Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
Results 61 to 76 of 76
  1. #61

    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Milwaukee, WI USA
    Age
    43
    Posts
    8,823
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    2961
    Quote Originally Posted by Rex View Post
    It's official - Halle's an idiot! She want to perpetrate a rule created by white supremacists and slaveowners! Have at it Halle! She sounds desperate.

    Honestly, I don't think I've ever seen Wes with a black woman. His choice I guess, but he's insane anyway.
    Rex wait until we actually read Ebony in a few weeks. I know of other bi racial celebrities who consider themselves black, by ethnicity and race. Lenny Kravitz for one.
    "“My bronze feels like gold,” said the bronze medalist Carolina Kostner

  2. #62
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    U.S.A.
    Posts
    8,143
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by topaz View Post
    Rex wait until we actually read Ebony in a few weeks. I know of other bi racial celebrities who consider themselves black, by ethnicity and race. Lenny Kravitz for one.
    That's different from saying that you're black if you have even one drop of African blood in you, a policy that was adopted for racist reasons. It's also different from denying your non-African heritage. It's true that many people will label a person based on looks, but many people who "look" like they fall into one category embrace their entire family background and ancestry. A friend of mine looks very Asian (Japanese), but she's half Argentinian (though nobody would guess from the way she looks) and very much embraces both sides of her family and their race, cultures, and languages. I think her mother would be unhappy if she identified herself purely as Asian-American or Japanese-American even though everyone who doesn't know her perceives her that way. It would have absolutely nothing to do with racism against Asians and everything to do with wanting to be acknowledged as part of who her daughter is.

  3. #63

    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Top Secret FSU Witness Protection Location
    Age
    31
    Posts
    20,719
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    34207
    Wow, I think Halle is really gone over the edge. I always thought she was a very sane and level headed celebrity but I really am second guessing that with her behavior in this whole ordeal. If she would shut her mouth she would look like the loving mother who wants custody of her child, instead she looks like a jealous and angry b*tch.
    -Brian
    "Michelle would never be caught with sausage grease staining her Vera Wang." - rfisher

  4. #64
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    9,802
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by my little pony View Post
    I wonder who Wesley is dating now
    There's a lot of options in prison... but you most likely have to like tattoos though .

  5. #65

    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Walking to Work
    Posts
    25,842
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    32560
    Quote Originally Posted by El Rey View Post
    she must have taken her role in the move Queen too seriously.
    Maybe.

    Quote Originally Posted by topaz View Post
    Rex wait until we actually read Ebony in a few weeks. I know of other bi racial celebrities who consider themselves black, by ethnicity and race. Lenny Kravitz for one.
    And there are some who don't. It SHOULD be a personal choice, not something forced upon you by idiotic rules created by people who wanted to hold you back because of your ancestry. Good for Halle for defining herself, but this theory that she is basing it on has a very toxic history IMO.

    Quote Originally Posted by Allskate View Post
    That's different from saying that you're black if you have even one drop of African blood in you, a policy that was adopted for racist reasons. It's also different from denying your non-African heritage. It's true that many people will label a person based on looks, but many people who "look" like they fall into one category embrace their entire family background and ancestry. A friend of mine looks very Asian (Japanese), but she's half Argentinian (though nobody would guess from the way she looks) and very much embraces both sides of her family and their race, cultures, and languages. I think her mother would be unhappy if she identified herself purely as Asian-American or Japanese-American even though everyone who doesn't know her perceives her that way. It would have absolutely nothing to do with racism against Asians and everything to do with wanting to be acknowledged as part of who her daughter is.
    THANK you. And I think about numerous celebs with Asian or Hispanic ancestry who are considered "white". Keanu Reeves for one....I can think of quite a few others. Only people of African descent are forced to choose.

  6. #66

    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    I Want to Go to There
    Posts
    9,852
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    40880
    To be fair to Halle, I think it's because Halle was a subject of the one-drop theory and I remember hearing her say that her mom always emphasized that she was black and not white because society would never see her as anything other than black. I guess Halle took that to heart. The way people treat prominent biracial black people in America, it seems to be the case sadly.

    Having said that, I agree the history of that idea is toxic and also agree that its stupid to force it upon people who may want to get away from that.
    "Corporation, n. An ingenious device for obtaining individual profit without individual responsibility." - Ambrose Bierce

  7. #67

    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Walking to Work
    Posts
    25,842
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    32560
    "Definitions belong to the definers, not the defined" - Toni Morrison.

  8. #68
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Posts
    659
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by deltask8er View Post
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz...#ixzz1DNCYdwCB

    oh boy...I'm glad I'm not directly involved in this
    Sorry, I'm not familiar with the dailymail... Is it a reliable source?

  9. #69
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    in the boonies
    Posts
    3,114
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Regarding this matter...custody battles tend to bring out the worst in people sometimes.I am not taking sides on this but I will say that if he had plans to release the tapes to the court,it would've been a better idea for him not to say so to the press.If you have evidence against somebody,it's kind of best they don't know usually.IMO By letting the press know that he has such tapes,(1 he's alerting Halle he has them which gives her an opportunity to come up with an answer to those tapes and to get up dirt on him and
    (2 he is just gaining press for himself.If the point was to use these tapes in order to have his daughter in a good enviroment,there would be no need to let anyone outside of his lawyers know he had such tapes.That makes me question his motives.

    As to the one drop theory.I have been confronted by other Natives about that.I am not for that personally.I am an enrolled Native American.But I do not only identify myself as being just Native American.I am mixed and I am equally proud of the white side of my ancestry.It's a personal choice.And my children will identify themselves as whatever they choose.

  10. #70

    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    10,060
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    211
    Quote Originally Posted by DAngel View Post
    Sorry, I'm not familiar with the dailymail... Is it a reliable source?
    It's a British tabloid, but the article was referring to quotes from an interview done in a soon-to-be released issue of Ebony magazine.

    When I visited the Ebony site yesterday, it did not have a link to that article yet. Today it has an excerpt of the article.

    http://www.ebony.com/currentissue/halleberry.aspx

  11. #71
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Posts
    659
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Thanks, deltask8er.

  12. #72

    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    10,060
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    211
    Though he withdrew his bid for joint custody and child support, Aubry is still pursuing a paternity action against Berry, a family court matter that will be sealed to the public.
    http://www.eonline.com/uberblog/b226...lans_back.html

    http://images.eonline.com/static/news/pdf/aubry.pdf

  13. #73

    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Walking to Work
    Posts
    25,842
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    32560

  14. #74
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Philadelphia, PA
    Posts
    2,173
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by VIETgrlTerifa View Post
    To be fair to Halle, I think it's because Halle was a subject of the one-drop theory and I remember hearing her say that her mom always emphasized that she was black and not white because society would never see her as anything other than black.
    Exactly, and Halle's mother is right on the mark. If two pale white, blond-haired, blue-eyed parents were to have a child who looks like Halle, so what that the parents are white. The birth certificate may say white, but the child's brown skin (light brown, but still brown) is what determines how she will be viewed by society--black.

    In regards to the one-drop rule, it was actually put into law in the 20th century here in the United States, and not only in southern states. Other states had similar laws (blood fraction rules), supposedly for census purposes.

    IMO, calling Halle an idiot or claiming she took her role in Queen too seriously is ludicrous, and ignores American history.

  15. #75

    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Walking to Work
    Posts
    25,842
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    32560
    Quote Originally Posted by duane View Post
    Exactly, and Halle's mother is right on the mark. If two pale white, blond-haired, blue-eyed parents were to have a child who looks like Halle, so what that the parents are white. The birth certificate may say white, but the child's brown skin (light brown, but still brown) is what determines how she will be viewed by society--black.

    In regards to the one-drop rule, it was actually put into law in the 20th century here in the United States, and not only in southern states. Other states had similar laws (blood fraction rules), supposedly for census purposes.

    IMO, calling Halle an idiot or claiming she took her role in Queen too seriously is ludicrous, and ignores American history.
    We can agree to disagree.
    The one-drop theory dates before the 20th century. And IMO, she is an idiot because to me she's basically supporting white supremacy.

  16. #76
    Bountifully Enmeshed
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    At the Christmas Bizarre
    Posts
    38,161
    vCash
    250
    Rep Power
    46687
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrushka View Post
    By letting the press know that he has such tapes,(1 he's alerting Halle he has them which gives her an opportunity to come up with an answer to those tapes and to get up dirt on him
    Before a case goes to trial, there is a process called discovery that lets each side know what evidence the other is going to present, with some exceptions. It doesn't matter whether Aubry talks to the press or not (although he's better off keeping his mouth shut); Halle's lawyers already know or soon will exactly what is in those tapes.

    Nahla is a gorgeous child, whatever race she is. And if her father has been part of her life and wants to be part of her life, it is a terrible thing to take that away from her.
    "The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources."-- Albert Einstein.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •