Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    vCash

vCash
    Chely hasn't been a star since 2003 or so. I haven't even heard much about her in the past 5 years. I liked her music though, it was a pity her popularity waned the way it did.
    Last edited by Cloudy_Gumdrops; 05-03-2010 at 12:28 AM.

vCash
    And here I thought Kenny Chesney had found another way to promote his new DVD

vCash
    So much for the buzz that it was a major Hollywood action star... color me unphased.

vCash
    She had one big hit and that's it. Yes I used to listen to her when it was on the radio but she hasn't been that popular. I am a bit surprised that she is lesbian.. She looks very feminine.. I always thought Wynonna was lesbian.

The wiener takes it all
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by overedge View Post
    me too.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by overedge View Post
    I thought the same thing when I saw this thread. I was like, "Kenny Chesney? If so, finally"

vCash
    Is Kenny Chesney really gay?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ks777 View Post
    She had one big hit and that's it. Yes I used to listen to her when it was on the radio but she hasn't been that popular. I am a bit surprised that she is lesbian.. She looks very feminine.. I always thought Wynonna was lesbian.
    Lesbians can't be feminine?

Argle-Bargle-ist
    vCash
    I have all of Chely Wright's CD's. She's made some of the best music in the last 10 to 15 years (her last release was 2005's "The Metropolitan Hotel"). My top five Chely songs:

Chely Wright - I Already Do

Chely Wright - Shut Up And Drive

Chely Wright - Jezebel

Chely Wright - Single White Female

Chely Wright - It Was

I always thought Wynonna was lesbian.
    Wynonna's been married twice (to a man both times ) and has a son and a daughter.

Top Secret FSU Witness Protection Location
    vCash
    I knew it would be a nobody who needed the attention! Disappointed but I knew better...
    -Brian
    "Michelle would never be caught with sausage grease staining her Vera Wang." - rfisher

Banned Member
    vCash
    Desperate actions for a washed up career? What some people will sell their souls for.
    Without fear you cannot find courage

vCash
    Interesting the names that were being discussed In the rumour mill before the news was confirmed- namely, Shelby Lynne and Teri Clark

vCash
    I am a bit surprised that she is lesbian.. She looks very feminine..

I don't think one has anything at all to do with the other.

I always thought Wynonna was lesbian.

Wynonna looks as feminine as can be. If that's what you're implying.

Never heard of this singer. I too thought it was to be someone a little more famous from all the hype.

vCash

OmnipresentAdmeanistrator
    vCash
    Newsweek has a good interview with her. http://www.newsweek.com/id/237409

The five reasons she gave for coming out are quite compelling, and they show what gay people have to struggle with on a daily basis. Some straight people have no idea, as some of the comments in this thread clearly show.

1. "I had a gun in my mouth. That's the most compelling reason. I was going to kill myself. In early 2006, during my breakdown, during a time I couldn't connect the dots, I took inventory of my life. I had been and always was a lesbian; I always knew it. I had always been hostage by my secret. [...]

5. "The day I decided to come out, I slept for the first time like a baby. I feel incredible. I'm so glad I titled my album Lifted Off the Ground. I really do feel lifted off the ground. I have no secret now. I feel like I'm floating. I'm so proud to be standing where I am today. This 24 hours of freedom—if everybody could feel it, I would bottle it up and FedEx it anyone on the planet."
    I'm really happy for her, I hope more people will decide to live openly and it not longer will be considered newsworthy. It'll be normal.

Quote Originally Posted by MOIJTO View Post
    Desperate actions for a washed up career? What some people will sell their souls for.
    You're as clueless as you've ever been.

vCash
    Good for her for feeling comfortable enough to come out, but had she ever heard of K.D. Lang? Chely is not the groundbreaker.

OmnipresentAdmeanistrator
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by FunnyBut View Post
    Good for her for feeling comfortable enough to come out, but had she ever heard of K.D. Lang?
    Is K.D. Lang considered a country singer?

Anyway, I don't think Chely wanted to be considered "groundbreaker" of any kind. Even if she wasn't technically first, it doesn't change the fact that country music it's still a very unwelcoming place for openly gay singers.

But the times are changing. Even Christian music singers are coming out (Jennifer Knapp)

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by WindSpirit View Post
    Is K.D. Lang considered a country singer?
    I don't think she is, nor was she when she came out. I also believe her career's always been a bit more unconventional than most. She wasn't tied in with such a conservative group, but I could be wrong. Just going on memory.

Good for Chely, whether she's a trailblazer or not. That takes serious courage.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Andora View Post
    I don't think she is, nor was she when she came out. I also believe her career's always been a bit more unconventional than most. She wasn't tied in with such a conservative group, but I could be wrong. Just going on memory.
    She was more of a punk singer with a country gimmick, if that makes sense.
    Because she was running around in cut-off cowboy boots and thrift-store cowgirl outfits, kind of making fun of the whole country girl singer idea, the country establishment wanted *nothing* to do with her (and this was long before she was officially out). Her audiences were mostly hipsters who didn't mind listening to country songs - especially kind of punked up ones - but who would never go to a real country show or buy a real country album.
    If she didn't have such an amazing voice and hadn't done some incredible versions of country standards - and hadn't evolved past the punk-cowgirl thing - the country establishment would still be staying far away from her IMHO.....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast