View Poll Results: Who medals in 1996 womens gymnatics AA if all hit- pick 3 options

Voters
43. You may not vote on this poll
  • Podkopayeva

39 90.70%
  • Gogean

1 2.33%
  • Milosovici

1 2.33%
  • Amanar

8 18.60%
  • Huilan

32 74.42%
  • Kochetkova

5 11.63%
  • Galieva

1 2.33%
  • Miller

12 27.91%
  • Dawes

21 48.84%
  • Khorkina

9 20.93%
  • A BelaRussian Boginskaya or Piskun

0 0%
  • an absent person from AA finals (Marinescu, Grosheva, Strug, Phelps, Yuanyuan)

0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

vCash
    I don't know if LiliaPod was clearly the best. When it came to Beam, UB, and VT, I thought Mo was clearly better. Don't get me wrong, though, I am extremely happy she was the 1996 Olympic AA champ because LiliaPod is probably the best Olympic AAer we had until Nastia Liukin graced the top of the podium.
    "Corporation, n. An ingenious device for obtaining individual profit without individual responsibility." - Ambrose Bierce

vCash
    If everyone had hit cold in the 96 AA I would have given it to Mo over Lilia, but I dont know what the judges would have done. As it was in the AA Mo had zero shot of overtaking Lilia on floor even if she had hit. She was ahead of Lilia going into the last event and needed a 9.856 to win but that score was clearly too high for her on floor. She lost her shot with that huge hop on her beam dismount. She was capable of a 9.9+ on beam and only got a 9.8 with that dismount, and since Lilia is so much better than her on floor (scoring wise regardless of opinions) that is what she needed to control her own destiny going into the last event.

vCash
    Wow, my answers matched the other popular choices - IMO, Huilan, Dawes and Lilia were THEE outstanding TALENTS of these Games. But of the three, only Pod had the compettive nerve to go with it, unfortunately.

Some place competitive and athletic, but ultimately more like an audition than anything else.
    vCash
    Podkopayeva, Miller, and Dawes.

. . . I think that those that voted for Khorkina are cute, but she was frumpy back then and could not even beat Bogi at Euros. In addition to Bogi, I think that Milosovici, Amanar, and Gogean had a better chance than Khorkina since they all actually medaled in the AA.

I admit, Miller and Dawes are sentimental favorites, but they were both legitimately in the hunt.

ETA: I change my vote to Podkopayeva, Miller, and (one of the Romanians that actually medaled, most likely Milo since she was the Euros Bronze Medalist).
    Last edited by bardtoob; 05-10-2010 at 09:12 AM.

vCash
    I think Khorkina is way overrated in this poll. If everyone had hit I personally think she would have finished 11th behind in some order Podkopayeva, Huilan, her teammates Kochetkova and Galieva, all 3 Americans including Moceanu, and probably the 3 Romanians. If I could redo the poll I would actually replace Khorkina with Moceanu and jump mix Khorkina with the 2 Belarussians. I knew I was forgetting someone when I started this poll. I am not a fan of Moceanu's gymnastics at all but she did score a 9.812 on bars, 9.850 on beam, and 9.837 on floor in team optionals. She was way overrated and overmarked when she was a young pixie like gymnast with flawed form and style, and based on that was a contender. I actually think she might have had a better shot than Miller though maybe not Dawes.

Khorkina did have a fall on beam in the AA at Europeans though so one cant really tell much from that. In the AA in Atlanta though she hit her first 3 routines with total sticks and was still sitting way down in 7th or 8th, even after Dawes, Miller, Galieva, Moceanu, and Boginskaya had already blown 1 or more of their routines and were right out of it. Granted she was ending on bars but I dont think even that was going to produce a miracle for her at that moment. Her tumbling and vaulting in Atlanta was small with no power which is why her floor and vault was getting such low scores for top gymnast standards. It is amazing how much more powerful she looked in 94 and 95 even then in 96, I suspect she had an injury of some kind.

vCash
    This is something funny from the 96 European Gymnastics Championships. Amanar actually tieing Khorkina for the gold (along with Podkopayeva) on the uneven bars. I wonder what the judges were smoking there, LOL!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JZWMOrLv5zk

Amanar was strangely scored always in 95-97 I found. Often undermarked in the all around, yet overmarked in individual team scoring and event final scoring. It is amazing her team optionals score from Atlanta was over 3 tenths than her all around total when her routines were almost the same.

Top Secret FSU Witness Protection Location
    vCash
    I don't mean to be rude but I think the people who voted for Khorkina probably weren't following the sport in 1996 and just assume she was a huge threat. The truth was she was never going to medal unless there was a debacle of Sydney proportions. It just speaks to her reputation and legacy, though!
    -Brian
    "Michelle would never be caught with sausage grease staining her Vera Wang." - rfisher

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BigB08822 View Post
    I don't mean to be rude but I think the people who voted for Khorkina probably weren't following the sport in 1996 and just assume she was a huge threat. The truth was she was never going to medal unless there was a debacle of Sydney proportions. It just speaks to her reputation and legacy, though!
    Grosheva would have even bumped her out of the AA as one of the top 3 Russians had she not had her 2 major mistakes (beam optionals nearly falling on mount, bars compulsories fall). The scores prove this and Khorkina hit every routine in the team competition too. Amongst the Russians Galieva and Kochetkova were WAY bigger threats for an AA medal than Khorkina in 96. They were better than Khorkina on every event except bars.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by judgejudy27 View Post
    Khorkina did have a fall on beam in the AA at Europeans though so one cant really tell much from that... It is amazing how much more powerful she looked in 94 and 95 even then in 96, I suspect she had an injury of some kind.
    I think Khorkina had a back injury.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by judgejudy27 View Post
    Shannon actually did hit her best bars set in the AA final with a stuck landing and got a 9.750. So I dont even have to speculate there. She isnt capable of doing the double layout dismount on bars that well as far as form and amplitude, she never has, especialy not in later years with her bigger body. She did a 9.787 in team finals on bars but all the scores were higher that day. To witness just look at Simona Amanar's scores from team optionals in Atlanta:
    I don't think Miller's bars scores would have (or should have) gone higher either. That being said, there is some speculation that Jackie Fie (head of the FIG technical committe at the time, and from the US), had her scores held back on bars in the team rounds to help get Chow and Dawes into bars finals since they had routines that were much more likely to contend for medals.
    Last edited by asdf334; 05-10-2010 at 08:56 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BigB08822 View Post
    ITA. She didn't become an AA threat until the 00 Games. In 96 her vault and floor was still weak.

I disagree that Dawes would've medaled. She had too many form problems to be a threat if everyone hit. The home team advantage score bump that Dawes sometimes benefited from would've gone to the more established Miller.

The qualifying results are interesting. Podkopayeva, Miller, Kotchetkova. I would've been OK with that podium.
    http://www.gymnasticsresults.com/oly...96wagqual.html

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by vesperholly View Post
    ITA. She didn't become an AA threat until the 00 Games. In 96 her vault and floor was still weak.

I disagree that Dawes would've medaled. She had too many form problems to be a threat if everyone hit. The home team advantage score bump that Dawes sometimes benefited from would've gone to the more established Miller.

The qualifying results are interesting. Podkopayeva, Miller, Kotchetkova. I would've been OK with that podium.
    http://www.gymnasticsresults.com/oly...96wagqual.html
    The qualifying results are indeed interesting. If you only look at Optionals, which makes the most sense because scores did not carry over, the results of those ended up like this:

1. Amanar (39.387)
    2. Dawes (39.187)
    3. Milo (39.111)
    4. Gogean (39.100)
    5. Strug (39.073)

Goes to show how there was some nice over scoring for Team Finals in that last group.

Pod and Miller were the only two to score 39 or higher in compulsories.
    -Brian
    "Michelle would never be caught with sausage grease staining her Vera Wang." - rfisher

vCash
    The judging of Amanar was perplexing often in 95 and 96 as often it seemed the judges were just in love with her and other times they were very cool. She was both under and overscored at times. She did perform better in team optionals than the AA but the huge spread in scores was something else. The excitement over her scores in team optionals is probably what caused the switch with Marinescu, Belu probably thought based on those scores if she hit she would be unbeatable in the AA but turned out to be far from the case.

vCash
    Was Marinescu too young to be in Atlanta? Hasn't that been proven?
    -Brian

vCash
    Yeah the funniest thing is Marinescu is actually younger than Vanessa Atler by a month. However since her age was falsified by a year and the age limit changed around then Marinescu got to compete in the 95 Worlds, 96 Worlds, 96 Olympics, and 97 Worlds, while Atler just missed the cut off date to compete in any of them. Yet some people actually feel sympathy for Marinescu for getting pulled from the AA in favor of Amanar twice when she shouldnt have been at any of those events.

If people were consistent in how they handled that sort of thing they would probably investigate further and maybe take away Romanias team gold in 95, Olympic team bronze in 96, and team gold in 97, in addition to the beam silver of Marinescu at the 96 event Worlds.

vCash
    I meant to vote for Dawes instead of Khorkina. Just noticed that mistake...that'll teach me not to vote on the run next time.

Dawes' FX is one of my favorite of those Games. At least she was able to redeem herself somewhat and get bronze in the EFs.

vCash
    Right and she did perform well in the UB finals.
    "Corporation, n. An ingenious device for obtaining individual profit without individual responsibility." - Ambrose Bierce

In the middle of a hair war with Alena Leonova.
    vCash
    HAH. Before seeing this poll I was totally thinking about how much I hated Lilia's floor performances in the '94-'95 era. (I didn't love '96, but it wasn't as heinous. But no, I did not think I was at the Boshoi.)

There are certain associations that give me a headache thinking of them. One thing is neon orange crackers with brown peanut butter sandwiched in between. Every time I saw them in elementary school, I got this feeling of a dry, parched, barfy headache. I get the same feeling when I think of that neon pink/yellow/blue UKR leotard from '94 and Lilia doing Hava Nagilia or that disco Indian/Arabic music. I screamed at the TV as she would wait 5 seconds facing her final corner, then did little hops and arm waves, then waited 5 seconds more. Ooooh, that Lilia.

That said, I still cringe every time I watch Mo's funky chicken to the really stereotypical cheesy "Chinese" sound in the music. Ugggh.

I know there are so many examples of good choreo from the late '80s on FX, but I want to point to Vanda Hadarean from 1992: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yjo5RJXUPvs

So much variety of movement and fluidity between passes. Of course there are good later examples of real "dance pieces" (Yang Yun from 2000), but yeah. Kinda like how '80s bars is SO much more complex and interesting than 1992-2000 bars.

OK, [/side-topic-rant], sorry.

vCash
    The more I think about floor, the more I struggle to find routines that I really enjoyed, rather than just tolerated. Dance has devolved to posing, especially with the Americans. I hated all the US FX that year.

This set from Nikolett Krausz (HUN) in the 96 team finals is great, very enjoyable:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2lA7H...rom=PL&index=2

vCash
    Podkopayeva, Huilan and Dawes

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast