Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    vCash
    Midori Ito is the most famous. And unbelievable that she was able to do all the triples and triple/triple's with such a leg wrap (not on every jump though). Imagine the quad without leg wrap ?!?!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Firefly123 View Post
    Well, you didn't specify that it had to be on ice.
    Here are some pretty serious jumps on roller skates.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UoXNGhtSqNI

vCash
    Spicy chicken leg wrap with extra hot sauce

vCash
    Polymer Bob,
    Of course no leg wraps on those 3axels....

Oooohhhh Luca d'alisera. Yup, have seen every video on youtube with Luca (over and over and over and....) He is in my favoites. (For ice skaters who don't know him, he is the roller version of Brian Joubert.)

http://<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Lut-Rkyyl8k&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Lut-Rkyyl8k&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Strange. Even on roller where wrap is "allowed" men rarely wrap their jumps. (Scott Cohen was a notable exception.) Back when I competed, I would say about 90% of boys/men used "low wrap" (or correct leg position with ankles crossed), whereas at least 50% of girls/women jumped with "high wrap" (leg around knee or thigh). So left to their own preferences, the girls tended to wrap much more than the guys....I wonder if this has something to do with wider hips or some other female/male difference?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Rex View Post
    What about AMBAH Corwin?
    Oh Amber!

Lovely leg wrap on so many of her jumps -- and she did those fabulously egregious lips and toe axels to boot! Absolutely love her!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by skatefan View Post
    Ziggy, how could you not give an honourable mention to Stacey Kemp's thrown triple loop
    Yeah.

I am sorry Stacey. I love you but on both her solo doubles and the throw triple loop the wrap is just .

vCash
    Midori Ito, because she could fly so high and rotate so quick despite the wrap.

Yukari Nakano, because she wrapped only on some of her jumps - a mysterious wrap.

Same coach, right?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by robinhood View Post
    kyoko ina had a wrap?
    Yep she did.

Ito for my mind had the best leg wrap. It worked because she kept her hip position open so she had no problem landing the jumps.

Stacey Kemp's jumps are just wrong anyway. Even the doubles.

What I get is how coaches don't fix these things up. Because you see some really talented skaters who have a shocking leg wrap and you know it is going to hold their skating back.
    When you are up to your arse in alligators it is difficult to remember you were only meant to be draining the swamp.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Aussie Willy View Post
    What I get is how coaches don't fix these things up. Because you see some really talented skaters who have a shocking leg wrap and you know it is going to hold their skating back.
    I spoke to some coaches and skaters about it and I was told that past a certain age it's too late. All you can do is minimise it slightly.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ziggy View Post
    I spoke to some coaches and skaters about it and I was told that past a certain age it's too late. All you can do is minimise it slightly.
    That probably comes from skaters who can't be bothered to fix it and coaches who don't know how to fix it. I have seen quite a few skaters who have fixed the problem.
    When you are up to your arse in alligators it is difficult to remember you were only meant to be draining the swamp.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Firefly123 View Post
    Well, you didn't specify that it had to be on ice. Here's something a little different: A man with a leg wrap. (World Roller Artistic Champion Scott Cohen). Wow!! Look at all those triples done with a wrap.
    http://<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/1cJSv95RjjA&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/1cJSv95RjjA&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

I never could understand why ice is so down on wrapped jumps. Admittedly, it is less areodynamic, but as these skaters demonstrate, jumps certainly can be done that way....I think it goes back to the idea of ballet. The whole skating = ballet on ice thing and the pointed toes on tours l'air in ballet...

Anyways, this clip is worth watching for just for the costume malfunction. I can't believe he skated almost the whole routine that way and it didn't distract him enough to mess up.

amazing !
    -> the leg wrap is not on all the jumps, the 3T is great
    -> he actually does a small waltz jump before the 3Lp to gain momentum
    -> really fun how he tries to got off his top during all his spins
    -> I had never heard Enya used in a program before
    -> the musical mix is... very wide

As for leg wrap, it was just amazing how Midori would wrap his first 3T, but did not do it on the second 3T of the 3T-3T combo. With the technique used on the second 3T, the quad should not have been far !

In France we had some several years ago a female skaters with such a bad leg wrap... she appeared once at Nationals, nobody understood how she got there with only 2Z (if I remember correctly). On each jump I was afraid she would slash her hip with the back of the blade...
    Also if my memory is correct, Leslie Deriviere had a leg wrap, but could land all triples (JPG 2000... ?)
    Last edited by skatak; 05-07-2010 at 12:28 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by satchelpooch318 View Post
    Oh Amber!

Lovely leg wrap on so many of her jumps -- and she did those fabulously egregious lips and toe axels to boot! Absolutely love her!
    One of the old skating boards I belonged to had a member called ACCL. When someone asked him/her/it what the initials stood for, she replied, "Amber Corwin's Cheated Lutz". But she rocked the tiaras and headbands at least .
    And sometimes her choreo was like interpretive dance.

Vacant
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Aussie Willy View Post
    Yep she did.

Ito for my mind had the best leg wrap. It worked because she kept her hip position open so she had no problem landing the jumps.
    Not only that but she was able to manipulate the wrap at will depending on how much rotation she wanted. If she went up super high she let the leg go where it naturally wanted to be, but if she had a wonky take-off or not quite the air she was expecting, she could instantly adjust the crossed leg position to speed up rotation. Her body awareness in the air was truly amazing.

Midori's wrap was much worse as a child. By the time she was competing internationally in seniors from 1984 onwards they weren't nearly so high....except the loop of course But it never bothered me. It just added to the excitement of her jumps IMO.

vCash
    Alissa Czisny. It was always elegant.

vCash
    skatak,
    Yes, I think ice considers a clear wrap on a jump a negative GOE and you get marked down for it. On roller, a wrap is still considered acceptable (at least in the sense that it is not an automatic deduction for "poor air position.") Ice hates wrap.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by pinky166 View Post
    Alissa Czisny. It was always elegant.
    Alissa does not have a leg warp.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MikiAndoFan#1 View Post
    Alissa does not have a leg warp.

She used to. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4KsUNC4cMb8 . See?

vCash
    *deleted*

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by pinky166 View Post
    No, I don't see. How is that considered a leg wrap?

vCash
    Midori and Yukari N. come to mind, fo sure! Especially Midori!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast