Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Yeah, I was just kidding about that kissing up part. ....But I do think it is a good idea to maybe voulenteer at one of the clubs. Like Skittl said, it might be fun.

Actually...there is one coach who has been very nice to me (I took a few lessons from her early on when I first switched over.) She has even complimented me many times. I will definitely get her to review the MITF when I start and before I test (at the very least.)

After thinking about it for a while, (I'm home right now with foot surgery which is why I'm on the forum bothering you all so much. Got sick of watching Jerry Springer and dying to get back to the rink.), I'm willing to admit I was wrong.

When I go back, I won't be able to jump for a while...Perfect time to try this MITF stuff.

Guess if I had spent half the time working on the MITF that I spent trying to aviod them and complaining I'd probably be Masters level by now...

Btw, Are any of you guys/gals going to Lake Placid in August? I will be there for the first 3 days at least. (I can't get the whole week off work. Bummer.) I promise not to mention anything about dying swans and you can laugh at my portrayal of a maniacal, homicidal clown.

P.S. Don't worry, the foot surgery isn't from skating....Remember all those great looking pointy shoes and boots from the 1980s. The ones that pushed your toes together....Well, my toes never really straightened back out. Ouch!! I won't gross you out with the details.....but I had to get it fixed. Don't worry. Nothing skating realted.
    Last edited by Firefly123; 05-01-2010 at 02:06 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Firefly123 View Post
    Guess if I had spent half the time working on the MITF that I spent trying to aviod them and complaining I'd probably be Masters level by now...
    LOL! That's probably true.

I'm not going to Lake Placid (though I'd love to) or any other camp this summer, but depending where you are located the adult weekend at Detroit Skating Club was great. At least the way last year's "artistry" seminar was done you'd probably really enjoy it- it was all about connecting moves that led into... jumps. Then the jump seminar quite a few people were getting help with their doubles, while I worked on my first ever lutzes. The spin seminar was divided by levels with half the ice learning difficult variations and the other half working on more basics. This year they are doing figure too- which probably don't interest you, but could be an interesting look into the "history" of the sport.

vCash
    Acutually, from a technical standpoint, I can definitely see the challenge of doing a jump out of steps. I think I would have liked that seminar very much.... Guess I can see this is where the MITF come in. I am pretty good if I am allowed to telegraph....but, um, not so good if I have to do a jump right out of a step pattern. It is really a lot harder, I see why they give the extra points.

Lutz (with that tricky edge take off) would be another good example of using the MITF. Do you like that jump, skittl? I've found that some skaters are "lutzers" and some....um.....aren't. I'm definitely in the "aren't" camp. Maybe gkelly is right and the MITF will help....

Yup, Lake Placid will be my first camp.

Detroit sounds like lots of fun. Have also heard good things about Hakensack, NJ (Ice House).....But it's hard for me to get time off in the summer (especially June) due to work. So I guess it's just LP this year and only for 3 days. Heard a rumor that John Zimmerman and his wife Silvia Fontania have stopped in from time to time during adult week to give lessons. Going to start saving my coffee $ just in case. I'd love to take a lesson and get my skates signed.

vCash
    Note: Obviously, I will hire a coach for 1 or 2 lessons to go over my MITF when I think they are ready in order to "catch" any errors. But I doubt that any coach will want to sign me in after only 2 lessons knowing I will only hire them a few more times to check out some MITF, not for freestyle. I have already printed off the diagrams from the USFS site. They look relatively simple to follow. (I didn't say to skate, I just mean following the diagram around the rink.)
    I just want to echo those that are saying have a coach look at your MIF way before you "think they're ready". The first few MIF tests are fairly straightforward but as you progress, there really are things you can't teach yourself from the book and diagrams. Chances are, when you have the coach check them out, they'll find a bunch of errors and it will take more than one or two lessons to fix them. I really REALLY don't reccomend your trying to teach yourself the moves, it would be foolish. Especially since you'll be starting from the beginning, having a good solid foundation with the simpler MIF will make it so much easier when you tackle the harder MIF. For instance, you won't be able to do the counter pattern correctly on Novice if you don't have good, solid cross strokes from Juvenile.

"Guess if I had spent half the time working on the MITF that I spent trying to aviod them and complaining I'd probably be Masters level by now"

To be blunt, you're right. If you're really serious about wanting to be at the Masters level, this is just what you have to do, like it or not. I don't know too too many people who LOVE working on MIF, I know I don't. But really, my skating has suffered the past couple years because of it and now I have to really buckle down and work work work my Novice MIF. Yeah, they're a pain, but I'll only become a better skater because of it. I'm sure the same will be said for your own skating.

vCash
    Novice Moves???!!! Good for you!! Holly Molly!! I can't imagine getting that far. I was hoping to get up to Intermediate on a wing and a prayer and the new scoring system, (if it actually gets adopted, that is). The reason I picked Intermediate is because when Lexi saw my videos she agreed that, yes, Masters is my "correct" level, (though I may be a bit weaker in the transitions than most of the skaters at that level).

I figured that I could skate Masters Intermediate/Novice by passing the Intermediate MITF and FS. Right? I have checked the current guidelines on the USFS site and they do cap the doubles at this level (even for championship), so you can't use 2flip or any jump above....But you can still use any spin.... And my jumps aren't that great above 2flip anyway. (The occasional cheated 2axel and 3sal/toe which would probably deduct more points than they would add.) And, of course, my transitions/footwork would be my weak point....So I think this is my "correct" level. (Not Masters Junior/Senior like I had originally thought.) If this is true, then I only need to pass the Intermediate MITF and FS right? Because Intermediate is combined with Novice. Right?

Of course, if I did want to skate without limitation on the jumps, I would have to get to Masters Junior/Senior and pass at least the Junior MITF and FS. Junior MITF Yikes!!!

vCash
    Don't be impressed with my Novice moves. Many many skaters at the Gold level (where I am at) have passed Junior and Senior moves. MIF will defintiely help with your transitions. Even if you have good jumps and spins, you won't do well if you get hammered on your PCS score. Yes, you can skate Masters Intermediate/Novice if you pass your Intermediate MIF and FS tests. That sounds like that's a good goal for you, and then you can see how you do at that level. Just a note though, it's not a new scoring system. Every test has a passing average, and you must be at or above that average to pass. The new proposals will just make the passing average for adults a little lower. It's not a new scoring system at all.

And yes, if you did want to skate without any jump limitations, you'd have to pass your Junior MIF and FS. But don't get ahead of yourself. Like I said, even if you have a cheated 2 axel and 3 sal, that won't do any good if you don't have strong PCS. And you're also right by saying cheated jumps will do more harm than good. Even if the jumps aren't cheated, if the technique isn't good, you'll get negative GOEs on it.

vCash
    Oops...you're right. It's a new passing average, not a new scoring system.
    Still hope they vote in favor of it, though. (I need it, along with my wing and prayer.)

Question: How will we know? Will someone from the committe post it on the forum? Or will be be up on the general USFS site?
    I probably won't be an "official" USFS member until the season starts in the fall (Sept or Oct). So I'm not allowed on the members only pages. Can someone tell me if it passes?

vCash
    Oops...you're right. It's a new passing average, not a new scoring system.
    Still hope they vote in favor of it, though. (I need it, along with my wing and prayer.)

Question: How will we know? Will someone from the committe post it on the forum? Or will be be up on the general USFS site?
    I probably won't be an "official" USFS member until the season starts in the fall (Sept or Oct). So I'm not allowed on the members only pages. Can someone tell me if it passes?
    We'll know pretty quickly. Someone will post it on Facebook or on a blog and it will spread to these forums pretty quickly. I'm going to be staying close to my computer for most of the day...except when I have to go skate myself in a few hours.

vCash
    Yes, to both. I believe the vote takes place today, so we may know by tomorrow.

The membership year starts in July, so you might as well join at the beginning of the membership season.

That would allow you to test prebronze and maybe even bronze moves during the summer, which you could be ready for if you start working on them now.

If you can't get back onto the ice after your surgery until summer or fall, then there's no rush.

The kind of info you want will be listed under the "Technical Information" link on the main page, and there will be a report of action from the Governing Council after it concludes.

You'll only need to get into Members Only to check your own information (test history, etc.) once you generate some.

vCash
    Oh Thanks!! Yes, I will join in the summer then. According to the doctor, I can skate again around Memorial Day, but she said to take it easy for a few weeks.....So that would be a great time to work on moves. I don't even want to think about slamming that toepick into the ice for jump takeoffs until the broken toes are well healed.

And I'll be watching the site for news of the new adult passing average if it is adopted (fingers crossed).

vCash
    Lutz (with that tricky edge take off) would be another good example of using the MITF. Do you like that jump, skittl? I've found that some skaters are "lutzers" and some....um.....aren't. I'm definitely in the "aren't" camp. Maybe gkelly is right and the MITF will help....
    LOL. No- I don't like it. I don't like jumping at all! I haven't really done many lutzes since that camp, just because I'm still working on loop at home. My half-flip is the only jump I actually have visible lift off from the ice, so I have hope that my flip will come eventually. Waltz jump is really the only one I feel comfortable doing- but I don't have a big one.

But I do think spending a bit of time on MITF and really getting to know your edges may help you with the lutz/flip distinction. It's tough to keep an outside edge if you aren't really familar with how it feels

vCash
    Skittl,
    I feel for you. If you're not a natural jumper, I'm impressed that you actually tried it at camp. Lutz can be a nasty jump.

I usually like to jump...but that edge change is a tricky business. It is the same for walleys. I need them for ISI 7, if I want to ever test that, but the walley combo is really the one element that is keeps me from testing it.
    You are right. The MITF might just come in handy after all......

vCash
    I'll put this in both threads, but it has passed!

vCash
    Thanks for the great news, Stormy!!

vCash
    Heard a rumor that John Zimmerman and his wife Silvia Fontania have stopped in from time to time during adult week to give lessons. Going to start saving my coffee $ just in case. I'd love to take a lesson and get my skates signed.
    John and Sylvia are really good teachers. If they're there, you should have fun in their session.
    And so, dear Lord, it is with deep sadness that we turn over to you this young woman, whose dream to ride on a giant swan resulted in her death. Maybe it is your way of telling us... to buy American.

vCash
    You got to meet them!!! WOW!!

I just hope I'm not so shocked I forget how to skate!!

vCash
    You got to meet them!!! WOW!!

I just hope I'm not so shocked I forget how to skate!!
    Once you get past the initial "OMG you're John Zimmerman" you'll be fine. He's very nice, so don't worry about it.
    And so, dear Lord, it is with deep sadness that we turn over to you this young woman, whose dream to ride on a giant swan resulted in her death. Maybe it is your way of telling us... to buy American.

Corgi Wrangler
    vCash
    Yes, join in July! They don't prorate, so get your full year's worth.

You definitely do NOT need a club. I tested at three or four different ones (my coaches were independent) and it was never a problem. And at least with the standard track/standard scoring (I've never done Adult or been scored as one) they usually treat the first test as an 'encouragement', so you REALLY have to bomb it not to pass.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by danceronice View Post
    And at least with the standard track/standard scoring (I've never done Adult or been scored as one) they usually treat the first test as an 'encouragement', so you REALLY have to bomb it not to pass.
    The first tests (pre-pre and pre-bronze) actually say on the judging forms that this is an encouragement test.

vCash
    Oh no!! Now,if I flunk I will feel really horrible!!

Yes, I'm definitely waiting to join USFS (as an individual member) until the new year (July 1st). Also, going to wait to sign up for tests until all the new changes take effect (Sept 2nd). I don't think it really affects Pre-Bronze and Bronze, but just to make sure.....

I will take a few lessons (even at Lake Placid) on the MITF just to make sure I know what I'm doing by September. It's not the turns themselves or even the edges so much that are the problem, but the pattern....That's why I "flunked" pliminary when I tried it. I had one bad 3 turn (nerves), but I the big problem was my patterns were "off" (judge wrote something like that. Can't remember exact wording. Guess it has to be a certain spot on the rink or on the "circle" for the waltz 8.) I'll have to pay more attention this time.

Also, doctor says I need additional foot surgery in the fall, (probably October) ....so I will be back on the boards bothering you all. (Run for the hills!!)

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast