Page 13 of 17 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast
    Satisfied skating fan
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by zaphyre14 View Post
    I have no doubt that any SOI venue that included Johnny as a guest skater might show increased ticket sales from the Angels. The question is whether those "extra" sales would cover SOI's extra costs in including him - his payment, promotional costs over and above the normal, royalty fees for his music, etc. His pressence would have to sell a lot of tickets just to cover the added expenses of hiring him.

And that's without figuring in how many potential butts-in-seats would decline to buy tickets because they don't want to see him specifically.
    But, don't you know those Angels are legion and two even fly in from Japan and that will certainly be sufficent to cover expenses. Besides, SOI should just suck that extra cost up simply to have the priviledge of having HIM skate in their silly little show because he's REAL.
    Those who never succeed themselves are always the first to tell you how.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by zaphyre14 View Post
    I have no doubt that any SOI venue that included Johnny as a guest skater might show increased ticket sales from the Angels. The question is whether those "extra" sales would cover SOI's extra costs in including him - his payment, promotional costs over and above the normal, royalty fees for his music, etc. His pressence would have to sell a lot of tickets just to cover the added expenses of hiring him.

And that's without figuring in how many potential butts-in-seats would decline to buy tickets because they don't want to see him specifically.
    Don't forget to add in the "damage control" costs when his unfiltered mouth opens up.
    "Once you've skated together long enough, and you're really good friends, you can close your eyes, put your hand out and she's right there." Joe Dolkiewicz, 2011 US Novice Pairs Bronze Medalist

Bountifully Enmeshed
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by aftershocks View Post
    Hmmmm, guess that's sorted out. However, bottom line remains that Johnny isn't wanted, and has never been invited to tour with SOI either this year or any year, for whatever reason, whatever excuse. The fact he hasn't sticks out like a sore thumb, and that's why there's all the discussion
    Now that Johnny has said he wouldn't skate with SOI if he were asked, the discussion should really end, don't you think? Unless people think Johnny should somehow be forced to skate with SOI because that's what the fans want.
    "The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources."-- Albert Einstein.

AYS's snark-sponge
    vCash
    the discussion should really end? Prancer, you're funny.

It doesn't matter that Johnny doesn't want to skate with SOI, its not about him skating with SOI now, its about the fact that they didn't invite him on in the first place and why! Its either because Johnny is love and SOI are not, or its because Johnny is hate and SOI can't make money off of that. We need to sort this out!
    Congratulations 2014 World Ice Dance Champions Anna Cappellini & Luca Lanotte!!!

Saint Smugpawski
    Cutting Down Privet Because Food Prices Are Going Up Next Year
    vCash
    This thread is starting to sound like a Spike Lee joint.
    The fastest thing out of New Jersey since Tricky Nicky in a Muscovian handbasket

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Prancer View Post
    Now that Johnny has said he wouldn't skate with SOI if he were asked, the discussion should really end, don't you think?
    What still really interests me though is, how anyone would be offended to not be thought of as "family friendly", when they are having dry sex with their foot massager, are humping their aunt, straddling their agent or generally walk around naked on tv.

I wouldn`t want to explain this to my five year old, if I had one. It`s worse than going to the zoo and watching the animals mate.
    Cheering for the headcases

Just me
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueRidge View Post
    the discussion should really end? Prancer, you're funny.
    Wait, I thought she was the one in charge!
    If this is to end in fire
    Then we will all burn together

vCash
    Humping his AUNT?? Yipe! Much more of this sort of thing, and he'll be his own grandpa.
    Charter member of the "We Always Believed in Ashley" Club and the "We Believe in Ricky" Club
    Old, lonely, pathos-hungry, and extremely gullible

Bountifully Enmeshed
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Rainbow View Post
    What still really interests me though is, how anyone would be offended to not be thought of as "family friendly", when they are having dry sex with their foot massager, are humping their aunt, straddling their agent or generally walk around naked on tv.
    But the "family friendly" idea, as far as we know, originated with a fan, so I'm not sure why it's an issue.

I wouldn`t want to explain this to my five year old, if I had one. It`s worse than going to the zoo and watching the animals mate.
    If I had a five-year-old and concerns like that, I wouldn't let my five-year-old watch Johnny's show.

There have been SOI numbers I wouldn't especially want to explain to a five-year-old, either, but fortunately, five-year-olds don't really need explanations for skating programs, as they have no context for some of the themes.
    "The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources."-- Albert Einstein.

vCash
    But the "family friendly" idea, as far as we know, originated with a fan, so I'm not sure why it's an issue.
    Wasn`t Johnny being quoted in an article as having an issue with the term?
    So my point was, if you would like to appear family friendly, use your foot massager for your feet and don`t straddle your agent. It projects a totally different image.
    Cheering for the headcases

AYS's snark-sponge
    vCash
    But we don't really know that do we?

Here is what GLAAD stated in an email to me:

We do have it on the record that stars on ice denied Weir because he is “not family friendly.” The comments were confirmed from a source who wishes to remain anonymous.
    It seems to me we simply don't know where the "not family friendly" phrase came from.
    Congratulations 2014 World Ice Dance Champions Anna Cappellini & Luca Lanotte!!!

Bountifully Enmeshed
    vCash
    Wasn`t Johnny being quoted in an article as having an issue with the term?
    So my point was, if you would like to appear family friendly, use your foot massager for your feet and don`t straddle your agent. It projects a totally different image.
    Johnny didn't like the term. But I don't think "family friendly" has anything to do with how little kids perceive things, no matter how many adults like to pretend it does.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueRidge View Post
    It seems to me we simply don't know where the "not family friendly" phrase came from.
    GLAAD does nothing to clarify that, either.

vCash
    Johnny didn't like the term. But I don't think "family friendly" has anything to do with how little kids perceive things, no matter how many adults like to pretend it does.
    It has to do with what parents see as appropriate for little kids. Close enough for government work.
    Charter member of the "We Always Believed in Ashley" Club and the "We Believe in Ricky" Club

AYS's snark-sponge
    vCash
    GLAAD does nothing to clarify that, either.
    That's my point. We simply don't know where the "not family friendly" thing originated. I don't think we know that it came from a fan anymore than we know it came from someone associated in some way with SOI.

We have about as much evidence to attribute it to space aliens as anyone else.

Bountifully Enmeshed
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Wyliefan View Post
    It has to do with what parents see as appropriate for little kids. Close enough for government work.
    As a parent, I don't understand that reasoning at all and it wouldn't cross my mind to stay away from SOI because of what Johnny does or does not do on an obscure reality show my children have never heard of, much less watched.

vCash
    I think we're talking about Johnny's image as a whole (aided by what has been referred to earlier in this thread as his lack of a filter). He's very much into this highly charged sexual persona right now. If he were to impulsively decide to bring it onto the ice some night, SOI would have one big fat PR mess on their hands. "No, ma'am, I don't think he meant to make that obscene gesture DIRECTLY at your four year old . . ." etc., etc.

Not that SOI hasn't had some other inappropriate numbers on occasion, as has been mentioned.

But it's all academic, since the "family friendly" thing is, as BlueRidge has pointed out, pretty poorly sourced.

AYS's snark-sponge
    vCash
    No, actually now I'm convinced it came from aliens. I read that somewhere. It must be true.

vCash
    Even aliens are Johnny haterz!

Bountifully Enmeshed
    vCash
    I think we're talking about Johnny's image as a whole (aided by what has been referred to earlier in this thread as his lack of a filter). He's very much into this highly charged sexual persona right now. If he were to impulsively decide to bring it onto the ice some night, SOI would have one big fat PR mess on their hands. "No, ma'am, I don't think he meant to make that obscene gesture DIRECTLY at your four year old . . ." etc., etc.
    Johnny has done a lot of things, but making obscene gestures at the audience?

Not that most four-year-olds would recognize such a gesture anyway, or know who Johnny Weir is, or have the slightest clue what a sexually charged persona is.

Again, it's not the little kids who are disturbed; it's the adults, who like to think they are freaking out because of the kids.

I'd be more disturbed at taking my adolescent children to see SOI and sitting through that lovely "Is She Sleeping With Him? Is He Sleeping With Her?" number that Katia and Ilia and two other skaters did a few years ago. They WOULD understand the theme. And no, I don't think it would inspire them to engage in secret partner swapping; I just think it would make them very uncomfortable to watch that with me.

AYS's snark-sponge
    vCash
    Even aliens are Johnny haterz!
    Its all right, they aren't love so they don't exist anyway...

Page 13 of 17 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast