Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast
    Celebrating Jeremy Abbott's FS at 2014 Worlds...
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by skatemommy View Post
    We must be the same age...I am 45 with an 11 year old tweener. My husband proposed to me at a Bon Jovi/Skid Row concert. God Bless Bret!
    Marriage proposal while listening live to Bon Jovi and Skid Row.......feckin' priceless! (not to mention that sounds like it would have been one freaking awesome concert!llllllllllllllllll

Yup, you definitely pegged it....I turn 43 in a matter of hours, and I have a 13 year-old who turns 14 next week. For years she has rebelled against "Mom's music" because of course it's uncool at her age to like *anything* that falls into the "genre" of Mom and Dad music (even when it's light years better than most of the crap that passes for music these days).

Anything and everything music-related that I like was automatically added to the "hate" list without her even listening to any of it (hello, Pink Floyd? Metallica? Alice in Chains? Marilyn Manson? Nine Inch Nails? - all of those bands were deemed crap in her opinion, but Soulja Boy and a whole mess of hip-hop/rap artists recording clichéed, trite garbage more generic than Zoueva/Shpilband choreography is "better?" I. Don't. Think. So.) I got the last laugh, though, when her BFF informed MiniCyn that her mother (me) listens to "cool" stuff and that she needed to get over it .

Quote Originally Posted by kimkom View Post
    I saw Bon Jovi and Skid Row when they toured together too. Sebastien Bach had a great voice, and was very hot in the day, but now every time I see him I'll think of Cyn's poor shoes.
    The Sebastian Bach Shoe Incident is one I'll never forget as long as I live - I just wish that your memories of Skid Row/SebBach weren't tainted by my run-in with him in L.A.

Quote Originally Posted by suep1963 View Post
    Flashback--my niece was 10 or 12, and her relatives in MO gave her Purple Rain for a birthday present because they knew it "has sold a lot, so must be popular"
    How long ago did she receive the Purple Rain soundtrack (which is undoubtedly one of the best and most iconic albums from the '80s). What's not to love about that group of songs?

Quote Originally Posted by suep1963 View Post
    My sister called me up and asked if I could suggest some albums of current music that wouldn't require having to explain "masterbating in a magazine"
    I love it!!
    Last edited by Cyn; 04-30-2010 at 01:56 PM.

vCash
    The last Facebook Wall update said he's still in critical condition and that the first 7-10 days after the inital bleed are the most dangerous as it may recur. Today is the 7th day.

He's not out of the woods yet, but he's getting there. Let's keep Bret in our prayers and/or keep our fingers crossed.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyn View Post

most of the crap that passes for music these days).

Anything and everything music-related that I like was automatically added to the "hate" list without her even listening to any of it (hello, Pink Floyd? Metallica? Alice in Chains? Marilyn Manson? Nine Inch Nails? - all of those bands were deemed crap in her opinion, but Soulja Boy and a whole mess of hip-hop/rap artists recording clichéed, trite garbage more generic than Zoueva/Shpilband choreography is "better?" I. Don't. Think. So.) I got the last laugh, though, when her BFF informed MiniCyn that her mother (me) listens to "cool" stuff and that she needed to get over it .

I love it!!
    Priceless! My DD loves Wii Guitar Hero and can spank Slash. Her fav band is REO Speedwagon. Caught a drumstick and a guitar pick - fan forever. Her dad has made sure she loves arena rock!
    "awwww....shades of Janet Lynn" - Dick Button on anyone who makes more than one mistake in their program.

vCash
    I just saw the new Rush documentary last night and Sebastien Bach was in it, looking awful but showing what a fanatic he is. Made me think of this thread.

Two Pot Screamer
    vCash
    Bret Michaels at Top Facility in Arizona

Bret's neurosurgeon, Dr. Joseph Zabramski, has also released a statement saying there's "no doubt" Bret's condition is "serious" ... but adds, "Bret's sheer will to live and fully recover is undeniable."
    That attitude will do wonders for his recovery. Still cautiously optimistic.
    Voidy Swan, Dirty Carmen, Perverted Moonlight Sonata. God I love figure skating!

vCash
    Yup, you definitely pegged it....I turn 43 in a matter of hours, and I have a 13 year-old who turns 14 next week. For years she has rebelled against "Mom's music" because of course it's uncool at her age to like *anything* that falls into the "genre" of Mom and Dad music (even when it's light years better than most of the crap that passes for music these days).
    Gee... I've been a fan and follower of my parents' music ever since I was a kid (they are 73 and 70, so we're talking 1950's-'60's music). My ears were denizens of the local oldies station by the time I was 12.

vCash
    How long ago did she receive the Purple Rain soundtrack (which is undoubtedly one of the best and most iconic albums from the '80s). What's not to love about that group of songs?
    She is 34 now--and I know I was in college, so probably 1984 when it was released--she would have been 9 then. So I'm thinking my sister would have rather had that little talk a few years down the road!
    "Me, cutie/chicken, the egg cup, I am the hammer of my spoon!"--Jen_Faith translation

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by kimkom View Post
    Bret Michaels at Top Facility in Arizona

That attitude will do wonders for his recovery. Still cautiously optimistic.
    I'm glad to hear this.
    He's in the best facility for this problem. Combined with his determination, his chances for recovery are maximized.
    He has a long way to go, I'm sure; but, our prayers and thoughts are working.

vCash
    Too true!!

OT here, but back when the PRMC was on their witch hunt crusade against vulgar and inappropriate lyrics, they compiled a list of what they called the "Filthy Fifteen" - the songs they found most offensive and spurred Tipper and her Minions to take on the recording industry. Here's the list of the horrible songs that were corrupting the Youth of America (basically anyone in the US now aged 35-45 ):

1. Darling Nikki (Prince, for referring to sex and masturbation)
    2. Sugar Walls (Sheena Easton, for sexual reference and innuendo)
    3. Eat Me Alive (Judas Priest, for sexual lyrics)
    4. Strap On Robbie Baby (Vanity - I think that' was the lead singer of Vanity 6, for sexual lyrics)
    5. Bastard (Motley Crüe, for violence)
    6. Let Me Put My Love Into You (AC/DC, for sexual lyrics)
    7. We're Not Gonna Take It (Twisted Sister, for violence)
    8. Dress You Up (in my love) (Madonna, for sexual references)
    9. Animal (W.A.S.P., for foul language and graphic sexual lyrics)
    10. High 'N Dry (Def Leppard, for lyrics about booze and drugs)
    11. Into the Coven (Mercyful Fate, for references to the Occult)
    12. Trashed (Black Sabbath, for lyrics about using drugs and booze
    13. In My House (The Mary Jane Girls, for sexual lyrics)
    14. Posessed (Venom, for lyrics about the Occult)
    15. She Bop (Cyndi Lauper, for lyrics about masturbation)

Looking at that list, all I can do is

That stuff is like a fricking Radio Disney playlist compared to songs today. I'm surprised 'ole Tipper didn't have an apoplectic fit when Luke Skywalker and the 2 Live Crew released their album, not to mention a lot of today's Hip-Hop, Rap, Metal, and Pop. What in the world would she think of Lady GaGa?
    The joke about the PMRC is that they became a music industry marketer's best friend. Warning labels made kids want the albums as a form of forbidden fruit. Plus, having a warning label on an album allowed bands to be more explicit; they could just point to the label and say "we warned you, so why complain?"

vCash
    Your right about the PMRC lable, the record would sell out. But the 80's were nothing compared to now-a-days. Some of the stuff my 21 year old listens to is bad. There are no innuendos they come flat out and say it.
    My son loves Tom Petty, Pink Floyd, The Who and others. Anyone remember the movie Spinal Tap that ended 80's heavy metal? I love that movie and also Rock Star.

vCash
    Spinal Tap is and the godfather of the "mockumentary" genre of movies, not to mention it's an absolutel riot .

In Bret Michaels news, there's going to be a press conference today at 12 noon (not sure if that's EDT or local time in Arizona) to update his condition and (I'm assuming) finally taking questions from the media. I'll post more about it when I have more info.
    Last edited by Cyn; 05-04-2010 at 11:52 AM.

aka IceSkate98
    vCash
    Thanks, Cyn. My thoughts and prayers are with Bret and I'm glad he has such a strong positive attitude. My oldest niece, now 23, had to grow up listening to the music of the 70s, 80s and 90s because of her dad (my brother) and me.

The results from having to listen to our music is that she absolutely loves Bon Jovi, Heart, Bryan Adams, Kid Rock, Fleetwood Mac, AC/DC, Pink Floyd, Poison, The Police/Sting, Journey, etc.

My niece e-mailed me a link to her favorite song from Poison when she found out what happened to Bret and asked me to share it with everyone.

Every Rose has its Thorn
    Angie
    “I have not failed. I’ve just found 10,000 ways that won’t work.” ~ Thomas A. Edison

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Karina1974 View Post
    Gee... I've been a fan and follower of my parents' music ever since I was a kid (they are 73 and 70, so we're talking 1950's-'60's music). My ears were denizens of the local oldies station by the time I was 12.
    I was the same way - my parents had a juke box in our basement/playroom when I was a little kid, and it was filled with all of my mothers 45's from her years in high school as well as a lot of popular music from the 60's and early 70's. My favorite songs when I was three were "At the Hop" by Danny and the Juniors, "Poison Ivy" by The Coasters, "Whole Lotta Shakin' Going On" by Jerry Lee Lewis, and "Bird Dog" by The Everly Brothers .

vCash
    Bret's sister has said that Bret's walking now, but has a lot of back pain. She also said there was no way he would be ready to tour again late May, and that she's appalled at reports that Bret faked his illness to generate more attention for his tour.

Two Pot Screamer
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cupid View Post
    Bret's sister has said that Bret's walking now, but has a lot of back pain. She also said there was no way he would be ready to tour again late May, and that she's appalled at reports that Bret faked his illness to generate more attention for his tour.
    People are saying that?
    Voidy Swan, Dirty Carmen, Perverted Moonlight Sonata. God I love figure skating!

vCash
    Faking a cold is one thing. Faking a BRAIN HEMMORRHAGE? I don't think so.
    Use Yah Blinkah!

vCash

drinky typo pbp, closet hugger
    vCash
    I wonder if Trump to give to the Barrow Brain Tumor Research Center during the finale, even though it's not one of the charities originally being represented.

Yay Bret!
    Q: Why can't I read the competition threads?
    A: Competition forums on the board are available to those with a Season Pass or a premium membership How to View Kiss & Cry

Duck Hunter
    vCash
    That's awesome.. go Bret!!

vCash
    I'm SO happy to hear this. He is indeed one very lucky man. I hope he really listens to his doctors' advice and takes very good care of himself, gets lots of rest and gives himself ample time to heal.

Another report I read said it was "unclear" whether he would be able to appear on the live Celebrity Apprentice finale on May 23rd. I'd love to see him there ... but only if it does not compromise his recovery in any way.

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast