Just me
    vCash

Flooding in Nashville, TN

...what is quite possibly the costliest non-hurricane disaster in American history.
    http://www.section303.com/we-are-nashville-4366

My daughter lives in Nashville and the images of this beautiful city under water and the distruction are gut-wrenching. The Red Cross has set up a system of helping (in the videos). Please do so if you can.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/21134540...27001#36927001

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/21134540...27001#36951429
    If this is to end in fire
    Then we will all burn together

vCash
    Great link.

I can't imagine what it must have been like to be stuck in the traffic and not be able to go anywhere or do anything about it.

Parts of Nashville that could never even conceivably be underwater were underwater.
    These areas won't have flood insurance which will really hurt people who need to start over. I have a few friends in Nashville that are really suffering because of this flood. It's not a good day to come home and find your dog swimming through your living room trying to stay above the water.
    "Half the harm that is done in this world is due to people who want to feel important. They don't mean to do harm -- but the harm does not interest them. Or they do not see it, or they justify it because they are absorbed in the endless struggle to think well of themselves." – T.S. Eliot

vCash
    I lived there for 20 years... most of my friends are OK, but a few are in BIG trouble. One woman had 7 feet in her living room. Because of the mold etc you get quickly in the south her entire home is a loss. No insurance.

Just a note, having "been there and done that" when we had flooding in Atlanta. Even if you think you don't need it buy Flood Insurance. For me it's $100 a year. (And I figure it means I will never flood again now that I have it....small cost to pay) I live NO where near any water source at all. So "conceivably" should only mean "there's water falling faster then the ground can take it" which could happen to most of us.

vCash
    We've also been blessed/cursed with hot, sunny weather since the rain stopped on Sunday night, which is going to speed up mold growth.
    The devastation here is really sad to see. I live in a part of town that sustained little damage but downtown and some of the other parts of the county are still underwater.

vCash
    I am going to be visiting Nashville next week (a trip that was planned weeks before any of the flooding happened). I'm anticipating that a lot of the places I wanted to go to are not going to be open or accessible, which is fine by me, as I've visited before and will visit again. And I also imagine that it's hard to know exactly what sort of state the city will be in a week from now.

That said, are there places that need volunteers? Or a place where I can donate supplies? Do you think I could contact the Red Cross to sign up to help for a day? I'm there largely for a vacation but I feel like it would be the right thing to do to help out...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sk8Kate View Post
    I am going to be visiting Nashville next week (a trip that was planned weeks before any of the flooding happened). I'm anticipating that a lot of the places I wanted to go to are not going to be open or accessible, which is fine by me, as I've visited before and will visit again. And I also imagine that it's hard to know exactly what sort of state the city will be in a week from now.

That said, are there places that need volunteers? Or a place where I can donate supplies? Do you think I could contact the Red Cross to sign up to help for a day? I'm there largely for a vacation but I feel like it would be the right thing to do to help out...
    The buzz I hear is that Hands On Nashville (www.hon.org) is the best volunteer group to contact if you want to help out.

vCash
    I stayed in the Opryland resort for a business trip a few years ago. I can't believe such a large complex is underwater

http://www.tennessean.com/article/20...--tourism-hurt

vCash
    There are a lot of businesses trying to reschedule seminars because of the flooding. We are already booked up here and can't take anymore.
    "Half the harm that is done in this world is due to people who want to feel important. They don't mean to do harm -- but the harm does not interest them. Or they do not see it, or they justify it because they are absorbed in the endless struggle to think well of themselves." – T.S. Eliot

vCash
    As a side, isn't Nashville the winning bidder of the 2011 Eastern Great Lakes Regionals? How is the ice rink? Will this affect USFS regionals comp?
    "awwww....shades of Janet Lynn" - Dick Button on anyone who makes more than one mistake in their program.

vCash
    Well I was going to say "the rink probably wasn't effected" but then I remembered seeing a photo of the parking lot of the mall very close to the Franklin rink......so who knows if they had damage.

I thought this was at the rink in Franklin, TN (south of the city) but thier webpage has been turned off??? Not a clue what's going on there now. There are some Nashville skaters on here hopefullly they know.