Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
    vCash

Samuelson & Bates move to Canton (threads merged)

http://www.usfigureskating.org/Story...554&type=media

Ice dancers Emily Samuelson & Evan Bates, the 2008 World Junior champions and 2010 U.S. bronze medalists, announced today they have ended their 10-year professional relationship with coaches Yuri Chesnichenko and Yaroslava Nechaeva at the Ann Arbor Ice Cube in Ann Arbor, Mich., and will train with Igor Shpilband and Marina Zoueva at the Arctic Edge in Canton, Mich.

Shpilband and Zoueva also coach 2010 Olympic ice dancing champions Tessa Virtue and Scott Moir of Canada and 2010 Olympic ice dancing silver medalists Meryl Davis & Charlie White. They previously mentored 2006 Olympic silver medalists Tanith Belbin & Ben Agosto.

vCash

Samuelson and Bates split from coaches

Just announced: here

Ice dancers Emily Samuelson & Evan Bates, the 2008 World Junior champions and 2010 U.S. bronze medalists, announced today they have ended their 10-year professional relationship with coaches Yuri Chesnichenko and Yaroslava Nechaeva at the Ann Arbor Ice Cube in Ann Arbor, Mich., and will train with Igor Shpilband and Marina Zoueva at the Arctic Edge in Canton, Mich.

AYS's snark-sponge
    vCash
    Um HELLO! This shows up as "Samuelson and Bates split" from the main page. Are you trying to kill me.

coaching change oh...
    Congratulations 2014 World Ice Dance Champions Anna Cappellini & Luca Lanotte!!!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueRidge View Post
    Um HELLO! This shows up as "Samuelson and Bates split" from the main page. Are you trying to kill me.

coaching change oh...
    ((((BR))))

AYS's snark-sponge
    vCash
    phew, much better thread title. lets keep this one
    Congratulations 2014 World Ice Dance Champions Anna Cappellini & Luca Lanotte!!!

Rejecting your reality and substituting my own
    vCash
    I KNOW!

vCash
    On the main page under last post topics, this thread comes up as "Samuelson and Bates split..." I was when I first saw it.

But the news of coaching change isn't all that great either. Why does everyone go to Shpilband and Zoueva? Do all the U.S. ice dancers love Michigan that much?

AYS's snark-sponge
    vCash
    Well they were already in Michigan, and aren't they UM students? I suppose they would want to stay in Michigan? So this makes sense from that point of view.

In the mountains, where hippies and hillbillies collide!
    vCash

Yeah...

At least their toe point and posture are too good for Zueva & Shpilband to destroy? I was hoping they would go to Krylova & Camerlengo

vCash

coaching change oh...
    Exactly! That title will make a lot of people upset...!

KWEEN 2016! YES WE KWAN!
    vCash
    And Evan's roommates (Charlie White, Alex Shibutani) already train with Shpilband/Zoueva. It's going to make for some interesting competition at Nats this coming year, with at least 4 top teams (Samuelson/Bates, Davis/White, Shibutani/Shibutani, Chock/Zuerlein) all in the Shpilband/Zoueva camp.

AYS's snark-sponge
    vCash
    I'd have had a HEART ATTACK seeing this title from the main page, but I had a head-ups about the coaching change so I realized it must be that. Or I'd be dead. But some other folks might not have that advantage. So maybe we can merge the two threads and keep the OTHER THREAD TITLE

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by UMBS Go Blue View Post
    And Evan's roommates (Charlie White, Alex Shibutani) already train with Shpilband/Zoueva. It's going to make for some interesting competition at Nats this coming year, with at least 4 top teams (Samuelson/Bates, Davis/White, Shibutani/Shibutani, Chock/Zuerlein) all in the Shpilband/Zoueva camp.
    Marina/Igor now have more or less a monopoly at Arctic Edge. I don't think it's actually good for ice dance in the US.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by dncrgrl View Post
    Exactly! That title will make a lot of people upset...!
    I'd have had a HEART ATTACK seeing this title from the main page, but I had a head-ups about the coaching change so I realized it must be that. Or I'd be dead. But some other folks might not have that advantage. So maybe we can merge the two threads and keep the OTHER THREAD TITLE
    SORRY. Yeesh. It's impossible to know how the thread title will show up on the main page.

In the mountains, where hippies and hillbillies collide!
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by reese View Post
    Marina/Igor now have more or less a monopoly at Arctic Edge. I don't think it's actually good for ice dance in the US.
    I think it's pretty awful, actually...

AYS's snark-sponge
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by chipso1 View Post
    SORRY. Yeesh. It's impossible to know how the thread title will show up on the main page.
    Its okay. I'm just being overly DRAMATIC just for the hell of it.

And I see lovely ADMIN has fixed the problem. Thank you lovely Adminny.

AYS's snark-sponge
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Taso View Post
    I think it's pretty awful, actually...
    Its really kind of distressing. We need more than one coaching team and top teams from different coaches. How did we end up like this?

vCash
    Yeahhhh! This coaching duo is my guilty pleasure, I love everything they do.

vCash
    i.e Zueva/Shpilband continue their ascent on world domination.

Nah, I guess it's good for them, although how much coaching time will they actually get?! As their 3rd team, I wonder how much Z/S will actually care about them? I dunno, maybe I'm being a little cynical. I hope at least they get more interesting programmes, because I thought what S/B put out this year was pretty dull.

vCash
    I had heard that S/B were having issues with their old coaches. Canton was the only real option because of school, but I wonder what will happen long term. Something is going to have to give. From their bios, it looks like Evan has one more year of college and Emily has two, so if they waited to move again until she graduates, they would only have a year-and-a-half with a new coach before the next Olympics.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast