Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by genevieve View Post
    She's right - it would barely be noteworthy if their genders were reversed. Mena Suvari (of American Beauty) married cinematographer Robert Brinkman when she was 20 and he was 38 - it made a brief ripple in the news but not much.
    It makes me a bit squirmy when the age difference is that great, regardless of the gender. I feel the same way about Catherine Zeta-Jones and Michael Douglas too.

And yes, when I was 27, I dated someone who was in their mid-fifties. It didn't last.
    Last edited by Rex; 05-01-2010 at 03:10 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by overedge View Post
    Oh my....
    http://www.people.com/people/article...364364,00.html

And she has a 13 year old daughter from a previous relationship....I can't imagine being 13 and having a 19 year old stepdad.
    Can't be any wierder than being 19 and having a 69-year-old father like a girl I know. His oldest kid is pushing 50, so she has a brother who is old enough to be her father, and a father old enough to be her grandfather.

vCash
    I think since the father of the baby is still a teenager, that relationship is just borderline pediophilia. Now if he was 25 and she 45 or something like that then it would be ok but exactly when did that relationship start? Reminds me of Woody Allen...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Karina1974 View Post
    Can't be any wierder than being 19 and having a 69-year-old father like a girl I know. His oldest kid is pushing 50, so she has a brother who is old enough to be her father, and a father old enough to be her grandfather.
    This is me, almost exactly. My father is 67, my half-brother is late 40s. I am almost 21. I have the coolest, most amazing, most wonderful father in the entire planet, and it has never for a moment been 'weird'. If someone takes issue with it, or the large age difference my parents had when they were married, I chalk it up to ignorance on their part and move on. And that's it.
    Last edited by michiruwater; 05-01-2010 at 04:40 AM.

OmnipresentAdmeanistrator
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by orbitz View Post
    Because the young guy has to deal with a wrinkled, sagging Va-Jay-jay ?
    I take it you don't have much experience with "va-jay-jays"? Maybe that's why you managed to be both sexist and ageist at the same time. Yay for you.

Btw, what exactly is that silly euphemism of? If of a vagina, vaginas are hollow tubes inside the body, they're wrinkled by design and for very good reasons.

Quote Originally Posted by Buzz View Post
    I think since the father of the baby is still a teenager, that relationship is just borderline pediophilia.
    Pedophilia is an attraction to pre-pubescent children. It's not even close to pedophilia.

Personally I'm pretty sure the relationship won't last and they are quite selfish for bringing a child to this world in their situation, but when I see comments like that, I think more power to them. Men do it all the time and hardly anyone bats an eye. It's one thing to say it's inappropriate, irresponsible, selfish, etc. than come up with sexual organs being wrinkled (at 43? live and learn)...and pedophilia?

Dashing Between Bennetton and Krispy Kreme
    vCash
    Not necessarily.

Here's Tracy Ullman's spin on the nether regions.

Banned Member
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PrincessLeppard View Post
    At 43? I don't think so.
    Certainly not, mine is almost 51 things work far better now than when I was young! My husband and I have had a few conversations about sex when we are older, I suppose it will change at some point, but men are good till their 70's...no?
    Without fear you cannot find courage

vCash
    They are both at or nearing their sexual peaks right now too. Men bloom (and burn out) earlier than women.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by WindSpirit View Post
    I take it you don't have much experience with "va-jay-jays"? Maybe that's why you managed to be both sexist and ageist at the same time. Yay for you.
    Gee, have you even once considered that it made as a joke? Obviously not.

OmnipresentAdmeanistrator
    vCash
    Gee, have you even once considered that it made as a joke? Obviously not.
    Oh yeah, sorry. Then it's very funny. Not.

vCash
    Would you have "joked" the same way about a 43-year old guy's penis? Me thinks not.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by WindSpirit View Post
    Why is it gross?
    The word 'gross' infers that the older partner is icky or not attractive. But that needn't be the case necessarily.

One of the concerns people have with old men-young women is the power imbalance. You have old men with scads of money and lots of power and status marrying young beautiful women who have an illusion of power. Such relationships have the potential for an abuse of power or a powerful imbalance. And you also have women looking for a father figure, which is another set-up for a power imbalance.

Of course this isn't the case for all old male/young female relationships. There can be genuine love and affection in a relationship with a huge age gap.

And a 10-15 year isn't really so much of a gap when mature people are involved - it is different for a 30 year old to partner with a 45 year old than for a 18 year old to partner with a 33 year old.

vCash
    She can train him! Wheee!!!!!
    Haunting the Princess of Pink since 20/07/11...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12