Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    vCash

Smile High School Reunions- Yay or Nay?

Hey again. I just got the message that the planning will be underway for my 20 year class reunion. We're meeting next week. Just wondering what people think of those- do you go? Do you look forward to them, hate them, etc.?

I've always loved reunions. Our class is fairly small and pretty close, so I like to go, and I like to help plan.

What are some ideas for successful reunions some of you have had? Anything you've done at a reunion that has really bombed?

Thanks!

Skating Pairs with Drew
    vCash
    I hate them. I did go to my 10year college reunion, to see a couple of great people. I would not go to a high school reunion even if you paid me. And i went to high school here in Shaker Heights.

Duck Hunter
    vCash
    I didn't go to my 10 year.. I honestly don't think enough has changed after 10 years to warrant going to a reunion. Especially when most of the people I went to school with still live in town and I bump into them every once in a while. Might go to my 20 year in 5 years.. especially if I'm still together with my boyfriend (who I went to highschool with until he got suspended) because there will be a lot of "how the hell did you two end up together?" comments I'm sure, as we didn't exactly frequent the same groups in highschool

vCash
    Nay. All of my friends were not in my class. I graduated with the biggest group of preps, arrogant snots, and jerks... I don't plan on going to my 10 year, nor any after that. I'd rather go to the reunions for the graduating classes the year before and after me

vCash
    I went to my 10 year this past summer, and in general I hated it... but that's because I'm pretty anti-social and the idea of socializing makes me wanna hurl. I did catch up with the friends I had back then and that was nice. But overall, I could have done that without actually going to the reunion.

vCash
    I went to my 10-year reunion. That was 3 days before my son was born! LOL! I missed our 25-year reunion because it was in late June and I was up to my ears in exams and report cards. Haven't heard of any plans for the next one. I did enjoy seeing everyone at the 10-year reunion.
    Haunting the Princess of Pink since 20/07/11...

vCash
    I am going to my 20th in a few weeks... I can't wait!

Top Secret FSU Witness Protection Location
    vCash
    My 10 year is next year. Not sure if I will go or not. There are some people I would love to see so I might see who all is planning to attend and make my decision based on that. If not enough people are going then I will wait until my 20 year reunion when people have more to say than "I finished school and got a job at...." or "I am still in school trying to finish..." etc etc. 20 years from now we will all have a lot more to share, families, etc. With Facebook available I am friends with most of the people I graduated with and don't feel like there are many people I wonder about, I can check their Facebook page to see what they are up to.
    -Brian
    "Michelle would never be caught with sausage grease staining her Vera Wang." - rfisher

vCash
    Hellz no, that's what Facebook is for!
    "Marge, if you're going to get mad at me every time I do something stupid, then I guess I'm just going to have to stop doing stupid things!" - Homer Simpson in the Mr. Plow episode

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bobalina77 View Post
    I didn't go to my 10 year.. I honestly don't think enough has changed after 10 years to warrant going to a reunion.
    I didn't go to my 10 year HS reunion either, but I am going to my 10 year college reunion on June 12. They are honoring the Sister who is in charge of Campus Ministry, and she is someone who is a huge help and always has a shoulder for anyone who needs someone to talk to. They are also honoring the alumnus who was the Residence Director when I was attending the school, who I liked because he brooked no bull shit, and suffered no fools. I can remember there was a problem with people pulling the fire alarm for no reason - he threatened to keep us outside all night after we vacated the building the third time it happened. And it was 40-50F, and 2:00 AM.

If my class has a 20-year reunion in 2013 I'll probably go. I'm not that mousy blonde wallflower anymore. I've changed so much they won't recognize me when I walk in the door! It's funny that this topic comes up, because I've been over on Facebook and looking up people who I went to school with, and the old cliche is true... the ones who were elevated to "all that" status sure as hell don't look it anymore!

Dashing Between Bennetton and Krispy Kreme
    vCash
    Christy Masters, Lisa Luder and Cheryl Quick made my life a living hell in high school. Especially on hamburger day.

At my 10 year high school reunion, they humiliated me for claiming I had invented post - it notes.

vCash
    I haven't been to a reunion for school, never really wanted to go. I've been to reunions for other things and had a blast.
    HS reunions are expensive. We were suppose to have a 30 year in 06 and some how the person running it was charging 50.00 per person. It wasn't anything fancy. Most of the class wanted to get together at a picinc and the person ignored everyone. So out of 1000 people only 50 showed up.
    I agree I'd rather keep up with people on FB.

vCash
    I don't remember anything from high school.

vCash
    We are having our 50th year reunion (I am not that old but the school is lol). I am on the fence about it because a part of me wants to see some people again and another part of me is saying 'f' that!! I hated highschool. Almost all aspects of it. I am however, close to quite a few people and some very good friends of mine are going.

I better decide soon though, it is less than a month away and I need to lose 10 lbs. lmao!
    ~I am convinced that life is 10% what happens to me and 90% how I react to it.~ (Charles R. Swindoll)

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Fridge_Break View Post
    I graduated with the biggest group of preps, arrogant snots, and jerks...
    We must have gone to the same school. Even though I did the cheerleading thing I still found most in the school, well.... like how you just wrote!

Top Secret FSU Witness Protection Location
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by essence_of_soy View Post
    Christy Masters, Lisa Luder and Cheryl Quick made my life a living hell in high school. Especially on hamburger day.

At my 10 year high school reunion, they humiliated me for claiming I had invented post - it notes.
    Are you Romi or Michelle?!
    -Brian
    "Michelle would never be caught with sausage grease staining her Vera Wang." - rfisher

Celebrating Jeremy Abbott's FS at 2014 Worlds...
    vCash
    I used to hate the idea of going to my HS reunions,

Our class held a 5 year reunion I had no interest in attending, decided to go at the last minute, but was in a car accident that day so that didn't happen. For our 10th reunion, I was in my first trimester of pregnancy and was so ill from morning sickness (a misnomer if there ever was one as I was sick as a dog 24/7 for 5 months ), and I had pneumonia when my 20th took place.

Now that I've reconnected with some of my old friends via Facebook (and I guess turning into a nostalgic old fart ), I definitely plan to go to my *gulp* 30th when it rolls around in a few years. While there are certainly some people I couldn't care less about ever seeing again, there are several people I'd like to see just to see what everyone is now like and where their paths in life have taken them.

Now that I've realized that it's been that long, I'm in fifty million depressions . I'll also need to start my diet now so that I can go and not feel like I've become a middle-aged blob.

vCash
    I went to a formal Primary School reunion a couple of years ago which was really good. But Primary School is different to High School.

I don't know if a formal reunion has ever been organised for my high school, but they would probably have trouble tracking me down because I didn't keep in touch with anyone.
    When you are up to your arse in alligators it is difficult to remember you were only meant to be draining the swamp.

vCash
    Went to my 2oth a couple years ago and regretted pretty much every moment of it!

In the middle of a hair war with Alena Leonova.
    vCash
    Leading up to my high school 10th, I bounced back and forth. I wanted to see what freakish mundanity people were up to, fully in acceptance of my own pathetic quirks. Suddenly, a year before, I got really cynical and anti-social about it, and didn't want to go. An acquaintance I'm in touch with was a pregnant mom on the committee (and they asked me to hunt down the class president as I was the only one in touch with her!) and tried to get me to help out. It ended up being a super expensive tawdry affair ("$85 and you get two non-alcoholic drinks unless you iz vegetarian which is $75"). The web page was so hilariously ghetto and misspelled! And drinks the night before had a cover! I thought, "Why can't we just all bring our four kids and our guts to some dusty public park for a bad picnic?" I would have preferred that.

I don't regret not going, but I do have a friend (one of those types who still goes to our HS football games and remembers the first and last names of everyone in our class) on the inside who showed me the "memory book". Ahhhhh!

Wanna see?

Wow.

The friend actually said it was a quiet, low-key evening (prolly cuz hardly anybody attended), but what I appreciated is that he said those who wanted to be there were there, and those who didn't weren't. And the organizing committee member bothering me to go? Not there.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast