Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by skaternum View Post
    Three words: Bridal Industrial Complex
    Don't get me started on the Bridal Industrial Complex. It encourages many Americans to aspire to weddings that are "above their station" in life. I usually hate that term but it describes a particular type of behavior very well. The BIC also encourages both the participants and guests to view weddings as a theatrical event, rather than a celebration of a two people joining together in marriage.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Karina1974 View Post
    It's a lot longer than 3 hours. Albany to NYC alone is 3 hours, and Syracuse is a lot farther west from Albany, about another 100 miles or so (Albany being the point where you stop going east and start heading south).
    Hm. I figured since it takes about 6 hours from Buffalo to NYC (general arrival at the city, not factoring in exactly where you're going), and 3 hours from Buffalo to Syracuse ... When I drive to NYC, I start heading south at Syracuse and go through PA/NJ.

The point remains the same, though ... it's close enough to be easily driveable.

vCash
    Syracuse to NYC is about 4.5 to 5 hours. Unless you hit crazy traffic. At least the few times I've done it.

Rejecting your reality and substituting my own
    vCash
    So I just got back from my cousin's quickly-planned wedding in Baltimore. There was a lot of "frantic shouting" (as my sister put it) the entire weekend, mostly from my aunt who acted as wedding planner and all-around organizer. She's always been like that, but I have to wonder if she's really having fun being stressed out 24/7 trying to plan out everyone's actions. My cousin the groom's default expression this weekend when being ordered around by his mom was of bafflement. It was hilarious. It got to the point where he was making strangling gestures and the poor bride looked exhausted after being talked into wearing a heavy solid gold bracelet just so her new MIL could show it off during the reception. Image was a huge thing for the entire weekend, since apparently the bride's family in Taiwan are pretty rich and prominent, so she made a huge deal about mentioning all of said Taiwanese relatives in the reception speech even though it took like, 5 minutes. Because they were videotaping it and would send the DVD over there.

Since the couple are moving to Atlanta next month, almost all of the guests gave "red envelopes" (aka cash) as gifts, and they counted all the money the next day. And yes, my aunt totally judged people who didn't give a lot of money, because didn't they know how much the whole thing cost?

At this rate I don't think I'm ever getting married if my aunt's going to be in the picture. Maybe I might dare to elope and then satiate her need for a fancy affair with a nice dinner later.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456