vCash

Unhappy Computer Experts: HELP!! Can't view any webpage content!

I'm having major issues with the IE browser on my home computer.

I was having issues last night viewing my Facebook profile (I know now that I wasn't the only one with that problem). Before I found out that it was a site problem, I had gone in and was messing around with my settings, because I thought it was on my end. I gave up on Facebook, went to my home page (my blog), wrote an entry, and then shut the computer down and went to bed.

This morning, I tried getting online, and I found out that I can't view any webpage content. My blog is nothing but a black screen (the background is black), and doesn't show any content, no entries, nothing. I tried going to Live Journal's home page, and all I get is logo bar across the top, my defauly user pic, and a white screen below. I've tried several message forums, including FSU, and it's the same story. Nothing! I tried several news sites, for the Times Union and NY Daily News newspapers, and I get ads, but not the "meat and potatoes" content.

I am also getting a message, something about "the web site is being displayed in Compatability View." I've never seen that before, on any computer. I'm using IE (I believe it's IE 7) on a Vista OS, if that helps.

I don't know what to do about this. The only thing I can think of is that, whatever settings I may have changed, may not have kicked in until my computer was booted up this morning, which would explain why I was able to see my blog last night and not this morning. I really didn't have time to really futz around with anything, so I just shut my computer down and said "to hell with it. I gotta get to work."

Obviously, I'm writing this from my work computer, because at the moment, I can't view any webpage content on my home computer.

If anyone can give me any advice or tips on how to solve this problem, I would greatly appreciate it. I'll be at work until 5:00, so I'll be checking in to see if anyone responds.

Shadow dancing
    vCash
    Try upgrading to Explorer 8 (google Explorer upgrade). The old versions are soon (if not already) incompatible with many websites. I'm on Windows XP and I also had to load in an XP patch before I could download Explorer. I don't know if Vista needs one.

I also have Firefox on my computer at work, but one of my commercial banking websites isn't compatible with that so I have to have Explorer. I was until I figured out about the XP patch, because I could not get the upgrade to Explorer to load.

vCash
    ^^^Yeah, I though about that (upgrade to IE8). 'Course, the question is... will I even be able to access the site from which I would download the upgrade?

This is just too wierd... how can these sites become incompatible with IE literally overnight?

Shadow dancing
    vCash
    I've been getting warnings from some websites for a few weeks now that they will no longer support lower versions.

Rejecting your reality and substituting my own
    vCash
    IE7 should still be okay. I mean, many people are still coding CSS hacks for the utter fail that is IE6 (like moi). And IE7 is just one version down from the current version, IE8. Software goes obsolete pretty fast, but I don't think they'd suddenly cut off the next newest version.

I still have IE6 on my home computer. (I usually use Firefox for browsing, but am keeping IE6 for CSS testing.) If you want, I can go check Livejournal when I get home and see if it shows up.

And even if it was browser incompatibility, SOME content should still show up. What IE6 often fails to do is render the CSS correctly, but the content still shows up. It's just ugly. And I don't think they'd make it completely black either. If anything, if you have an out-of-date software, the page will redirect and tell you that you need to update whatever software you have. That's just basic stuff.

Is it possible that you managed to change the firewalls on your home computer by accident?

vCash
    Try www.frogsonice.com -- Sandra's site is blessedly universal and seems to work just great on just about any browser. If that won't come up for you, then I doubt that it is an IE problem. Could you have possibly taken your computer into an off-line setting?

Is your system all plugged in correctly? Are all lights on routers, cable modems, or whatever you use to connect to the internet happily green and flashing when they should? Usually the internet provider you use has a help desk that can walk you through diagnostics to figure out why your internet connection isn't working.

vCash
    This thing is possessed. When I went home on my lunch break, I rebooted the system, and lo and behold, everything was just hunky dory, just like it had been before this morning. I have no clue what that was all about. But it's working fine now and, hopefully, it won't take another nosedive.

Thanks, everybody who posted!! (((HUGS)))

vCash
    Are you sure you're not using IE8? You may have accidentally clicked the Compatibility button next to the refresh button.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/956197

vCash
    No, I'm pretty sure it's IE 7. This computer is 2 years old, although I didn't take it online until last May, simply because I didn't have access to it in my apartment until I gave in and got RR.

aka IceSkate98
    vCash
    But if you got the message, "the web site is being displayed in Compatability View.", then that means you do have IE8 because "Compatibility View" is only in IE8. Click on "Tools" in the top bar and scroll down to see if it's showing "Compatibility View settings." If you see that, then you have IE8.
    Angie
    “I have not failed. I’ve just found 10,000 ways that won’t work.” ~ Thomas A. Edison