Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    vCash
    Of these examples - which ones actually caused jealousy and/or rift between the cast members due to this shift in attention/popularity?

vCash
    Can we count Jennifer Aniston's hair during the first two seasons of Friends? I have not seen a salon rush like that since Farrah and our Dorothy in the 70's and Princess Diana in the 80's.

Prick Admin
    vCash
    Betty in Ugly Betty by Wilhelmina Slater, Marc & Amanda, Justin & Hilda, etc.
    To think that fun is simple fun, while earnest things are earnest, proves all too plain that neither one thou truthfully discernest.

Top Secret FSU Witness Protection Location
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by allezfred View Post
    Betty in Ugly Betty by Wilhelmina Slater, Marc & Amanda, Justin & Hilda, etc.
    No way! I loved those characters but the show was always focused on Betty. Amanda was my favorite, though! I wish she could get her own spin off.

I definitely agree about Karen on Will and Grace. She ended up getting so much screen time and all the good lines.
    -Brian
    "Michelle would never be caught with sausage grease staining her Vera Wang." - rfisher

Prick Admin
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BigB08822 View Post
    No way! I loved those characters but the show was always focused on Betty.
    Maybe that's why it's being cancelled. Betty was always such a boring, goodie twoshoes.

Anyway, I still maintain that while she may have been the focus of the show she was constantly being upstaged by just about everybody else on the cast.
    To think that fun is simple fun, while earnest things are earnest, proves all too plain that neither one thou truthfully discernest.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ilovesalchows View Post
    Jason Batemen on Silver Spoons was hotter than Ricky Schroeder. Of course, I was like 7 or 8 at the time and they were some serious studs. consuming my world.
    I was about 11 when the show started and I always thought Jason Bateman was so much cuter than Ricky "the Ricker" Shroeder. I was also an avid viewer of Jason's short lived 'It's Your Move' sitcom post Silver Spoons.
    "In no way do I think I stopped commanding a spotlight. I think I travel with one." -- Johnny Weir

Top Secret FSU Witness Protection Location
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by allezfred View Post
    Maybe that's why it's being cancelled. Betty was always such a boring, goodie twoshoes.
    Possibly but I still think the show was doomed when they began moving it around and eventually put it on Friday nights. No show EVER survives Friday nights on the major networks. I think they moved it way too quickly, if they had left it where it was it could have seen a rise in ratings because this season was the very best of all. Oh well, I will miss this show so much.
    -Brian
    "Michelle would never be caught with sausage grease staining her Vera Wang." - rfisher

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Seerek View Post
    Of these examples - which ones actually caused jealousy and/or rift between the cast members due to this shift in attention/popularity?
    Both the shows mentioned with Cybill Shepherd. She particularly hated being upstaged by Bruce Willis in Moonlighting and when it happened again on Cybill, there was a lot of acrimony between her and Baranski.

My apologies if it was mentioned, but the most obvious current examples of character who has overshadowed the originally intended leads are Barney on How I Met Your Mother and Sheldon on Big Bang Theory. (Depending on what happens with the direction that Glee takes next year, I wouldn't be surprised to see Kurt begin to overshadow Cory and Rachel, plus there is Sue.)

In dramas, I would toss out as breakout characters Eric on TrueBlood and Ben and Desmond on Lost, but I don't think they upstage the main cast, since the shows are ensembles to begin with.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Veronika View Post
    For better or worse: Urkel!

Wikipedia has quite a list of these, they call them breakout characters: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Breakout_character
    Interesting lists. I had no idea Opus started out in such a small way in the Bloom County strip!
    Charter member of the "We Always Believed in Ashley" Club and the "We Believe in Ricky" Club
    Old, lonely, pathos-hungry, and extremely gullible

Thunder & Lightning!!!
    vCash
    Going back a ways, Danny Bonaduce upstaged David Cassidy on the Partridge Family quite often.
    Peace & Love, Gypsy
    Even a man who is pure in heart and says his prayers by night, may become a wolf when the wolfbane blooms and the autumn moon is bright.

vCash
    Chuck on Gossip Girl. It's gotten to the point where all anyone cares about is whether he and Blair are going to get back together.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MOIJTO View Post

ER---George Clooney
    I disagree. ER was an ensemble show without any title character. Clooney's character was always featured from Day 1, along with Noah Wylie, Anthony Edwards, Eric LaSalle, etc. His post-ER career has been more successful than his co-stars, but he technically wasn't a supporting character on ER.

My classic example would be "Karen" and "Jack". Considering the show was called "Will and Grace", the Karen and Jack supporting characters quickly asserted themselves.

There's another one I'm thinking of but can't remember the name of the show or characters. Was in the 1980's. It was about an African American family. It had some kind of street name in the title IIRC (Something "321"?). They seemed to always be on their stoop. The supporting character was Jacquee (I don't know how she spelled it). She overpowered the main characters so much that the "leads" eventually left and they renamed the show to feature Jacquee. Anyone know which show I'm talking about?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by soxxy View Post
    Good ones, I was only thinking comedy. In that case, Heather Locklear on the old Melrose Place. Was she even on the first season? (For that matter, was Joan Collins the first season of Dynasty?)
    Locklear was added halfway through the first season of Melrose and Collins the first episode of the second season.

Quote Originally Posted by Bostonfan View Post
    I

There's another one I'm thinking of but can't remember the name of the show or characters. Was in the 1980's. It was about an African American family. It had some kind of street name in the title IIRC (Something "321"?). They seemed to always be on their stoop. The supporting character was Jacquee (I don't know how she spelled it). She overpowered the main characters so much that the "leads" eventually left and they renamed the show to feature Jacquee. Anyone know which show I'm talking about?
    227! That is a good example.

drinky typo pbp, closet hugger
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Seerek View Post
    Didn't Rob Lowe leave The West Wing because he was supposed to be the main character when it began and he felt other characters were getting more/better storylines after the first season? I think Lowe's decision to leave Brothers & Sisters is also in part because he didn't think his character was going anywhere, although he was never intended to be a main character there...

Another West Wing tidbit - I believe that Martin Sheen was not originally intended to be a major presence on that show, but audience response was big so they increased the role of the President.
    Q: Why can't I read the competition threads?
    A: Competition forums on the board are available to those with a Season Pass or a premium membership How to View Kiss & Cry

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Yehudi View Post
    Chuck on Gossip Girl. It's gotten to the point where all anyone cares about is whether he and Blair are going to get back together.
    Seriously. I know Meester and Lively are technically co-leads, but seriously, that show would not live without Chuck and Blair. They're the heart of it. They're certainly the only characters I care about.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by genevieve View Post
    Another West Wing tidbit - I believe that Martin Sheen was not originally intended to be a major presence on that show, but audience response was big so they increased the role of the President.
    That's correct. I'm a diehard West Winger (I have every season on DVD). Originally Sorkin intended to show life behind the scenes of the White House by focusing on the core team that surrounds the president, but not feature the president as a main character. This is evident from the pilot episode where the President comes into the episode in the last 10 minutes of the show. However they quickly realized that they couldn't make it work, and Sheen was agreeable (if not eager) to expand his role. Lowe was originally sold on the idea that his character would play more of a prominent role. He sucked it up and stayed for 4 seasons before moving on.

If you ever listen to the DVD commentary on the Christmas episode from Season 2 (Noel), they tell a story about how a sub-plot heavily featured Lowe's character, but it had to be cut due to time and he was pretty upset by it but took one for the team.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Kukucachoo View Post
    Can we count Jennifer Aniston's hair during the first two seasons of Friends? I have not seen a salon rush like that since Farrah and our Dorothy in the 70's and Princess Diana in the 80's.
    I think Aniston quickly started to outshine Courtney Cox, who, I believe, was the star going into the series. Cox was the ones with the name coming off of Family Ties. They seemed to have worked it out and formed more of an ensemble cast which, IMHO, made the show stronger.
    A good rant is cathartic. Ranting is what keeps me sane. They always come from a different place. Take the prime minister, for example. Sometimes when I rant about him, I am angry; other times, I am just severely annoyed - it's an important distinction. - Rick Mercer

vCash
    A Different World was supposed to be centered around Lisa Bonet's "Denise", who had the love interest (Dwayne Wayne) and everything, but came to be centered around Jasmine Guy's character instead.

Re: Jason Bateman, I STILL think he's to die for!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Bostonfan View Post
    Did Marla Gibbs actually leave 227?

It does say this in Wiki

By the time production on the fourth season commenced in 1988, tension between stars Gibbs and Jackée were mounting due to the show's increasing focus on the Sandra character. To keep the stars happy, Jackée was given the chance to spin off Sandra into her own show. Jackée's television pilot, entitled Jackée, found Sandra moving to New York City and finding work at a spa. NBC aired the episode in primetime on May 11, 1989. The pilot was rejected, and Jackée returned to 227 appearing only sporadically.
    So Marla must have not been happy, but I don't think she officially left.

It says that Jackee actually went on the win an Emmy for that role too.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Bev Johnston View Post
    Re: Jason Bateman, I STILL think he's to die for!
    The man has perfect comedic timing, and he's both sexy and approachable. A Greg Kinnear for a smarter audience.

Speaking of Jason in terms of the subject matter, his "Arrested Development" was the perfect show. Everyone upstaged everyone, multiple times within the same 21 minutes of an episode. Bateman, the lead, never faded into the background despite being the ONLY "normal"/button-down character on the show. Incredible accomplishment by Jason and the writers.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast