View Poll Results: Who Did You Enjoy Tonight? (Multiple Votes Allowed)

Voters
36. You may not vote on this poll
  • Aaron Kelly

2 5.56%
  • Casey James

1 2.78%
  • Crystal Bowersox

13 36.11%
  • Lee DeWyze

22 61.11%
  • Michael Lynche

8 22.22%
  • It’s Been A Very Good Year (I Liked Everybody Tonight)

0 0%
  • Didn’t Really Like Anybody Tonight (They Should Have Done It My Way!)

6 16.67%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    snarking for AZE
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PeterG View Post
    Anybody have suggestions as to what AI should do instead?
    make sure their insurance is paid up and light a match
    I feel like I'm in a dream. But it can't be a dream because there are no boy dancers!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by my little pony View Post
    make sure their insurance is paid up and light a match

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Fridge_Break View Post
    Sorry, but Lee and Crystal are the only two people with any kind of chance of a musical career from this season.
    Idol contestants seem to be able to make careers for themselves in country, so I can see Aaron and Casey being able to at least make a living off of music. I definitely think people would be happy to see Casey doing some southern rock/blues.

Also, if Ace can get on Broadway, so can Siobhan in a few years.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Allskate View Post
    Idol contestants seem to be able to make careers for themselves in country, so I can see Aaron and Casey being able to at least make a living off of music. I definitely think people would be happy to see Casey doing some southern rock/blues.

Also, if Ace can get on Broadway, so can Siobhan in a few years.
    On that note, did everyone see that Jordin Sparks is soon to make her Broadway debut? http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20100505/...nm/us_sparks_1

vCash
    There seem to be a lot of complaints about the themes chosen each week. Anybody have suggestions as to what AI should do instead? (Hopefully you've got more than one single episode covered!)

Looking forward to hearing your suggestions.
    Honestly, they need to to give them enough options so that each contestant realistically can choose a song that would work for them. That not only should result in better performances, but more variety. It also should give the audience an even stronger sense of who these contestants are. I like Harry Connick, Jr., but I just have no desire to hear most of these contestants sing Sinatra songs. The producers might not be willing to pay for more of the newer songs, though.

Also, I would like the producers to limit the number of calls per phone because I think that skews things a lot. That ain't gonna happen, though.

vCash
    There seem to be a lot of complaints about the themes chosen each week. Anybody have suggestions as to what AI should do instead? (Hopefully you've got more than one single episode covered!)

Looking forward to hearing your suggestions.
    Michael Slezak has a list up somewhere on the EW site. I don't like all of them, but here were two that stood out to me:

Hair Metal week. Everyone could find a song they could re-arrange to suit them.

Instead of songs from the year of your birth (did they do that this year?), do songs from the year you turned 16. More current (super current for High School Student Aaron Kelly) and shows us what music they really like.

And the more broad themes work as well: Rock, Disco, 80s, 90s, heck, the 2000s. Beyond Elvis, the Beatles and the Stones (and maybe Queen) limiting the choice to one artist is not going well....

Argle-Bargle-ist
    vCash
    According to wikipedia, Sinatra recorded 959 songs in his lifetime. Y'all are right, they need to give these kids more options!!

Honestly, they need to to give them enough options so that each contestant realistically can choose a song that would work for them. That not only should result in better performances, but more variety. It also should give the audience an even stronger sense of who these contestants are. I like Harry Connick, Jr., but I just have no desire to hear most of these contestants sing Sinatra songs. The producers might not be willing to pay for more of the newer songs, though.

Also, I would like the producers to limit the number of calls per phone because I think that skews things a lot. That ain't gonna happen, though.
    I missed your suggestions for themes AI should be doing.

Quote Originally Posted by PrincessLeppard View Post
    Come on!!! I'm being serious!!

(I like your "broader themes" idea, though.)

vCash
    I thought Crystal was great and I agreed with her comments to the judges.

I liked Lee, but for some reason I just can't connect with him.

Big Mike was good, smooth. I want to think he was singing to his wife.

Aaron did a great job for a young kid.

Casey, he's hot, but going home after that mushy performance.

Harry Connick Jr was AWESOME! I love him! He's brilliant! And he seems like such a sweetheart. I DVR'd the show for my daughter, but I might just watch Harry again, and again

Top Secret FSU Witness Protection Location
    vCash
    Crystal can talk back all she wants because she actually has something to say and knows how to articulate it. She also does not come across as being a betch. The judges get to say whatever they want and she has the right to respond. I don't think it is fair to let the judges tell the audience something that may be completely wrong. Crystal is standing up for herself and making sure the audience knows her intentions and why she made the choices she made. If they don't like it, then sure, don't vote for her. This isn't a contest to see who can stand there and take it from the judges without wincing. I respect Crystal for what she says to the judges and for how she goes about saying it.
    -Brian
    "Michelle would never be caught with sausage grease staining her Vera Wang." - rfisher

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BigB08822 View Post
    Crystal can talk back all she wants because she actually has something to say and knows how to articulate it. She also does not come across as being a betch. The judges get to say whatever they want and she has the right to respond. I don't think it is fair to let the judges tell the audience something that may be completely wrong. Crystal is standing up for herself and making sure the audience knows her intentions and why she made the choices she made. If they don't like it, then sure, don't vote for her. This isn't a contest to see who can stand there and take it from the judges without wincing. I respect Crystal for what she says to the judges and for how she goes about saying it.

vCash
    I have an important question to ask.

Last year, I was impressed by Adam and Allison. They were singing like mad, with charisma, intelligent songs etc.

But this year it's more boring with each week passing. The songs are forgettable to say the least, and none but Siobhan or Deedee have charisma, those two being atypic in the casting and voted out.

Was last year a fluke ? Is every year like this year with ok performers with zero charsima ?
    poths Void: MarieM carries a rusty old blade in her handbag!

vCash
    A
    Come on!!! I'm being serious!!

(I like your "broader themes" idea, though.)
    I was being serious. If I have to suffer through R & B week, you can survive Hair Metal week.

Quote Originally Posted by MarieM View Post
    I have an important question to ask.

Last year, I was impressed by Adam and Allison. They were singing like mad, with charisma, intelligent songs etc.

But this year it's more boring with each week passing. The songs are forgettable to say the least, and none but Siobhan or Deedee have charisma, those two being atypic in the casting and voted out.

Was last year a fluke ? Is every year like this year with ok performers with zero charsima ?
    I only started watching in David Cook's season, but along with Cookie, Carly Smithson, Jason Castro and Michael Johns all had tons of charisma as well.

I don't understand the casting choices this year.

vCash
    I really don't care about Crystal talking back. At least it made the show a little more interesting. Though she really didn't talk back all that much. And I thought it was stupid for them to be criticizing her arrangement and talking about how this style of music didn't suit her. I did wonder, though, if there was something wrong with the mic. At times during her performance and then while she was talking, the sound seemed to lose some power.

Casey is reminding me a little of Matt Giraud in that I think he's letting the nerves really affect his vocals. Multiple people have said that he was better in rehearsal than live, and we used to hear the same thing about Matt. You've got to bring it when the pressure is on if you want to get more votes.

According to wikipedia, Sinatra recorded 959 songs in his lifetime. Y'all are right, they need to give these kids more options!!
    Sorry, but even if they had all of those songs to choose from, it's still not enough options. Why the hell should I care how someone like Casey or Aaron sings a Sinatra song. If these contestants are really supposed to be showing us what kind of artists they'd be, open it up.

I missed your suggestions for themes AI should be doing.
    Relatively modern music. That's as specific as I want the them to be. Why on earth do we need something so narrow as a Shania theme or a Sinatra theme, especially if you're going to have someone else doing the arrangements. Why would we even need something broader like a country theme?

Quote Originally Posted by PrincessLeppard View Post
    At least it would be a broader theme than Sinatra songs arranged by HCJ. Some of the contestants might have preferred your theme.

Argle-Bargle-ist
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by shells View Post
    I'm tired of all this talking back. It never helps anyone either, you'd think they'd know that by now.
    Quote Originally Posted by Catherine M View Post
    Never a good idea to talk back to the judges. The casual voters hate that kind of stuff. might cause Crystal to take a walk to the seal in the bottom two tomorrow night.
    I always thought "talking back" was a rude youngster being lippy and insolent. So I kept waiting for the part where Crystal verbally bitch-slapped one of the judges. They must have edited the west coast version, because all I heard was simple conversation.

Why on earth do we need something so narrow as a Shania theme or a Sinatra theme...
    Because the goal of this show is to find an all-around AMAZING singer/entertainer like Kelly Clarkson or Carrie Underwood who showed, week after week, that regardless of the theme...they could sing ANYTHING.

Specific themes weed out those who are limited in what they are able to do. Unfortunately for Casey last night, we got to see just that.

vCash
    Because the goal of this show is to find an all-around AMAZING singer/entertainer like Kelly Clarkson or Carrie Underwood who showed, week after week, that regardless of the theme...they could sing ANYTHING.
    Yet 19E turns around and tries to turn everyone into a pop/country crossover singer in the hope that they'll find a golden goose. Not everyone's suited for that either.
    AceOn6, the golf loving skating fan

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by rfisher View Post
    Who knows. Singing isn't always a criteria for this show.
    If singing was a real criteria, Lee would have been gone weeks away. I think I only remember one week where he stayed on key for the entire song. I do not get the judges' slobbering over him.

Oh, and the "nervous paint salesman" shtick is getting old, considering that he had a record deal in the past and released two albums.
    Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe.

vCash

Specific themes weed out those who are limited in what they are able to do. Unfortunately for Casey last night, we got to see just that.
    Well, this is news to me. I thought the goal of the show was to make money. Why risk turning off an audience that has no interest in Frank Sinatra? You're going to pull in more viewers if you have more variety. The ratings were down again significantly last night.

Even in terms of choosing a winner, half the voting isn't even based on the singing, and I certainly don't have the impression that they are really looking to sign someone who will sing anything. They are looking for a recording artist. The judges repeatedly criticize contestants who are too varied in their songs choices and will say "that's not who you are" or "you need to show us who you are and what kind of album you'd make." How many songs has Carrie recorded that are like Frank Sinatra's songs? How many are R&B?

Lots of people aren't going to perform their best when they're singing songs and style they're not comfortable with. (Casey's discussion of this week is actually pretty funny: http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/amer...tra-night.html ) So, why make them do that? I so don't care if Casey is comfortable and good singing Frank Sinatra. I'm much more likely to buy one of his albums than one of Carrie's simply because I like his style and song choices better. I usually find Carrie boring and I'm not into her genre of country pop. I've also been wondering why I like Lee's pre-Idol albums better than what he usually does on the show. Maybe it's because he's got crap stage presence or because the nerves are getting to him, but I also have to wonder if it's because he's not comfortable with the songs he's singing.

vCash
    I believe that Crystal is the only one of this group with real career potential.
    However, the producers will probably try to push her into the same genre as most of the other Idol "discoveries"; so, that we may never know if she really can sing other material. Three minutes on the show isn't long enough to tell!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by skatesindreams View Post
    I believe that Crystal is the only one of this group with real career potential.
    However, the producers will probably try to push her into the same genre as most of the other Idol "discoveries"; so, that we may never know if she really can sing other material. Three minutes on the show isn't long enough to tell!
    I agree. I also don't get that the judges make comments that the contestants are being/not being true to themselves with song styling. How does someone like Crystal sing Sinatra and not compromise her style? As great as Sinatra was, he did not do a wide range of song styles that would lend themselves to a diverse group of singers. I think that is why it is better when they do an era or a more open genre. When they do individual singers, it's hard for some of the contestants to find anything remotely like them to sing. I don't think the goal is to produce a "does it all" singer, but one that will be successful in their genre.

According to DialIdol Crystal is

Spoiler

snarking for AZE
    vCash
    Crystal doesnt look like she cares much. That might not be how she feels but I can seel how people arent compelled to vote for her.
    I feel like I'm in a dream. But it can't be a dream because there are no boy dancers!

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast