Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

vCash

Bret Michaels, from Poison, Has Brain Hemorrhage

He'd just had an emergency appendectomy two weeks ago. Now he's in the hospital, in the ICU, in critical condition, with a brain hemorrhage:

http://omg.yahoo.com/news/bret-micha...rhage/39733?nc
    Use Yah Blinkah!

Duck Hunter
    vCash
    oh wow.. we just watched a Poison concert on TV a little while ago. How sad

vCash
    What awful news! I hope that his condition is not as serious as first believed.
    "Celebrity Apprentice" reveals him to be a tireless worker, caring advocate, and good father; as he deals with the challenges brought on by Diabetes.
    (His charity on the show).

vCash
    I've heard he's had what's called a subarachnoid hemorrhage (SAH), which is bleeding at the base of the brain stem. About half the people with SAH die from it.
    Use Yah Blinkah!

vCash
    Scary stuff. I hope he pulls through ok.

He reminds me of Pam Anderson in a way. They're both usually prejudged by the public because of their pasts and by how they somtime choose to present themselves to the media; however, if you listen and look carefully at the numerous interviews that they've done over the years, you'll see that they both come off as extremely likable.

On a lighter note ... so the doctors would have had to shave his head bald to treat the hemorrage ? Yikes. Hair extensions are not cheap

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GarrAarghHrumph View Post
    I've heard he's had what's called a subarachnoid hemorrhage (SAH), which is bleeding at the base of the brain stem. About half the people with SAH die from it.
    Wow, terrible news. I hope he is part of the other half. He has a really positive attitude judging from the article posted above.

In my own little fantasy world where life is perfect for me!
    vCash
    Was he in an accident or something where he struck his head? How does something like bleeding at the base of the brain stem just start to happen without striking your head or something like that? Honest question; how does that happen?

I hope he will be okay.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GarrAarghHrumph View Post
    Oh my. I had a hemorrhage myself, in the basal ganglia region, 5 years ago. I was lucky in that I made a complete recovery.

Not 'Boxxy'!
    vCash
    Bret was hit on the head hard by a piece of scenery on the Tony Awards last June (I'm sure the video is online), but I hadn't heard of serious problems at that time.

vCash
    Some people have congenital malformations of blood vessels that begin to bleed without cause; so, it's hard to know what might have happened.
    I hope that he is in the fortunate group that recovers from this.

vCash
    It can be caused by a head injury, but nothing that's been printed indicates that he had such an injury. Instead, the articles state that he had a sudden and extremely severe headache.
    Use Yah Blinkah!

gold dust woman
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by orbitz View Post
    He reminds me of Pam Anderson in a way. They're both usually prejudged by the public because of their pasts and by how they somtime choose to present themselves to the media; however, if you listen and look carefully at the numerous interviews that they've done over the years, you'll see that they both come off as extremely likable.
    They were a couple at one point, and there was another tape...

"A second tape, which was made before the Tommy Lee tape, involving Anderson and musician Bret Michaels from Poison was later announced, and an abridged version of less than 60 seconds appeared on the internet. Frames of the video first appeared in Penthouse magazine in March 1998. The tape was successfully blocked by Michaels, but a four-minute sex tape is still available on the Internet."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pamela_...#Personal_life

On a more serious note, I hope Bret recovers!!!

vCash
    The ravages of living with diabetes and the rocker lifestyle I'm sure have taken it's toll. That said I've always loved Poison and Bret and really hope and pray he recovers. This is really serious. Really serious.
    "awwww....shades of Janet Lynn" - Dick Button on anyone who makes more than one mistake in their program.

vCash
    Oh, I hope he survives this tragedy. One (my mom) in a week is all I can handle.

vCash
    How is a hemorrhage different from an aneurysm? (not that I really want to know ).

Bret Michaels is awake, in good spirits and talking ... TMZ has learned.

Ambre Lake, the Season 2 winner of "Rock of Love," tells TMZ she's spoken with people who are close to Bret who say he's stabilized and conscious.
    http://www.tmz.com/2010/04/23/bret-m...ble-condition/

So he's still a contestant on Celebrity Apprentice?

Loving on babies!
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by deltask8er View Post
    How is a hemorrhage different from an aneurysm? (not that I really want to know ).
    An aneurysm is a weakening of a vessel wall, anywhere in the body (most commonly heard of in the brain though); if it bursts, it will cause a hemorrhage, which is basically bleeding, from any source (in this case, in the brain).

If he had surgery a week and half ago, he may have had some blood thinners post-operatively (a very common precaution against DVTs). That could have contributed to triggering the hemorrhage. In addition, hypertension is very commonly found conjoined with diabetes....the two together may have precipitated the event.

I hope it's true he's stabilized.
    I am free of all prejudices. I hate everyone equally.~W. C. Fields

vCash
    I hope TMZ is right -- that he's talking and in good spirits. If he survives, will he be 100% again, or is there going to be some brain damage?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Kasey View Post
    An aneurysm is a weakening of a vessel wall, anywhere in the body (most commonly heard of in the brain though); if it bursts, it will cause a hemorrhage, which is basically bleeding, from any source (in this case, in the brain).
    When I had mine, I first went to my MD, who sent me to an imaging place to get an MRI. The imaging place then shipped me via ambulance to a hospital in Albany, and that where I was diagnosed with an "intra-cranial hemorrhage". They sent me for an MRA so that they could rule out an aneurysm.

Having to be in that damn tube twice in one day was not fun. Plus, the hospital didn't pipe in music for me to listen to the way that Capital Imaging had done. I'm not claustrophobic but I wanted to kick my way out of the machine the second time.

Cupid - I would say, as someone who has gone through having a brain hemorrhage myself, that it is hard to say at this point. I remember when I had mine, that fatigue was an issue with me, as was weakness on my right side, my handwriting was affected, as was my speech and short-term memory. I was doing a lot of roller skating and walking for exercise, and I really had to dial back on that because I just didn't have the same level of energy that I had before.

I did make a full recovery, with no "formal" therapy of any kind. I just kept on doing what I had been doing, only less of it. Less than 2 years after, I was hitting the contra dance circuit every weekend between April and October, and contra dancing is, as dancing goes, a bit like running a marathon. I will say that, when I hear of someone dying of an aneurysm, it freaks me lot a little bit, because the thought always occurs to me that that could have been me.
    Last edited by Karina1974; 04-24-2010 at 05:53 PM.

vCash
    Karina, thanks for sharing your experience.

vCash
    Did you have surgery for your SAH/intracranial bleed? Maybe I'm reading it wrong, but it seems your main complaint for your ordeal was that there was no music playing for your MRI? Considering the gravity of the situation it strikes me as, well, odd. Death, brain death, paralysis, brain damage are all real risks. I'm glad you're okay, but that seemed strange to me to read that. I am happy you can share your story of recovery.
    Last edited by IceKween; 04-24-2010 at 06:02 PM.

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast