Page 17 of 20 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Aceon6 View Post
    This 3. The show is Dancing with the STARS, not Dancing with the 15-minutes of Fame.
    How many contestants from the past 9 seasons and the current one can really be classified as "star"?

gold dust woman
    vCash
    Hidden gems of this week: http://popwatch.ew.com/2010/04/27/dw...ems-of-week-6/

EW's recaps are really good.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by orbitz View Post
    How many contestants from the past 9 seasons and the current one can really be classified as "star"?
    A while ago I heard a comedian on a radio show asked if she would consider being a contestant on DWTS. She made a keen observation: which stars have become more successful as a result of being on the show? Seems like something to consider doing only when your career is on the wane.

Kimmel to Jake Pavelka last night: "was it hard for you to be on a reality show with a woman you were not sleeping with?"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IF-p_vL0vIU

vCash
    Shoo! Apollo is a star in my eyes. Gilles Marini is definitely a star in many people's eyes.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PRlady View Post
    It's one thing if they win a real competition, American Idol and some others qualify...
    Good point! I'd love to see some contestants from RuPaul Drag Race to be on dancing with the stars. Those lady boys have the Charisma, Uniqueness, Nerve, and Talent to kick some serious b*tt. They're fierce competitors! Can you imagine Demetri dancing with Nina Flower? OMG!

vCash
    First of all, I have to say I did the happy dance when Pam was told she was safe! And was very happy that I didn't have to wait that long to learn the same about Maks ... I mean Erin. I really wasn't worried about Evan being in the bottom two, but wished that it had been Chad instead of Niecy, but at least she survived to dance another week. So for Pam, Erin, Evan, and Niecy! My impossible dream would be for these four to remain the longest, but I know that the judges will make sure that Miss Pussycat will outlast at least a couple of them.

Quote Originally Posted by danceronice View Post
    I didn't find Jake particularly annoying, at least not any more so than Chad. (And to me Jake was better-looking.) But of those left, it was time for him or Chad to go.
    When they announced that Jake was the one leaving, half of my "druthers" had been granted -- and if Chad is the next to go, then my druthers would be completely fulfilled. Those two were definitely the lowest on my list, both in terms of dance ability and likability.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob View Post
    Did you watch Bachelorette and Bachelor with Jake? He gets more annoying over time. But so does Chad.
    I don't watch any reality shows (except for occasional 5-10 minute hits of Extreme Makeover: Home Edition and Super Nanny), so it seems I've been spared. I think perhaps Jake and Chad's annoying factor seemed more evident once Kate was no longer around.
    I guess it would depend on how one defines "star". But although I would only consider a few of them as "big stars" in their fields (mostly past their days of peak stardom), I'd say that about 50% of the contestants could be considered as a "star" of some sort. The rest have been "celebrities" of some degree -- though most of the reality show contestants have been "stars" from a universe completely unknown to me.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by luenatic View Post
    Shoo! Apollo is a star in my eyes. Gilles Marini is definitely a star in many people's eyes.
    Ok, so that makes 2?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by LuckyCharm View Post
    Ok, so that makes 2?
    Well, Kristi definitely would push it to at least three.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by LuckyCharm View Post
    Ok, so that makes 2?
    I didn't list all the soap stars like Susan Lucci, Cameron Mathison, etc. What about international movie stars like Jane Seymour? Cloris Leachman is an Oscar winner for goodness sake.

Granted, they may not be the hottest Hollywood stars at the moment. They will be stars forever even if they quit show business now.

It's either a very big ice rink, or there's a lake under there.
    vCash
    That's why I've watched it exactly four seasons/ parts of seasons - for Olympians I like, who are stars to me. (Inc. Kristi, Natalie, Shawn.) Some of the other athletes (football players) would be considered big stars to other people.

I was thinking recently how great it'd be if they really could get bigger-name actors (or musicians or whatever) to do the show between other gigs. Would love to see A- or HighB-list TV or film actors trying this. But potential embarrassment aside, the quoted fees probably aren't actually high enough for someone who's making "real" TV or film money.

aspiring tri-national
    vCash
    For athletes whose visibility is pretty limited to fans of their sport, DTWS is a great opportunity to find a broader audience, which can translate into higher-paid endorsements. For reality stars, yes, a sixteenth minute of fame. For unknown actors on the way up, like Gilles, a good showcase.

But for the already-arrived? Nope. Too many chances to make a fool of yourself, lose to a nobody or be less likable on live TV than you are in a carefully staged press or photo op.
    "Youth and vigor is no match for age and deceit." -- Prancer

vCash
    I didn't list all the soap stars like Susan Lucci, Cameron Mathison, etc. What about international movie stars like Jane Seymour? Cloris Leachman is an Oscar winner for goodness sake.

Granted, they may not be the hottest Hollywood stars at the moment. They will be stars forever even if they quit show business now.
    I know. I was just teasing you. Your post was pretty funny in that context.

We haven't even mentioned the several hall-of-fame caliber football players that have appeared, nor the many successful recording artists. The show has certainly had plenty of legitimate "stars" over the years.

Beach Bum
    vCash
    If star means a household name (even if just for a particular generation), I think there have been quite a few of those even if they were past their pinnacle when they went on the show - like the Osmonds, Wayne Newton, maybe Jerry Springer and Pam Anderson, for example. Others were once at the top of their field so they'd be stars in the field even if not a household name -- Like the Woz, the OGMs, Monica Seles, Oscar winners, Superbowl winners, etc.

And then there is the who the heck is Albert Reed or Stacy Keibler category.
    I think I will have a snack and take a nap before I eat and go to sleep.

vCash
    [QUOTE=luenatic;2745883]
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparks View Post
    I admit, I threw Neicy 1 vote.
    /QUOTE]

So you're not totally eville. Thank Goodness. Next week give Niecy 2 votes please. I'd throw you an air kiss if you throw in 3 votes.
    No, not TOTALLY eville. I gave Neicy votes in the past.
    I receive your air kisses with gratitude.

vCash
    re: Jake and no respect from many, I can only state my objections. First, anyone who ho's themselves on the bachelor or bachelorette is ick. All the hot tub scenes, all the leadng people on, the scam of true love on a reality show, ick, ick, ick (and those are only the activities shown in the minutes of commericals - I do not watch it). Add that to the stumbling moves and the "me, me, me" attitude. And finally what mpal said.

vCash
    Jake also bothered me when he treated his Pro badly at the beginning.

vCash
    I think that Pam Anderson will get a career boost out of this even if she leaves in a couple of weeks. I wouldn't be surprised to see her cast on a sitcom. She's really improved her likeability factor.

It's either a very big ice rink, or there's a lake under there.
    vCash

Oh jeez, I forgot all these others had been on the show. [I was going to mention the Osmonds being big stars to some. ]

And Monica Seles, yes - I watched it for all the five minutes that she was on.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TalentedButHumble View Post
    Fame and success with no talent is so offensive to anyone who's actually toiled in the arts and entertainment.

Plus I've always been turned off by the type of ultra-narcissistic personality that people on reality shows must possess, have to possess to even want to do that.
    Are we twins?

The attitudes of people who've achieved fame and success with no talent is offensive to anyone who's actually toiled at anything. At least it's offensive to me. Every time I see Kate Gosselin on the cover of People magazine I feel ill. She acts like she's the biggest star in the world and she has zero degree of humility because she buys totally into her own hype.

We all know the vast majority of people on Dancing with the Stars aren't currently A listers. The show is a lot of work, and people currently fully occupied in the entertainment industry generally don't want to do that degree of work. So it's more appealing to those trying to either establish or revive their stars.

The current move to more and more reality stars in the cast -- Kate Gosselin and the most recent Bachelor on the same season -- is a little disturbing. Perceived as people whose stars are high now. Give me every former 90210-er, a snow boarder, a figure skater, a sitcom queen from the 90s, etc. These are people who know how to entertain and are grateful for the work.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by barbk View Post
    I think that Pam Anderson will get a career boost out of this even if she leaves in a couple of weeks. I wouldn't be surprised to see her cast on a sitcom. She's really improved her likeability factor.
    Sitcoms are hard to survive though. The network would probably want to put her in a sitcom as a hot single mom raising teenagers who are embarrassed of their sexy mom . Been there. Done that. Maybe she can do a Nicolette Sheridan-like role for the short-term on DH.

Page 17 of 20 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 ... LastLast