vCash

anyone use Virgin Mobile?

I need a new phone and I was thinking of switching to Virgin Mobile because they are the cheapest rate. Does anyone use them and what is the quality of their service like?
    “Love all, trust a few, do wrong to none.” William Shakespeare

Bountifully Enmeshed
    vCash
    If you use a phone a lot, I wouldn't get Virgin. If you use it every now and then, Virgin can be a good deal.

My husband had Virgin Mobile for many years, as he doesn't have much use for a cell phone. I topped his phone up when it was due; never had any problems there. We did have one big mess when I bought a new phone for him from eBay and it turned out to be a stolen phone, but once we got past them wanting to have me (as buyer) charged with theft, we got that worked out okay and I can't complain about what they did about it at all.

A lot of service is automated and it all works well, but the service is clearly geared to teenagers and sometimes the "We're the coooooooool cell phone service" approach gets pretty tiresome

The service piggybacks on Sprint, so if Sprint is good in your area, you will get about the same service. Locally, we never had any problems with his service; when we traveled, however, we often used my Verizon phone instead of his Virgin phone because he couldn't get a signal in some of the more remote places we traveled.

The phones are CRAP; they are cheap for a reason. Read reviews before you buy one.

For my husband, who made maybe three or four calls a month on his cell phone, a contract plan was a waste of money and Virgin got the job done well enough. But someone who uses a phone a lot would be very unhappy, I would think.
    Trolling dates all the way back to 397 B.C. - People began following Plato around and would make fart noises after everything he said.

Re-registered User
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Prancer View Post
    The phones are CRAP; they are cheap for a reason. Read reviews before you buy one.
    I bought my daughter one for Christmas - an LG Rumor.

We did some shopping around, and were told by quite a few salespeople that the LG Rumor had a number of faults, and that we should pay a bit extra and get an LG Rumour 2.

The people at the Virgin store told us that their phone was a Rumor 2, and gave us a great spiel about getting loaner phones if there was any kind of warranty issue, blah blah blah.

It was Christmas shopping, and I was tired, and didn't read the fine print.

The phone was the faulty LG Rumor, not the one with the improvements.

The store that we bought it from could not replace the phone, because they were not longer stocking it (4 weeks after purchase).

The Virgin help line said they would send us out a mailing package, and we could send the phone to them, and at some mythical point in the future, we might get the phone back.

So my daughter just kept her crappy phone which shuts down at random moments and has several faulty keys.

Read the fine print.

Positives-Their pay-as-you-go is cheap if all you want to do is text, and topping up your minutes is easy and seeing your bill/plan online is convenient.
    ‎"You emerge victorious from the maze you've been travelling in." Oct 21,2012- Best Fortune Cookie Ever!

vCash
    Argh.... Then Virgin Mobile is not for me because I need my phone for my job. I have been with Rogers for over 10 years and have had no real problems with either my phone or service. Now my contract is over and the phone after 3 years is a little wonky at times. Maybe I will stick with Rogers or Bell.
    “Love all, trust a few, do wrong to none.” William Shakespeare

vCash
    I hate Bell!!! !!! !! They charge me extra charges for a turbo stick for my computer when I didn't use it and I call them about that, they tell me well u had an opportunity to use it, you didn't, so we won't charge you for usage since u used none of it, but will charge u for extra charges. And I BOUGHT OUT the initial contract...so it's MINE and they still charge me extra for holding it.!! These extra charges amounted to about $200!!

vCash
    There are cell phone message board forums at http://www.howardchui.com/
    Go to forums and scroll down to find forums on the Canadian Carriers. Pay special attention to the loyalty and retentions thread. If you've been with Rogers for a while they should not want to lose your business and may offer you some extra's or free features if you are considering canceling your contract.

I managed to get free caller id, incoming text and 250 outgoing text, and unlimited web browsing from Telus when I renewed my last contract.

vCash
    Like other people have said, it really, really depends on how much you use the phone. If you only make a few calls per week and rarely text message, pay-as-you go could be a good option for you. However, I'd research other similar plans (I think that T-Mobile has one as well) before you go ahead with Virgin. I've never met someone who had great things to say about Virgin phones (not to mention that if you go for one of the nice ones, they're really expensive because you don't get the discounts that other companies often give you when you buy a new plan), either.

vCash
    In Canada, Virgin is owned by Bell, Rogers owns Fido & Koodo is owned by Telus so it's nearly impossible to get away from the Big 3 (though WIND mobile has just launched in Canada).

I've been using Virgin (as well as an LG Rumour) for a year & a half with no problems at all. The thing I like most about Virgin is that when you call customer service, you get a person right away. Granted that person is uber-perky & they definitely gear all their marketing to younger people, but I can live with that. I had Bell before that & while the actual cell phone service was fine, the customer service was abysmal!

Banned Member
    vCash
    The name alone tells you to stay away!

Go with the whores in the business, Verizon, they are the best, but you pay the most for service but its worth every dime.

Now if you don't need a phone for much more than a few calls than pay as you go is better!
    Without fear you cannot find courage

In the middle of a hair war with Alena Leonova.
    vCash
    Do you have Ghettro PCS in your area? They're the cheapest for unlimited, but their phones are so obscure!