In the middle of a hair war with Alena Leonova.
    vCash

Lateral Twist/Lift/Throw Question - Brasseur and Eisler

I was watching the 1994 Olympics Pairs competition, and realized that Brasseur and Eisler did a triple lateral throw twist lift (however you want to put it), AND a regular split triple twist.

Did that count as one of their lifts, or a throw, or even a slot for a sbs jump? (My recording's out of reach now and I can't find this particular program on Youtube to count elements against other programs.)

I know that there were some differences in pairs requirements between then and now (i.e. no throw in the SP; three sbs jump windows in the LP (but I don't know how many combos were allowed)). But how did the lateral twist count? How was it scored in 6.0?

And what category does the lateral twist fit into now? I tried to look for a point value, but all I could find was a general classification of twist lifts within lifts. So if a pair were to do the lateral twist today under CoP, would it count as their twist lift? What are the point values? And if it doesn't count as the twist, and they can do a regular one as well (like B/E did) - does it count as a lift, and if so, how is it scored against the other "traditional" lifts?

Hmmm ... also, does anyone perform this now? Maybe the Zhangs? (maybe they do it kinda in-betweeny)

vCash
    From p. 104 of the 'blue book' following the 2008 Congress, the pair teams are permitted 2 twists as part of their 4 lifts. Most do 3 lifts and a twist lift..but they could do 2 Twists and 2 lifts.

....A Senior Well Balanced Program must contain:
    • maximum of 3 lifts, one of which must be from Group 3 or 4, with full extension of the lifting arm/s;
    • maximum of 2 twist lift (there can be not more than 4 lifts and twist lifts in total and if there are 2 twist lifts, these must be with different take-offs);
    • maximum of 2 different throw jumps;
    • maximum of 1 solo jump;
    • maximum of 1 jump combination or sequence;
    • maximum of 1 solo spin combination;
    • maximum of 1 pair spin combination;
    • maximum of 1 death spiral;
    • maximum of 1 step sequence (seasons 2008-2009 and 2010-2011);
    • maximum of 1 sequence of spirals (season 2009-2010).

my understanding of a lateral is that it is scored the same as a Twist lift...and not given extra scoring for the lateral 'feature/impact/difficulty'.
    I think Pang Tong have the lateral twist.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sedge View Post
    From p. 104 of the 'blue book' following the 2008 Congress, the pair teams are permitted 2 twists as part of their 4 lifts. Most do 3 lifts and a twist lift..but they could do 2 Twists and 2 lifts.

my understanding of a lateral is that it is scored the same as a Twist lift...and not given extra scoring for the lateral 'feature/impact/difficulty'.
    I think Pang Tong have the lateral twist.
    Didn't Kitty and Peter Carruthers do one as well back in the day?

clutching a very dry gin martini up with a twist
    vCash
    OT, but Keley(sp?) and Miro did a lateral twist lift that ended in a platter lift. It was pretty incredible.

vCash
    Narumi Takahshi & Mervyn Tran do a lateral twist.

vCash
    For that matter, M&B used to do a lateral twist (I don't remember whether they did one this year or not. I quit following pairs very closely.

vCash
    But isn't Brasseur and Eisler's lateral from a different entrance? It looks more like an axel entrance rather than a lutz/flip entrance which would give it a higher base value. Isabelle looks like she enters it forwards. The Chinese twists aren't true laterals. They only do the split from one leg which tilts them in the air making them slightly lateral but they are the same lutz entrance as everyone else.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Civic View Post
    Didn't Kitty and Peter Carruthers do one as well back in the day?
    My memory is that they "invented" the lateral.

vCash
    I'm pretty sure Underhill and Martini did one as well, at least in 1984. It wasn't a triple, a single or double. And V&V had a really neat axel entrance twist (I can't remember exactly if it was an axel, but it was not a lutz) that was really neat.

vCash
    Cherkasova & Shakrai could do the same entrance as V&V. Looked like a forward entrance (so axel?) to me.