Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Tak View Post
    I think they meant it to be deliberately vague to give couples maximum freedom, while still giving guidelines. The only music I can see being banned under this rule [from this season] would be Requiem for a Dream - which in no way could be called uplifting.
    But that's your own personal interpretation. And that's exactly the problem here. How are the teams supposed to know which music to pick and which not to pick if the guidelines are so vague?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ziggy View Post
    But that's your own personal interpretation. And that's exactly the problem here. How are the teams supposed to know which music to pick and which not to pick if the guidelines are so vague?
    They won't because that is the whole point of this new rule. It's vagary allows the judges to implement it as they see fit. It will be used at their discretion and no one will understand it, so no one can officially question it. Skating politics as usual.

vCash
    The only music I can see being banned under this rule [from this season] would be Requiem for a Dream - which in no way could be called uplifting.
    If a team ended the program with this track, with the appropriate choreography/expression, they could argue it's has an uplifting effect (:45 in particular) compared to the intensity of the rest of the music of RFAD. It would also satisfy the change of mood/tempo requirement.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bookworm View Post
    "Uplifting"... *shudders*
    Uplifting?
    It's ICEDANCE. It should be DRAMA!!

Actually, uplifting is kinda personal, no? I mean, nothing can cheer you up more than a good cry?

@ ISU

vCash
    Have these requirements actually passed? (or are they suggestions / going to be put up for voting?)

vCash
    Some pass automatically (adjustements to the IJS), some are put up for a vote at the ISU Council (bigger changes like scrapping CDs).

vCash
    Uplifting? Does that mean we won't see Anna "dying" on the ice anymore? I won't survive this.

Oh and I DO love Requiem for the dream.

Honestly, I don't get that rule. But it's not the first time and wont be the last time that the ISU comes up with bad suprises

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Tak View Post
    I think they meant it to be deliberately vague to give couples maximum freedom, while still giving guidelines. The only music I can see being banned under this rule [from this season] would be Requiem for a Dream - which in no way could be called uplifting.
    Because I know if I hear it one more time I will want to kill myself.
    When you are up to your arse in alligators it is difficult to remember you were only meant to be draining the swamp.

The wiener takes it all
    vCash
    Today the ISU published Communication 1632, which provides some corrections to Communication 1610.

vCash
    Yet the "uplifting" rule is still in effect

Do they want to take us back to the days of the trite, corny 1994 Olympics that was a total of a Free Dance???? Or just make the FD one big extention of the Original dance?

Just scrap the Free Dance all together, make the Original Dance longer, and call it a day if that's ultimately what they want to do.

Corgi Wrangler
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by LordCirque View Post

Do they want to take us back to the days of the trite, corny 1994 Olympics that was a total of a Free Dance???? Or just make the FD one big extention of the Original dance?

Just scrap the Free Dance all together, make the Original Dance longer, and call it a day if that's ultimately what they want to do.
    I'd rather they do that than dump the compulsories, myself.

And I'm with Aussie Willie, if I hear "Requiem for a Dream" ONE MORE TIME...

vCash
    I'm still confused as to whether or not this actually was adopted at the ISU Congress.

Communicatio 1610 (dated May 4th) has this:

MUSIC: Clarifications to Rule 610, paragraph c)
    The music for Free Dance must be suitable for Ice Dance as a sport discipline and must have the following characteristics:
    i) The music must have an audible rhythmic beat and melody, or audible rhythmic beat alone, but not melody alone, and may be vocal. The music may be without an audible rhythmic beat for up to 10 seconds at the beginning or end of the program and up to 10 seconds during the program.
    ii) The music must have at least one change of tempo and/or expression. This change may be gradual or immediate, but in either case it must be obvious.
    iii) All music including classical music must be cut/edited, orchestrated or arranged in a way that it creates an interesting, colourful, entertaining dance program with different dance moods or a building effect.
    iv) The music must be suitable for the couple's skating skills and technical ability.
    v) The music must be selected so that if there is any story or theme in the routine it has to be clearly understandable to the audience.
    vi) The music must have an uplifting effect.

Communication 1621 (dated 6/24) has the following rule changes per the congress:

c) The music for Free Dance must be suitable for Ice Dance as a sport discipline and must have the following
    characteristics:
    i) The music must have an audible rhythmic beat and melody, or audible rhythmic beat alone, but not melody alone, and may be vocal. The music may be without an audible rhythmic beat for up to 10 seconds at the beginning or end of the program and up to 10 seconds during the program.
    ii) The music must have at least one change of tempo and/or expression. This change may be gradual or immediate, but in either case it must be obvious.
    iii) All music including classical music must be cut/edited, orchestrated or arranged in a way that it creates an interesting, colourful, entertaining dance program with different moods or a building effect.
    iv) The music must be suitable for the couple's skating skills and technical ability.
    Free Dances that do not adhere to these guidelines will be severely penalized.

Rule 5 and 6 from the proposal don't show up in Communication 1621.

vCash
    All music including classical music must be cut/edited, orchestrated or arranged in a way that it creates an interesting, colourful, entertaining dance program with different moods or a building effect.
    If that ain't subjective, I don't know what is. How many conversations have we had where half the posters were thrilled by a program, while the other half said the same program put them to sleep? Good luck, skaters!!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Tammi View Post
    Rule 5 and 6 from the proposal don't show up in Communication 1621.
    Indeed, thankfully those two most controversial articles have been deleted from the rule - though at that time most couples had probably chosen their music.

vCash
    Although there is one couple I have hope for, they've done several light hearted programs in the past few seasons, all of which have worked, if anyone can make light hearted programs still interesting, it's Pechelat & Bourzat. I doubt their Charlie Chaplin FD will disappoint. Their Seasons and Circus FD's definitely didn't.

But the uplifting rule has been deleted? There's time after the Grand Prix!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Asli View Post
    Indeed, thankfully those two most controversial articles have been deleted from the rule - though at that time most couples had probably chosen their music.
    So it'll just be a year. Hey, given how depressing the world is right now, a year of cheery dances might do us all some good.

vCash
    No it isn't.

Quote Originally Posted by danceronice View Post
    And I'm with Aussie Willie, if I hear "Requiem for a Dream" ONE MORE TIME...
    On my way back home today, the guy sitting behind me on the tram was listening to it (the awful remixed version too) very loud. I wanted to smack him. He soon realised the error of his ways though and switched to something else.

Quote Originally Posted by MissIzzy View Post
    So it'll just be a year. Hey, given how depressing the world is right now, a year of cheery dances might do us all some good.
    Cheery dances are depressing, though.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ziggy View Post
    On my way back home today, the guy sitting behind me on the tram was listening to it (the awful remixed version too) very loud. I wanted to smack him. He soon realised the error of his ways though and switched to something else.
    I would have been there with you in spirit and you could have smacked him down for me!

What a crock of sh*t this is!
    v) The music must be selected so that if there is any story or theme in the routine it has to be clearly understandable to the audience.
    vi) The music must have an uplifting effect.
    It is ice dance for god sake! It is not meant to be understandable nor uplifting.

I say all ice dancers should do a homage to Olga Markova's "Let my people go" complete with green feather boas in definance of these rules.

Are we now going to get 101 versions of Ave Maria?
    When you are up to your arse in alligators it is difficult to remember you were only meant to be draining the swamp.

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910