vCash

Skates for 5-year-old boy

Our 5-year-old boy just finished the Learn to Skate classes in Boise, ID using his hockey skates and now needs a pair of figure skates when taking the Beginning Jumps and Spins class. Unfortunately we can't actually buy boys figure skates locally that I've been able to find.

Other parents have said that we should buy skates rather than using the rentals because the rentals will fit differently each time and won't be as sharp.

We're also looking to buy cheaply. We've committed to 2 Jumps and Spins sessions (14 weeks) and then we'll discuss with him if he wants to keep doing it (figure if he doesn't continue, no kid's hockey has ever been hurt by learning how to skate correctly).

I just don't like the idea of buy skates online without having a way for him to try a comparable pair locally. Does anyone have any suggestions on buying skates, are there any where the boys and girls are exactly the same except for the color where we might have him try on the girls and then order the boys online?

vCash
    I've seen boys try on skates in white and have the pro shops order them for them in black. I have no idea what model he needs, but if you find a reputable skating shop they should be able to order black skates for you.

Watch me move
    vCash
    You could also buy girls' skates that fit and have a shoe shop dye them black. (You can do it yourself too but it's pretty messy). Or he could wear black boot covers over them.

vCash
    For a 5-year old boy I'd just put him in white skates. You could use boot covers if you really wanted to, but at that age he's not going to know that boys are "supposed" to wear black skates, unless your rink has a lot of male skaters (ours only has a few- lots of little boys in rentals though).

Look and see if there are any used skates for sale in our area. It's very common here for skaters to pass down their skates - and we have a girl who skates in black skates and a couple boys in white ones because they bought them used. (Older kids do tend to go the boot cover route, but I can think of one boy who skates in shiny white skates at our rink.)

For the skates- just make sure that there is a visible toe pick, more than what the rental skates have.

"Cheap" doesn't usually come with the description for skates when starting jumps. I usually recommend Jackson Freeskate for kids starting Jump/Spin classes- but I think that would be too stiff of a boot for a 5-year old. Maybe the Jackson Classique. (The Artiste and Mystique don't look like they have enough of a toe pick)

If you have a pro-shop talk to them, but otherwise I'd ask the coach in charge of the class what s/he recommends.

Here's a recommendation chart I found: http://lib.store.yahoo.net/lib/skate...ateselect.html

vCash
    I agree with the Jackson boot. It is a little wider which is great for a boy. You can buy black skate tape from Rainbow or just use electrical tape if white is an issue.
    "awwww....shades of Janet Lynn" - Dick Button on anyone who makes more than one mistake in their program.

vCash
    By cheap I meant closer to the $75 range as opposed to the $500 range that I hear from other parents when describing their kids skates who have older girls.

White's an issue (5-year-olds know the difference between boy's colors and girl's colors), but I can probably get him to try them on to get a pair of boy's skates ordered.

The toughest thing we have is when he contemplates whether he wants to figure skate is that he sometimes says that figure skating is a girl's sport which isn't helped by having only 2 other boys (that we know of) who figure skate in Boise and being in a class with all girls. At least the skating instructors are very supportive.

vCash
    I would not buy brand new at this age...they grow faster than you can blink and slightly worn skates are not so stiff. Look on Ebay for used. Good luck!
    "awwww....shades of Janet Lynn" - Dick Button on anyone who makes more than one mistake in their program.