Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MOIJTO View Post
    Its a starling and if you see lots of them on your lawn you have grubs!
    Actually I have my yard treated for grubs both fall & spring. Recently a big hole was dug in the front yard to find a leak in the sprinkler & they didn't find even one grub. I did find one in the garden when I was planting some new flowers but that was right before we spread the grub killer this spring. Since then I haven't found any & I have done a lot of planting.

However, if I had grubs I would be glad to have the starlings eat them. But I've never had more than 4 or 5 at a time & never on the lawn...they like my suet feeder.

Skating supporter
    Born in Nova Scotia but living in Ottawa, Ontario (Canada's Capital)
    vCash
    Unfortunately the use of certain lawn products are detrimental to birds as they get into the "food chain" - I've gone completely organic with lawn care to avoid causing any problems.

I have several feeders and have birds nesting in the area, including robins, cardinals, chickadees, and the noisy crows.

Not being able to see into the local nests, I'm spending a lot of time at the moment watching various ustream feeds that have webcams set up at nests, including the famous Molly the barn owl, several types of hummingbirds, cardinals, etc.

Being a life-long bird watcher, this technology is wonderful for this type of voyeurism!!
    Can't skate but love to watch

Corgi Wrangler
    vCash
    Crows = BIG. Though not compared to ravens (which are big and mean-looking and do eat carrion, but unless you live pretty far north it's not a raven.)

Starlings--usually where there's one there's more, but I get a few solitaries. I can't think of another short-tailed blackbird with a yellow bill. I also get cowbirds, but they're on the small side and have dark bills.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12