Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    vCash

Jonathan Cassar announces coaching change to Frank Carroll

He announced his change Wednesday on his official site.
    http://figureskatersonline.com/news/...rn-california/

vCash
    Wow, surprised. From a selfish fan POV I can't believe after all these years I won't get to see him @ DSC exhibitions, etc. anymore. : But if he thinks this can help him zoom up the rankings I wish him the best.

drinky typo pbp, closet hugger
    vCash
    wheeee! Jonathan Cassar is my favorite non-elite skater, I hope he is able to shine with Frank Carroll
    Q: Why can't I read the competition threads?
    A: Competition forums on the board are available to those with a Season Pass or a premium membership How to View Kiss & Cry

vCash
    I love the possibilities that I am envisioning! Obviously Evan, Mirai and Jonathan are completely different but if Frank could instill some of the technical aspects of Evan and recently Mirai into Jonathan, holy crap! I'm pumped. He's got all the grace one would ever need! He just needs to improve technically IMO. He's fantastic. I hope this works out for him. Not to sidetrack, but who does Berlin still coach now that Czisny and Cassar are out?

vCash
    The bio on his website now says his choreo will be done by David Wilson (or did he do Jonathan's choreo before?).

I guess Jonathan has finished college, or is he taking a leave of absence?

I'm looking forward to seeing how he can progress under Frank. I hope he can at least crack the top 10 in Greensboro.

Quadless
    vCash
    Very intriguing news. If Frank can expand Cassar's jump arsenal, he'll be a force.
    "I miss footwork that has any kind of a discernible pattern. The goal of a step sequence should not be for a skater to show the same ice coverage as a Zamboni and take about as much time as an ice resurface. " ~ Zemgirl, reflecting on a pre-IJS straight line sequence

Title-less
    vCash
    Intriguing...

will Cassar do C*rmen now?

vCash
    This is even more intriguing from the perspective that Frank Carroll does not appear to be winding down his coaching practice. He is continuing to take on young skaters who will hopefully be at the next Olympics.

vCash
    Beautiful picture too.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by sk9tingfan View Post
    This is even more intriguing from the perspective that Frank Carroll does not appear to be winding down his coaching practice. He is continuing to take on young skaters who will hopefully be at the next Olympics.
    That was my thought too.
    A: Competition forums on the board are available to those with a Season Pass or a premium membership How to View Kiss & Cry

moving right along
    vCash
    What an exciting combination! I hope coach and skater have great success working together. I love Cassar's skating.

vCash
    I just love his trademark DEEP inside edge spread eagle!

Cassar's only previous international assignment was 2008 Coupe de Nice in France (he placed 7th in senior) under USFS' collegiate international program, and I'm hoping he will be considered for a Senior B international this fall after his 12th place finish at Nationals.

Quote Originally Posted by Debbie S View Post
    The bio on his website now says his choreo will be done by David Wilson (or did he do Jonathan's choreo before?).
    Jonathan has been collaborating with David Wilson for several years now (I think going back to 2006?).

I guess Jonathan has finished college, or is he taking a leave of absence?
    He was enrolled at Oakland University near Detroit -- not sure if he has graduated?

Quote Originally Posted by azskatefan View Post
    Not to sidetrack, but who does Berlin still coach now that Czisny and Cassar are out?
    I know Julie Berlin always has had many skaters at the the Junior and lower levels -- most coaches can't make a living just coaching "elite" international students.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by azskatefan View Post
    ...Not to sidetrack, but who does Berlin still coach now that Czisny and Cassar are out?
    Has Czisny announced a new coach yet?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Retry View Post
    Has Czisny announced a new coach yet?
    No, see the recent article link that I posted at:
    http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/show...9&postcount=66

vCash
    So very exciting for Jonathan and I know he will soar! He is my fav for sure. The SE Michigan skating community will miss him tremendously. He is the kindest person and a friend to everyone. Holding out hope he will stay home club with DSC and remain in the Midwest section??? Sectionals are in Ann Arbor

vCash
    The Junior Grand Prix: Where skaters who "come out of nowhere" come from.

Left in the Kiss-n-Cry
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BittyBug View Post
    If Frank can expand Cassar's jump arsenal, he'll be a force.
    Except I don't really think of Frank as one of the "jump doctor" coaches. Even some of Frank's best skaters (like Michelle and Evan) have gone to work with Raphael Artunian when they wanted some help tweaking their jump technique.

That aside, Frank is know for his very disciplined style and building up his skater's stamina, and I think that could benefit Cassar as well.
    I meant to take the high road.... but I missed the exit.

vCash
    I'm so happy to hear this news. Jonathan's beautiful skating needs to be seen by a wider audience and I'm confident that Frank can help him move higher in the standings!

vCash
    I know "El Tango de Roxanne" is overused by now, but I'm excited to see his new SP to it. Quite frankly, even if he does end up saddled with C*rmen at some point he could make it interesting not that I'm suggesting it for him.

vCash
    It would be great if Cassar could add the triple axel, but even if that's not possible, getting more consistent with the jumps he does have could allow respectable national and international results.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast