Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Celebrating Jeremy Abbott's FS at 2014 Worlds...
    vCash
    Not sure if this one counts, but That 70's Show was originally supposed to be about the parents, and it ended up being completely about the kids (and of course, Red Forman calling everyone a Dumbass ).

Another one that comes to mind is Suzanne Somers on Three's Company - her role as Chrissy pretty much stole the show, and after she left, none of the replacement roommates ever compared to her.
    "Meryl is from a magic planet where Disney princesses come from, and [Charlie's] hair is a magic carpet." ~~ Stephen Colbert, on The Colbert Report

vCash
    Speaking of Jason Bateman, how can anyone forget Valerie/Hogan Family. The title character was actually written out of the show after a dispute with the producers.

vCash
    fishy, I dunno re: DHP/Nile upstaging Kelsey/Frasier on 'Frasier'. Both characters shone [shined?] most during scenes with each other, or the two of them with their Dad. Many episodes they were pretty much co-leads, thanks to Grammer, who was famously generous in letting his costars steal scenes during the run of the series. (Anyway, those gazillions of dollars probably also help ease KG's prospective discomfort of being upstaged go down easy.)

I call it a draw.

Now, Eddie ... he upstaged the other actors constantly! Literally chewed the scenery.

Uncle Dick's Beyotch!
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Seerek View Post

So Marla must have not been happy, but I don't think she officially left.

It says that Jackee actually went on the win an Emmy for that role too.
    I remembered incorrectly then. I don't remember much about that show other than Jackee. The irony of 227 is that Marla Gibbs often stole scenes in "The Jeffersons". Her popularity on that show is what led to the network giving her her own show. Then she ends up being upstaged by a supporting player.

A Different World was supposed to be a vehicle for Lisa Bonet. But I seem to recall that her exit had less to do with the popularity of the Whitney character than Bonet herself. She never seemed invested in the show and left to go find herself (and Lenny Kravitz). But had Bonet been interested in staying, I suspect she would have continued with Jasmine playing a popular co-star. She was Bonet's foil. Without Bonet, they had to quickly scramble to make the Whitney character less of a complete caricature and a little more grounded.

drinky typo pbp, closet hugger
    vCash
    The character was called WhitLey, not Whitney. I don't know why I know that, I rarely watched the show, but the oddness of the name must have stuck with me

I loved the show Valerie, too bad it didn't work out with Valerie Harper but Jason Bateman made it work and I stayed with it through its incarnations as Valerie's Family and then The Hogan Family (didn't Cloris Leachman come in at that point?).
    Q: Why can't I read the competition threads?
    A: Competition forums on the board are available to those with a Season Pass or a premium membership How to View Kiss & Cry

vCash
    "The Good Wife" - stars Julianne Margolis (who is wonderful) but Kalinda (Archie Panjabi) is REALLY GREAT. Love her!
    DH - and that's just my opinion

vCash
    I would agree that Kalinda is definitely a breakout character. The rest of the cast is strong enough that she doesn't exactly upstage the stars or the main focus, but she is definitely one of the reasons this show is so much more than a typical CBS procedural.
    A: Competition forums on the board are available to those with a Season Pass or a premium membership How to View Kiss & Cry

vCash
    From the classic Britcom, Are You Being Served, John Inman and Molly Sugden (Mr. Humphries and Mrs. Slocombe) both stole the show from Trevor Bannister (Mr. Lucas), for whom the show was originally designed to spotlight (or so I once read -- not sure how his character could ever have been thought to hold a candle to those other two).

Satisfied skating fan
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Beefcake View Post
    fishy, I dunno re: DHP/Nile upstaging Kelsey/Frasier on 'Frasier'. Both characters shone [shined?] most during scenes with each other, or the two of them with their Dad. Many episodes they were pretty much co-leads, thanks to Grammer, who was famously generous in letting his costars steal scenes during the run of the series. (Anyway, those gazillions of dollars probably also help ease KG's prospective discomfort of being upstaged go down easy.)

I call it a draw.

Now, Eddie ... he upstaged the other actors constantly! Literally chewed the scenery.
    ITA re Eddie. That was a great dog! I actually feel sorry for Grammer. His two attempts at comedy since have bombed big time. His latest didn't even last 5 episodes.
    Adelina Sotnikova defeated the curse of Esta She is indeed the Greatest Of All Time!

vCash
    Wasn't there tension between SJP and Kim Cattrall when Samantha started becoming a popular character on Sex and the City? I didn't like either character that much anyway.

I agree about Karen and Jack, although Grace (and sometimes Will) were really funny in the earlier seasons as well.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MOIJTO View Post
    ER---George Clooney

Quote Originally Posted by allezfred View Post
    Betty in Ugly Betty by Wilhelmina Slater, Marc & Amanda, Justin & Hilda, etc.
    Couldn't agree more!

Fetalized since 1998
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by genevieve View Post
    The character was called WhitLey, not Whitney. I don't know why I know that, I rarely watched the show, but the oddness of the name must have stuck with me

I loved the show Valerie, too bad it didn't work out with Valerie Harper but Jason Bateman made it work and I stayed with it through its incarnations as Valerie's Family and then The Hogan Family (didn't Cloris Leachman come in at that point?).
    I remember that Sandy Duncan came on the show..as the aunt, right?

vCash
    You're right, it was Sandy Duncan, not Cloris Leachman. And I'd forgotten that the show switched from ABC to CBS in its last season.

aspiring tri-national
    vCash
    OK, time for oldies:

Mr. Spock was a breakout character in the original Star Trek. He became far more popular than Kirk, which given Shatner's ego must have been interesting.

Man from UNCLE -- Ilya Kuryokin (actor's name?) became the sex symbol, not the lead, whose name I forget because I really was young when this was on.

Certain characters might only have been on for a story arc but they really dominated. For some reason I'm remembering Miles Drentell, the evil ad agency boss in thirtysomething. He just ate the whole show when he was on.
    "Youth and vigor is no match for age and deceit." -- Prancer

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PRlady View Post
    OK, time for oldies:

Mr. Spock was a breakout character in the original Star Trek. He became far more popular than Kirk, which given Shatner's ego must have been interesting.
    Spock! Kirk squicked me out.
    Man from UNCLE -- Ilya Kuryokin (actor's name?) became the sex symbol, not the lead, whose name I forget because I really was young when this was on.
    I think the lead character's name was Napoleon Solo -- and was played by Robert Vaughn. Ilya Kuryakin (sp.?) was played by David McCallum -- my sister had a big crush on him, I recall. How do I remember these names?!? Must be from reruns. I know that I preferred The Avengers and The Prisoner -- I don't think they ran concurrently, though.

Celebrating Jeremy Abbott's FS at 2014 Worlds...
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PRlady View Post
    David McCallum, who now portrays Dr. Mallard (Duckie), the Forensics/M.E. guru on NCIS - he was quite the when he was on Man from U.N.C.L.E. - for a guy in his 60's he's still looking pretty good .

(I have no idea who the actual star on MFU was - I only remember - from reruns - Ilya as he was um, a rather nice piece of eye candy.
    "Meryl is from a magic planet where Disney princesses come from, and [Charlie's] hair is a magic carpet." ~~ Stephen Colbert, on The Colbert Report

Banned Member
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Gypsy View Post
    Going back a ways, Danny Bonaduce upstaged David Cassidy on the Partridge Family quite often.
    NO NO he didn't, he didn't have the recording career and the groopie girls like David he had the sloppy seconds!
    Without fear you cannot find courage

Re-registered User
    vCash
    When I read the title, I thought maybe it had been inspired by my post yesterday, after I finished watching Dollhouse. Since it wasn't watched by a huge audience, a lot of people missed his performance, but it is clear from reading what fans of the show have to say. The whole cast was good, or great, but Enver Gjokaj is probably one of the best young actors I've ever seen.

Family Ties and Michael J. Fox is what came to my mind too.
    ‎"You emerge victorious from the maze you've been travelling in." Oct 21,2012- Best Fortune Cookie Ever!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by rjblue View Post
    When I read the title, I thought maybe it had been inspired by my post yesterday, after I finished watching Dollhouse. Since it wasn't watched by a huge audience, a lot of people missed his performance, but it is clear from reading what fans of the show have to say. The whole cast was good, or great, but Enver Gjokaj is probably one of the best young actors I've ever seen.
    I'm partial to Fran Whatshisname myself -- the guy who played Topher -- though they were all good. I just recently saw the episode where Victor was imprinted as Topher, and oh man, I was nearly in hysterics every time the two of them did a scene together.
    Charter member of the "We Always Believed in Ashley" Club and the "We Believe in Ricky" Club

vCash
    Has J.J. from "Good Times" been mentioned yet? I think his "Dyno-MITE!" schtick took on a life of its own (although in a rather way), and the actors playing the parents weren't happy about it.

Also, the TV show "Webster" was originally supposed to focus on the parents (and it wasn't supposed to be called Webster either), but Emmanuel Lewis stole the show, and his "parents" weren't happy about that either!
    "Marge, if you're going to get mad at me every time I do something stupid, then I guess I'm just going to have to stop doing stupid things!" - Homer Simpson in the Mr. Plow episode

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast