Ditto the silly understandable story thing, that's not even meaningful. I would hardly worry about these rules.
    Congratulations 2014 World Ice Dance Champions Anna Cappellini & Luca Lanotte!!!

vCash
    Let's look on the bright side.

Since the judges can't even evaluate whether the skaters are skating to the beat/accents, I hardly doubt the "uplifting" thing will be ever actually raised.

I hope so at least. :/

vCash
    I'm going to be optimistic here and think that the "uplifting" rule is to avoid things like "Requiem for a Dream", gunshots at the end of a program, or any other depressing or dirge-like music or theme. There is still plenty of music that is "uplifting" without being necessarily perky or happy-clappy. I think so, anyway.

ETA: I posted at the same time you did, BlueRidge, I agree with your idea...to avoid depressing themes like death.

AYS's snark-sponge
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ziggy View Post
    Let's look on the bright side.

Since the judges can't even evaluate whether the skaters are skating to the beat/accents, I hardly doubt the "uplifting" thing will be ever actually raised.

I hope so at least. :/
    Quote Originally Posted by ~tapdancer~ View Post
    I'm going to be optimistic here and think that the "uplifting" rule is to avoid things like "Requiem for a Dream", gunshots at the end of a program, or any other depressing or dirge-like music or theme. There is still plenty of music that is "uplifting" without being necessarily perky or happy-clappy. I think so, anyway.
    yeah this and this is
    Congratulations 2014 World Ice Dance Champions Anna Cappellini & Luca Lanotte!!!

vCash
    I think they just don't want something like DomShabs last FD, which was just so dark and melancholic the whole way through.

I actually liked their music, but it was not suitable for a FD the way it was edited together, or for his abilities. It just dragged them down.

I hate the choreography of D&W's FD, but to their credit they do create a "up" effect through the intensity and excitement of the movement to the music, especially towards the end of the program. I think that's what the rule might be getting at. At least I hope it is.

eta: Blueridge and tapdancer beat me to it.

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast