Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Firefly123 View Post
    I would rather muscle through a jump incorrectly than not have that jump at all.....
    If you're doing the jump incorrectly, then you don't have that jump.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by overedge View Post
    If you're doing the jump incorrectly, then you don't have that jump.
    And doing jumps in isolation is very very different than doing them in a program.
    Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by flyingsit View Post
    And doing jumps in isolation is very very different than doing them in a program.
    Very true.

vCash
    Not sure what to reply. Might have to show up at Adult Nats in person to continue the discussion....
    Ah, more sarcasm. Let's rephrase this to what you're actually saying; might have to show up at AN in person because I'm oh so amazing and I'm going to kick all your butts, you'll see, then you'll be silenced".

Well a. You won't get there
    b. You could compete in the lower levels but your sub par basic skating will mean you won't medal and you can't use you double jumps.

vCash
    I'm sorry. I think we disagree about what a good skater is. I think a good skater is the one who can do the most tricks. Others think a good skater is one who can move smoothly across the ice and look "pretty." It is a legitimate disagreement.....
    Having good edges, allowing you to easily gain speed and move smoothly over the ice is an extremely difficult skill to master.

So difficult in fact, that it continues to elude you.

vCash
    If you're THAT determined to compete on your own terms, then save your pennies and enter the ISU Adult Competition that's held every year usually in Germany). They have no test requirements; you read the requirements and enter the level your skill set fits. Then you could pit yourself against skaters from the around the world and see how well you fare with international-level judges. You'd still have to join US Figure Skating (or some federation) though.

But the IJS protocols would give you a pretty decent breakdown of your skills with regard to the individual elements and the program compenents like skating skills and transitions.

Of course, that's only one event a year.
    I'd rather be thought of as absolutely ridiculous than as absolutely boring.

vCash
    And to give a real life example of how good edges and transitions trump poor jumps - I beat out 2 younger chicks in one of my first competitions a few years ago even though my hardest jumps were salchow & toe loop - the other ladies all had flips and loops, but my footwork kicked a$$ and their basic skills were a bit lacking. I came in 2nd - the girl who beat me had both the jumps and the footwork. I keep working on my moves because I know they will pay off in bigger, better & more difficult jumps, as well as better spins and transitions.

“It is far more important to have a good judge than a possible conflict of interest." - Ottavio Cinquanta
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Diane Mars View Post
    I was a gymnast. I understand what you're talking about. But, for the record, I had been very lucky sharing the ice with a 60 years old female figure skater during winter 2008-2009. She still had ALL her double jumps (Axel included !) in her legs, and some nice combos ! (2A - 2T, for instance), a fantastic Bielmann and her spins (~20 revolutions, when explaining me how to do -and me trying to understand her, because of the "stroboscopic effect" while spinning, on the surface of a CD !!!!! ) and edges were to die for !
    I hope this is me when I'm 60.

vCash
    Ah, more sarcasm. Let's rephrase this to what you're actually saying; might have to show up at AN in person because I'm oh so amazing and I'm going to kick all your butts, you'll see, then you'll be silenced".]
    Please do not misrepresent what I wrote. That was not my intended meaning at all. What I ment was that I will be going in person so anyone who might want to say anything (rude) to me can do so in person. To my face. That is what I was implying. It had absolutely nothing to do with skating skills. It is much easier to be rude on a message board than it is to someone's face. That is what I was implying....

If you wish to believe that I am arrogant then go right ahead. I will not bother trying to explain to you (again) that I needed to use an example to back the argument that certain skaters are an exception. It wasn't arrogance, it was an example in support of an argument that demonstrates the crux of this ongoing debate. Whatever.

Well a. You won't get there
    b. You could compete in the lower levels but your sub par basic skating will mean you won't medal and you can't use you double jumps.
    I am confused. Your logic is faulty. If a, then there could be no b. And, by the way, (since you seem to know so much about the future), can you give me some lottery numbers???

And dare I hope that you will be attending Adult Nationals SpiralGirl?

So difficult in fact, that it continues to elude you.
    Well, I have no problem with it Ziggy if you don't. And btw, I also don't bother practicing the layback spin. Hurts my lower back. I have some bad discs. Not working on the backflip either. I know better than to try. So you see I pick and choose. It seems that this edge thing just isn't important to me. Just like (I would assume, but you may correct me if I am wrong), russian splits aren't on your "to do" list.... People pick and choose..... Nothing wrong with that.

If you're THAT determined to compete on your own terms, then save your pennies and enter the ISU Adult Competition that's held every year usually in Germany). They have no test requirements; you read the requirements and enter the level your skill set fits. Then you could pit yourself against skaters from the around the world and see how well you fare with international-level judges.
    Thanks for the information. I'd love to go but I can barely pay rent, eat and skate much less go to Europe (unless SpiralGirl can come up with those numbers for me.)

But you bring up a very interesting point: How come they will allow a no test structure over there when we won't here?

And to give a real life example of how good edges and transitions trump poor jumps - I beat out 2 younger chicks in one of my first competitions a few years ago even though my hardest jumps were salchow & toe loop - the other ladies all had flips and loops, but my footwork kicked a$$ and their basic skills were a bit lacking. I came in 2nd - the girl who beat me had both the jumps and the footwork.
    Well, that's cool. ....But I think what a lot of you are missing is I just want the right to try. Whether I win or not just isn't very important to me. Honestly.....But skating in a division where I can use all my items and skate against skaters who have (roughly) the same items kind of is.

moving right along
    vCash
    zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

i think we've had enough of this. thread closed.

Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011