Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    vCash
    I love this one the best.
    http://images.lifeskate.com/Johnny-W...n-ITNY/26.html

His shoulders ...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by HisWeirness View Post
    Here is the video of Johnny's performance of "Heartbroken" at the ITNY show last night (from Lifeskate):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zd1Dk-NxfaM
    Thanks for the clip!

Pretty, little number although not very original.... The arena is small which fits into Weir´s slow and powerless skating. It seemed to me that he did not use the ice coverage well, stayed in the center ice almost all the time. The costume was a pleasant surprise.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaana View Post
    Thanks for the clip!

Pretty, little number although not very original.... The arena is small which fits into Weir´s slow and powerless skating. It seemed to me that he did not use the ice coverage well, stayed in the center ice almost all the time. The costume was a pleasant surprise.
    I have to agree with it not being original enough. While lovely, they're all moves he's done before, and he's not pushing himself artistically. I think we were all just relieved to see this after the disaster that was the Bad Romance number.

As far as the lack of power, I don't think this was meant to be powerful but more fluid and subtle. I agree that he lacks power and speed in some of his competitive programs, but his style works here.

vCash
    Weir didn't use the ice much because the Ice is small and he doesn't know how to skate on the small surface yet. It takes a while to understand how to spread the elements out and work the space to fully utilizes it. He doesn't have great speed and that will hurt him on elements (but over all help) on the small surfaces until he has spent time training them to work on small ice.

Any way I think this was a lovely piece. I don't think it was choreographed-more like put together but it's the Johnny I love to watch.

vCash
    Imho, if he'd have this as a competitive program, he could easily win the judges favor with the artistry portrayed.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by tarotx View Post
    Weir didn't use the ice much because the Ice is small and he doesn't know how to skate on the small surface yet.
    The Chelsea Piers rink, where this show took place, is a full-sized ice surface.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by HisWeirness View Post
    Here is the video of Johnny's performance of "Heartbroken" at the ITNY show last night (from Lifeskate):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zd1Dk-NxfaM
    Thank you for posting this one.

Thanks for the clip!

I couldn't call this powerless and slow, considering the music piece he is using .It was very well interpreted and graciously done .
    Last edited by vivika1982; 05-02-2010 at 04:04 PM.

vCash
    The arena is small which fits into Weir´s slow and powerless skating. It seemed to me that he did not use the ice coverage well, stayed in the center ice almost all the time.
    Read some live reviews of it, bb.

vCash
    It's full size?? It looks tiny in the video...

on my couch awaitin' Figure Skating season
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by tarotx View Post
    It's full size?? It looks tiny in the video...
    I've been to many of the shows there. It is not full-sized. Most top tier skaters I've seen have trouble skating full-out there. The jumps take the biggest "hit" and usually are reduced to doubles. It has hockey-style barriers which I've never liked. I wish they could come down for exhibitions.

I've always felt that Johnny does have power esp. in his stroking and deep edges to get from one end of the rink to the other. I think his lack of freneticism that is so popular today makes him look like what he is doing is easy. It's not and most skaters can't do it. His stroking and power remind me alot of Brian Boitano's, though they have totally different personal styles.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jubak View Post
    I've been to many of the shows there. It is not full-sized. Most top tier skaters I've seen have trouble skating full-out there. The jumps take the biggest "hit" and usually are reduced to doubles. It has hockey-style barriers which I've never liked. I wish they could come down for exhibitions.
    OK, found the actual data. Per the announcement for last year's Mid-Atlantics

http://www.thescny.org/pdf/midsapp2009.pdf

the rink dimensions are 185'x85', which is a little shorter than "regulation" NHL-size (200x85), but the same size as (say) the Ice Castle rink and many other rinks where elite skaters train. I'm pretty sure that the Skating Club of Boston rink is even shorter than that, 183' or something like that. Any elite skater of Weir's caliber and seniority ought to be well-accustomed by now to adjusting to a rink that size, especially for a show program. And, FWIW, Weir's home rink in Wayne NJ has two NHL-sized surfaces, not a bigger Olympic-sized surface. And this is far from the first time Weir has skated at Chelsea Piers, too.

The hockey glass is up because they *do* play hockey there, pretty much constantly. After the show is over they typically have about 15 minutes to take down the drapes and clear out of the rink before the next hockey rental starts.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by dr.frog View Post
    The Chelsea Piers rink, where this show took place, is a full-sized ice surface.
    No it's not. It's short. Most rinks are reg. hockey. Some, if we're lucky are Olympic. Chelsea Piers is also a strange rink to practice on, because of the sky lights and the windows overlooking the water (and moving cruise ships). "Hockey" boards are not a bad thing. Most skaters train with them. When they are not there, the skaters have to find other visual perimeters to use. I have seen many a skater, skate right off the ice at SC of B and PSC&HS.
    Last edited by cruisin; 05-03-2010 at 12:39 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by cruisin View Post
    "Hockey" boards are not a bad thing. Most skaters train with them. When they are not there, the skaters have to find other visual perimeters to use. I have seen many a skater, skate right off the ice at SC of B and PSC&HS.
    "SC of B"?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Scob.jpg

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by dr.frog View Post
    You're right, don't know what I was thinking. I know that PSC&HS was designed from SCoB (or vice versa). I had it in my head there were no boards there. Now that I think of it, the mishaps there were board collisions. Sorry . But the skating off the ice at PSC&HS really did happen . Honest!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12