Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Banned Member
    vCash
    Pretty dress and pretty color on her, why are not her skating costumes that nice?
    Without fear you cannot find courage

vCash
    It doesn't matter what Rachel Flatt wears on ice, people will find any reason to talk about how unflattering her outfit is or how unappealing they find her skating.
    "Corporation, n. An ingenious device for obtaining individual profit without individual responsibility." - Ambrose Bierce

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by VIETgrlTerifa View Post
    It doesn't matter what Rachel Flatt wears on ice, people will find any reason to talk about how unflattering her outfit is or how unappealing they find her skating.
    I know it can be harsh, but this is figure skating. People are going to criticize everything, including appearance and presence on the ice. Overall, I think everyone on here is pretty fair when speaking about Rachael. Most people acknowledge that she's a bright girl and compliment her work ethic, but simply don't care for her skating. Nothing wrong with that.

Personally, I feel that Rachael is underrated, especially with her artistry. She has more personality in her programs than many of the other skaters, imo.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by RockTheTassel View Post
    I know it can be harsh, but this is figure skating. People are going to criticize everything, including appearance and presence on the ice.
    I've been in the skating fandom culture long enough to know that, but thanks for taking the time to explain it to me.

Overall, I think everyone on here is pretty fair when speaking about Rachael. Most people acknowledge that she's a bright girl and compliment her work ethic, but simply don't care for her skating. Nothing wrong with that.
    Maybe you've missed some of the very nasty comments directed at her post-Nationals leading up to the Olympics. And just because people acknowledge some of her bright spots doesn't mean they can't also be a big nasty when it comes to their snark regarding Rachael. Not to say I'm not guilty of the same thing either, but just saying that it's not as if bashing Rachael Flatt's looks, etc. will cause any uproar around here.
    "Corporation, n. An ingenious device for obtaining individual profit without individual responsibility." - Ambrose Bierce

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by VIETgrlTerifa View Post
    Maybe you've missed some of the very nasty comments directed at her post-Nationals leading up to the Olympics. And just because people acknowledge some of her bright spots doesn't mean they can't also be a big nasty when it comes to their snark regarding Rachael. Not to say I'm not guilty of the same thing either, but just saying that it's not as if bashing Rachael Flatt's looks, etc. will cause any uproar around here.
    I've seen a few "isolated incidents" here and there (mostly from those who felt Nagasu was "robbed" of the title) but I don't recall any comments quite at the scale that, say, Emily Hughes got in recent years. Then again, I didn't have access to the closed forums here so who knows what went on in there during Olys, etc.

Skaters like Hughes, Flatt, et al. seem to be subject to more flack than the norm due to their "unconventional" skating styles and bodies (i.e. not ballerina-like, not stick-thin), I notice. Of course, that's not the ONLY reason people rip on certain skaters but I think that's a big part of it. (Attitude being another big one.) Criticizing style of skating is one thing, but I notice it frequently gets personal.

But another factor on the forums is basher:defender ratio. And it will be different for each skater and each forum. If it's 1:1 or 2:2 things sorta cancel out. But if it's 2:1 or 3:1 it basically gives the impression that open season has been declared on that skater since it appears no one is standing up for her. This, I take it, is what's meant by "it's not as if bashing Rachael Flatt's looks, etc. will cause any uproar around here." B : D ratio for Rachel (on FSU) is skewed. I do notice though that in recent months posters are (finally) rising to Hughes' defense. Haven't seen too much of that for Rachel Flatt though. It also works the other way too (ha!)- I'm reminded of how people vigorously defended Meissner when some unfavorable article was written about her.
    Last edited by RD; 05-02-2010 at 10:21 PM.

Corgi Wrangler
    vCash
    Well, I'll 'bash' her boring skating, but if she's fat, I'm a water buffalo. (Like the first time I saw Emily Hughes in person and realized how tiny she is. Sheesh. They can't all be bird-boned Asian girls, people. Heck, Michelle Kwan is Asian and isn't a little china doll.)

I think she'd look better in jewel tones, especially on the ice, though. Not 'hot' orangey reds, maybe some jewel-tone greens, blues, purples...would look STUNNING with her hair and skin. And someone should tell her to look at the bodice of her prom dress and have a skating dress made with that general idea in mind.

vCash
    The problem with her competition costumes is the mesh. Mesh looks absolutely horrid on anyone, and can turn a gorgeous costume into a rag - and I think it did just that with her LP costume this year. Spaghetti straps instead of mesh, and she'd have look fab.

The neckline of that dress is beautiful, and having a neckline like that on a dress of any colour would look great on her.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by pinky166 View Post
    She looks so much better in that dress than in her skating dresses. She's actually quite pretty and very fit, she just desperately needs a new costume designer!
    ITA!! She looks so nice here, but I really don't like her costumes or the colors they just aren't flattering.

vCash

~(singing)~ Here she is, Miss America.....

Rachael with Jake: http://a3.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphot..._6098137_n.jpg Cutest couple!

vCash
    She looks fantastic!
    Charter member of the "We Always Believed in Ashley" Club and the "We Believe in Ricky" Club
    Old, lonely, pathos-hungry, and extremely gullible

vCash
    hmm, Jake who?

vCash
    She looks beautiful!!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jot the Dot Dot View Post
    How come she looks so beautiful in normal clothes and not in skating clothes?

Resident Rude Brazilian
    In a million depressions over the end of the World Cup
    vCash
    Exactly. She looks stunning here.

vCash
    Rachael looks stunning.

vCash
    Wow, beautiful! I normally hate black for proms, but that is gorgeous (is that prom? Not hers, but his?).

Quote Originally Posted by RD View Post
    hmm, Jake who?
    Yeah, I second this! Boyfriend, guy she knew from HS who needed a prom date, guy who looks really cute with her?

vCash
    I think she looks beautiful in much of her skating clothing
    "Marge, if you're going to get mad at me every time I do something stupid, then I guess I'm just going to have to stop doing stupid things!" - Homer Simpson in the Mr. Plow episode

vCash
    Rachael looks awesome.

vCash
    Quite a different look for Rachael comparing last year's prom photo at the beginning of this thread.

She looks very sophisticated and beautiful. Love the dress.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jot the Dot Dot View Post
    That is an awesome picture. Makes me smile. Rachael looks gorgeous.

The trouble is that Rachael absolutely looks better live, and her "packaging" and programs have been poor the last couple of years... every time I see her live in competition, or in a show, I like her better than on TV. If she decides to continue to be high- profile skater while at Stanford, I wish that she goes for the style that SHE likes most, whatever it is. But in any case, she is a smart, beautiful, determined woman, good luck to her whatever she does!
    Last edited by dinakt; 05-28-2011 at 01:52 AM.
    improving my ballad- like lines

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast