Page 12 of 17 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by aftershocks View Post
    Contrary to what many believe, I don't think Johnny seeks out attention, he doesn't need to.
    Yeah, right. How do you think he's managed to build his D-list celebrity career?

Bountifully Enmeshed
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by danceronice View Post
    The majority of books don't earn any royalties at all. Unless you get a very unusual contract, authors are normally paid an advance, and then if the book earns out its advance they recieve royalties on it. Most books never earn out and end up remaindered. Or, as Clive James so brilliantly put it, "The book of my enemy has been remaindered, and I am pleased."
    Too true; Sue Grafton was on her fourth or fifth alphabet book--all bestsellers--before she could quit her day job and just write.

But celebrities generally get a bigger advance than most first-time authors, so Johnny should have gotten a tidy advance, if not, say, something in the A-list celebrity class.

Quote Originally Posted by Ziggy View Post
    Yeah, right. How do you think he's managed to build his D-list celebrity career?
    Natural charisma and charm, of course.
    "The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources."-- Albert Einstein.

Satisfied skating fan
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Debbie S View Post
    Well, a book doesn't need to be great literature to earn a lot of royalties.

But I agree that I'll probably read more from the book on FSU than I would ever want to pay for.
    !
    Great literature never makes any money. In fact, unless you're Nora Roberts, Charlaine Harris or Stephanie Twilightperson and sell millions and millions of copies, you don't make money on books. The author averages a dollar or less/per copy after all is said and done. Sometimes they get less than 50 cents/per copy sold. The few thousand skating fans who might buy won't pay the cost of printing. So, everybody get yours early. It'll be a first and only edition. In fact, if books don't sell a certain amount within a certain time, the publisher often demands them back and trashes the copies. I've never been certain exactly what the thinking on that is, but they do it.
    Those who never succeed themselves are always the first to tell you how.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Prancer View Post
    Natural charisma and charm, of course.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by kwanfan1818 View Post
    Once he accused the sponsors of discrimination, it was Game Over. That he didn't have the balls to stick with his story made him lose my respect.
    I think he didn't stick with the story because the story was untrue.

vCash

You mean then, or now? .......................

............. Once he accused the sponsors of discrimination, it was Game Over. That he didn't have the balls to stick with his story made him lose my respect.
    Thanks for the effort that went into your response.

There is one thing that scares me. What if somebody made up the "family friendly" comment out of thin air. Then Johnny heard it and shot an angry response at SOI. Then SOI shot an angry response at Johnny. Then back and forth a few times.

There is one rule I live by. I never comment on what someone tells me someone else said. It can only lead to trouble.

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by agalisgv View Post
    I think he didn't stick with the story because the story was untrue.
    Is there a link to where he acknowledges having said it in the first place, and then admits to being wrong and/or for his agent having started the fire that led to the petition? Does he apologize to his fan club for having led them astray? Or GLAAD?
    Last edited by kwanfan1818; 05-06-2010 at 12:51 AM.
    "The team doesn't get automatic capacity because management is mad" -- Greg Smith, agile guy

vCash
    I agree with those who have said Johnny needs a new agent as she seems to have planted the "family friendly" whatever; however, did Johnny know this and go along with it or was he an innocent here? Whatever happened, again, he exploited it for all it was worth and then started to get caught in his own sticky web of conflicting stories, and God only knows what the truth is. And his loyal and well meaning fans caught sucked up into the vortex.

What is really upsetting is that Johnny had (and possibly still has) such skating talent and he is walking down the enticing but dicey and dangerous road of being a fame craver and potentially ending up as another casualty like Heidi Montag, ever having to continually reach for something more outrageous to stay in the limelight. Johnny can be breathtaking on the ice when he puts his mind to it. Regardless of his past accomplishments and awards, he is treading a fine line of mediocrity. I don't want to see him ever end up on the list of "he had so much there but he threw it away" skaters. He is so much better than that.
    "Once you've skated together long enough, and you're really good friends, you can close your eyes, put your hand out and she's right there." Joe Dolkiewicz, 2011 US Novice Pairs Bronze Medalist

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Yazmeen View Post
    I agree with those who have said Johnny needs a new agent as she seems to have planted the "family friendly" whatever; however, did Johnny know this and go along with it or was he an innocent here? Whatever happened, again, he exploited it for all it was worth and then started to get caught in his own sticky web of conflicting stories, and God only knows what the truth is. And his loyal and well meaning fans caught sucked up into the vortex.
    Were he an innocent victim of his agent, when asked he could very well have answered that he wasn't privy to SOI's hiring practices, and he could have asked his fan club to pull the petition, while thanking them for their support. And then backed off.
    "The team doesn't get automatic capacity because management is mad" -- Greg Smith, agile guy

vCash
    Is there a link to where he acknowledges having said it in the first place, and then admits to being wrong and/or for his agent having started the fire that led to the petition? Does he apologize to his fan club for having led them astray? Or GLAAD?
    Nope!

He went with the story until his agent was quoted in a news story saying SOI only told them 'not this year'. After that, he didn't correct the story, but wouldn't say himself that he was kept from the tour because he wasn't 'family friendly.'

Well, that is until recently when he went back to the 'family friendly' meme now that it isn't in the headlines all the time. But basically team Johnny started the story, but when asked to go on the record, his agent changed it (likely because she was never actually told that in the first place). But Weir was fine with letting the story percolate as is without correction. And his agent appears to be fine with treating Weir's fans like chumps.

vCash
    Actually I remember the "not family friendly remarks" about Johnny and SOI being posted on the SOI board in the summer of 2009.

Bountifully Enmeshed
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by judiz View Post
    Actually I remember the "not family friendly remarks" about Johnny and SOI being posted on the SOI board in the summer of 2009.
    Posted by whom?
    "The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources."-- Albert Einstein.

Title-less
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by rfisher View Post
    Great literature never makes any money.
    Or they make money long after the author dies. (Like Shakespeare, Austen, etc.)

Quote Originally Posted by Rainbow View Post
    Maybe you`ll find out, when the book is out:

[...] says Weir. "I want to be very honest and frank about the politics of figure skating, the people and the behind-the-scenes dealings I've had. And [it's about] different relationships, whether it be a family member or someone I lost my virginity to," he adds with a laugh.

Link to full article:
    http://www.people.com/people/article...365915,00.html
    I bought a ticket to the world,
    but now I've come back again
    Why do I find it hard to write the next line?
    Oh I want the truth to be said

Huh huh huh hu-uh huh
    I know this much is true
    Huh huh huh hu-uh huh
    I know this much is true

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by judiz View Post
    Well, if you recall from the previous thread that BR linked to, that was the speculation as to where it all arose in the first place.

When Weir didn't tour with SOI last year, there was speculation on one of their forums as to why? One poster thought maybe it was because he wasn't 'family friendly' enough. And others seemed to agree. Fast forward, and someone over at the Angels website said Johnny's agent approached her and told her Weir wasn't invited to skate with SOI this year because he wasn't "family friendly". The Angel's poster then thought they should start a petition decrying this outrage, and apparently got approval for it from Tara Modlin (Weir's agent).

Weir spoke with CNN and others and repeated the accusation, but Modlin was strangely silent throughout it all. When she finally made a statement to the press, she changed the story.

So it may very well be Modlin got the idea of Weir being excluded from SOI because he wasn't "family friendly" from the SOI board.

Sad in any case

Title-less
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Polymer Bob View Post
    There is one rule I live by. I never comment on what someone tells me someone else said. It can only lead to trouble.
    Yeah. Tell you guys a story that happened in my family. Someone in my family (let's skip the who for now) heard about a conversation her child's therapist had with the child's school. That someone heard it third hand and wanted to check out what the therapist said. So she drove to the school, went into the classroom without an appointment and was asked to leave. Of course by then she thought the school had something to hide and yelled conspiracy. She told all her friends (who of course only heard her side of the story), filed a complaint with the school board, made a complaint to the state education agency and even wrote to the newspaper. All of a sudden the school looked like a giant evil to everyone with something to hide.

It all started with third-hand information about a conversation that person never heard herself.

vCash
    Hmmmm, guess that's sorted out. However, bottom line remains that Johnny isn't wanted, and has never been invited to tour with SOI either this year or any year, for whatever reason, whatever excuse. The fact he hasn't sticks out like a sore thumb, and that's why there's all the discussion, even on the SOI board where possibly according to comments in this thread, the "not family friendly" comment first appeared as speculated by a poster. Not the first time Johnny has been snubbed, criticized, and speculated about, and most certainly (unfortunately) not the last time either. He is a survivor and his talent can not be denied. No matter what mistakes he might make, or what anyone has to say about him, his humanity shines through, and that's one of the reasons why so many people are moved to care, and others moved to berate.

Fortunately, only love is real, and this recent Johnny exhibition, choreographed by him is real -- it shows the depth and breadth of his talent. He may be heartbroken, but he's a survivor. Yes, SOI, you don't need Johnny and Johnny doesn't need you. In the end, as usual, it's the fans who miss out. Thank God for youtube (and thanks to LifeSkate).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zd1Dk-NxfaM

vCash
    Fortunately, only love is real, and this recent Johnny exhibition, choreographed by him is real -- it shows the depth and breadth of his talent. He may be heartbroken, but he's a survivor. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zd1Dk-NxfaM
    I would say that most of all that progamme shows that Weir is good in borrowing from other skater´s programmes, LOL. That little number of his just was not original at all...

vCash
    I have no doubt that any SOI venue that included Johnny as a guest skater might show increased ticket sales from the Angels. The question is whether those "extra" sales would cover SOI's extra costs in including him - his payment, promotional costs over and above the normal, royalty fees for his music, etc. His pressence would have to sell a lot of tickets just to cover the added expenses of hiring him.

And that's without figuring in how many potential butts-in-seats would decline to buy tickets because they don't want to see him specifically.
    I'd rather be thought of as absolutely ridiculous than as absolutely boring.

AYS's snark-sponge
    vCash
    Fortunately, only love is real, ...
    So if only love is real, does that mean that Johnny is not real? Or does it mean that because Johnny is real, Johnny is love?
    Congratulations 2014 World Ice Dance Champions Anna Cappellini & Luca Lanotte!!!

vCash
    Johnny hates Evan, so he can't be love. So Johnny must be not real. He's a mass hallucination that we're all having simultaneously.
    Charter member of the "We Always Believed in Ashley" Club and the "We Believe in Ricky" Club
    Old, lonely, pathos-hungry, and extremely gullible

Page 12 of 17 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast