vCash

Do any OTC scar "removers" actually work?

I have some newly healed kitty scratches and would like to use something to get rid of the scars left behind... a couple of years ago I tried Mederma on a scar that was a couple of months old and didn't see any improvement plus it required religious use: several times a day and it smelled a little of onions (how pleasant, lol). Just wondering if Mederma works on brand new scars or if there is anything else that might? Even old-wives'-tales/home remedies TIA!

The last time I had these, the pinkness lasted for quite some time (it was fun having pink stripes on my legs all summer, ), my new ones are pink plus looks like scarring...

-Bridget
    Last edited by John 3 17; 04-24-2010 at 08:53 AM.

vCash
    I hope it works! I had stitches on my shin and the scar is not pretty. I've been using Mederma 3-4 times a day since I had them out about 6 weeks ago. In addition to recommending Mederma with sunblock, I've been told not to get a lot of sun exposure on the scarred area.

Thanks for starting this thread, I'm very interested in other's replies on this. I realize that the cream will not completely remove the scar, but I'm hoping that it will make it less, well, purple.
    Last edited by Integrity; 04-24-2010 at 01:03 PM.

vCash
    Mederma, polysporin, and Strivectin.

Tranquillo
    vCash
    I've used polysporin or neosporin and a natural salve with comfrey, calendula or other ingredients that are thought to be good for skin such as aloe, chamomile and lavender(don't use the salve on an open wound).

You can find a variety of herbal salves on etsy.com as well as some sites that feature "natural soaps" such as Misty Mountain

The actual wound and irritation from a scratch can heal rather quickly, but I don't know of anything that works very quickly on a scar. These things have helped me, but if you have sensitive skin or there is a chance of infection or a severe cut/burn, you shold check with a dermatologist.
    Last edited by Garden Kitty; 04-24-2010 at 04:04 PM.
    "The Devil is joining in, and that's never a good sign." Phil Liggett

vCash
    I have a burn scar on my wrist that is over 30 years old. I've been using Bio Oil http://www.bio-oil.com/ on it fairly regularly since September and it has smoothed things out and evened out the discolouration a bit.

vCash
    I briefly (around two months) used neosporin scar bandages on surgical scars. It did reduce them, but 1) they itched, and 2) I don't mind having scars, so I stopped using them. But they did reduce the scars.
    The Junior Grand Prix: Where skaters who "come out of nowhere" come from.

Banned Member
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Wiery View Post
    Mederma, polysporin, and Strivectin.
    Scar tissue can fade, stay out of the sun so your scars don't get dark. I haven't found any remedy that eliminates scars.
    Without fear you cannot find courage

vCash
    Thank you all for your responses! I'm seriously thinking of Bio-Oil.

Does anyone here have experience with Scaraway Silon sheets?

http://www.amazon.com/ScarAway-Profe..._bxgy_bt_img_b

They sound interesting.

-Bridget

Tranquillo
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by John 3 17 View Post
    Does anyone here have experience with Scaraway Silon sheets?

They sound interesting.

-Bridget
    I tried them on a burn scar and didn't find them very helpful. They didn't seem to stick very well, and I can't imagine them lasting the length they say they will. Maybe they work if you use them long enough, but I found them annoying.

vCash
    What about the slight redness around an old white scar? Would bio-oil or anything like that help? You'd think there would be laser or something now that would work. (I was told several years ago that the lasers wouldn't really help all that much even though docs advertise that they do-but maybe tech has changed enough?)
    I have tried the silicone sheets. You can tape them to stay on. They may help a bit with raised scars.

vCash
    I have a scar on my neck, (actually 2, same spot) from 2 surgeries to remove my thyroid. My surgeon said any of the OTC cremes are not anything special. He said to use any moisturizer and massage a few times a day. it is the massage that works. He suggested Vitamin E oil, and I used it religiously for a year and no one can see my scar.
    Note: In a previous thread on this board, this was discussed and someone said Vitamin e can not be used by everybody, so please check to make sure Vit E is for you.

vCash
    This may seem really weird, but I had a BAD curling iron burn (blistering and peeling) on my forearm last summer. Once the wound was healed I religiously put Vaseline on it (rubbing it in well) twice a day. It really faded quickly and now I can't see anything other than a very tiny (<1 mm) white scar at the end where it was the worst.

Tranquillo
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by NancyNC View Post
    This may seem really weird, but I had a BAD curling iron burn (blistering and peeling) on my forearm last summer. Once the wound was healed I religiously put Vaseline on it (rubbing it in well) twice a day. It really faded quickly and now I can't see anything other than a very tiny (<1 mm) white scar at the end where it was the worst.
    Glad it worked for you. I think Aquaphor is often recommended for burns, and it's main ingredient is petrolatum so I can imagine the Vaseline would be helpful.

Meow. Mrow. Miao. Purrrr.
    vCash
    my manager's got a burn on his arm and he's using vitamin E oil. I now have a fresh burn on mine and am thinking about trying that.
    Sit vis nobiscum.
    Vah! Denuone Latine loquebar? Me ineptum. Interdum modo elabitur