Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

vCash
    I also hate like.

This morning I was waiting in a restaurant beside 4 college age women. Their conversation was peppered with "likes".

As in "I registered for, like, ecological ethics, and the prof said, like "are you sure you want to take this course?" Like, yeah! It's, like, a pre-requisite."

And on and on until I was ready to scream. I hope they rid themselves of this habit before graduation. Any employer would think twice before adding them to the team.

Similar pet peeves. "Ya know?" "Really?" and uptalk. People who use them invariably overuse them.

In the middle of a hair war with Alena Leonova.
    vCash
    'Round here, people do use "was like" for "said" (as well as all the other aforementioned uses), but they also use "was all". "She was all, 'Oh hell no!' and then he was all, 'That's right b*tch!' and then SHE was all, 'Like f*ck you!'"

And you know that people are now substituting "f*ckin'" for "like". "F*ckin', I don't even f*ckin' know if she f*ckin' even f*ckin' HEARD me, know'd'I'mean?"

Besides the ghetto uses, I do hate the corporate sleazeball use of "know'd'I'mean"? Same as the ghetto, "You feel me?"

The "umms" really drive me crazy. Whenever I attend a lecture at UC Berkeley of all places, I start counting the "umms" when they get really noticeable. Once, I had to stop counting at about 400 within an hour from an artist. I get really agitated in my seat when this happens. It's usually accompanied by those awful incessant, "Bear with me," and, "Without further ado," statements.

Now I'm really paranoid about where I've placed punctuation in this post.

vCash
    I am sooooo with you on the "like". It drives me insane. And it is not just kids who use it. I go to a lot of 12 step speaker meetings, and sometimes I think if the speaker says "like" one more time....I will jump out of my seat and strangle them.

I don't know if you can reform an "liker"....maybe there could be a 12-step program just for like.

G-d grant me the intelligence remove "like" from my words
    The courage to construct a complete sentence
    and the Wisdom to think before I talk.

This could have potential
    DH - and that's just my opinion

vCash
    In teacher's college they made us audio tape a few of our lessons and then we had to play them back to ourselves and analyze our own speech patterns. Such a brutal exercise! I honestly did not realize how often I used fillers, etc. until I had to listen to myself.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Bostonfan View Post
    Another irritant: the use of "Anyways".
    anyways, anywho, or variation is irritating to me. by teenagers (mine specifically) is another irritation.

vCash
    I have a friend who uses "like" a lot. But if I said anything to her she would seriously go into deep depression if I said anything to her. It is not worth the angst it would create for her.

Still I have been guilty in the past of overusing phrases. Used to use "there is nothing worse" too much in response to discussing any situation where someone may have had a the smallest bad thing happen to them. Of course there are a hundred things worse. Cured that by one day responding in coversation "well yes there is, you could be hit by a truck". Stupid thing to say I know, but it stopped me doing it.
    When you are up to your arse in alligators it is difficult to remember you were only meant to be draining the swamp.

Dashing Between Bennetton and Krispy Kreme
    vCash

My So Called Life

Here's an example from one of my favourite shows. The main character, played by Claire Danes, used "like" constantly. Maybe it's like, a nineties, thing.

Angela: People are always saying you should be yourself, like yourself is this definite thing, like a toaster. Like you know what it is even. But every so often I'll have, like, a moment, where just being myself in my life right where I am is, like, enough.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Bostonfan View Post
    Another irritant: the use of "Anyways".
    Drives me crazy, too. I think I hear more "anyways" than "anyway".

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123