Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    vCash

Administrative Professional's Day

To all concerned: Happy Administrative Professional's Day!

What has been done in your "honor" today!

We are ordering in pizza.

vCash
    Over the last few years, our shop has canned all the admins except those supporting senior management. We're having a wake in their remembrance.
    AceOn6, the golf loving skating fan

Banned Member
    vCash
    Haha! I didn't know there was a day to honor those of us that keep lives in order!
    Without fear you cannot find courage

Two places! Atlanta suburbs and in the North Georgia Mountains
    vCash
    I always told my husband that I could be very successful too if I had a wife and a secretary.

vCash
    Is this another term for Secretary's Day?

Whatever it is, it is a good excuse for cake at work.
    When you are up to your arse in alligators it is difficult to remember you were only meant to be draining the swamp.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Aussie Willy View Post
    Is this another term for Secretary's Day?

Whatever it is, it is a good excuse for cake at work.
    Yes, I think the name was changed from that to encompass more staff, such as clerks, office managers, etc. They didn't want to be left out of the celebrations!

vCash
    Boss is taking us to lunch. It's at her friend's restaurant. Company picks up the tab. It's 1 1/2 hours of listening to how bad her life is while she tries to pry office gossip out of us. So far today, there have been 10 emails from her to 'all of us'. 1 was on how great we are, the rest were 'reminders' to share our work and work smarter, not harder.

Company I worked at before this also did something for admins. HR was in charge of it. I was there 3 weeks when one of the girls walked up and went "I don't want crappy flowers or candy again, I want money." She was the most subtle of them. The others would email me lists of what they felt was appropriate, with a sliding scale suggested for tenure. Wonder how the princesses are doing there these days with the recession.

vCash
    That's terrible, DBell1. Some people ruin it for everyone else by being greedy like that. It's the thought that counts.

Last year, the entire staff was taken to lunch, admins and professional staff as well. This year, lunch is being provided in the office (pizza). People didn't seem to happy with that turn of events.

However, my boss gave me a nice card with a dinner certificate to my favorite restaurant, and told me to keep it on the down-low from the others so there's no hard feelings. Supposedly, he said that gifts/going out to lunch on holidays, etc., was frowned upon here. I have never heard of it.

Brezina's Nemesis
    Collecting papers to obtain status of a Goddess for Asli
    vCash
    Really?

I thought this was a joke holiday made up by the Dilbert comics!
    In Soviet Russia, the skaters lobbychick YOU.

vCash
    I provide support for nine engineers (ten, if you count the Dept. Head) in four locations and I get squat for recognition.

There was a female engineer who used to round up the guys and pry money out of them for flowers but she's long gone and no one else remembers.
    I'd rather be thought of as absolutely ridiculous than as absolutely boring.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrey aka Pushkin View Post
    Really?

You obviously don't work in an office?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by zaphyre14 View Post
    I provide support for nine engineers (ten, if you count the Dept. Head) in four locations and I get squat for recognition.

There was a female engineer who used to round up the guys and pry money out of them for flowers but she's long gone and no one else remembers.
    Don't feel bad, I completely forgot about Boss's Day last October. Guess I'll have to remember it now that I got something from him!

Brezina's Nemesis
    Collecting papers to obtain status of a Goddess for Asli
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cupid View Post
    You obviously don't work in an office?
    I do, moreover, I've been a system administrator for (combined) 4 or 5 years.
    Have never heard about such things
    In Soviet Russia, the skaters lobbychick YOU.

Prick Admin
    vCash
    The only place I've ever heard about this "holiday" is on FSU. And yes, I work in an office.
    To think that fun is simple fun, while earnest things are earnest, proves all too plain that neither one thou truthfully discernest.

Thunder & Lightning!!!
    vCash
    Where I work now, (I work in a state/government office.) I get Nada. Not even a thank you! (which is all I would really like)
    Peace & Love, Gypsy
    Even a man who is pure in heart and says his prayers by night, may become a wolf when the wolfbane blooms and the autumn moon is bright.

vCash
    Guess who bowed out of the lunch due to 'stomach issues'? Yep, Me! Not really a lie since the thought of going was making me sick. I'm happily eating diet frozen food and covering for the luncheon crowd.

vCash
    I got a beautiful thank you card from the captain, deputy captain and logistics officer, with a standing invite to lunch at the restaurant of my choice!! I had dinner at Mixto last night, so next week, I think I'll ask them to take me there. This week is out, as our deputy is at a meeting in DC.

I wasn't even expecting anything; my old job did away with those things a couple of years ago. So I learned not to expect things like that.

I've been here 5 1/2 months, BTW . And today I am lurving it.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrey aka Pushkin View Post
    Really?

It used to be called Secretaries Day.

Two Pot Screamer
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cupid View Post
    Yes, I think the name was changed from that to encompass more staff, such as clerks, office managers, etc. They didn't want to be left out of the celebrations!
    Actually, the term "secretary" has gone the way of "stewardess". Most are referred to as Administrative Assistants. We're called Support Staff in my organization. Whatever...I still call myself a secretary.

We were always spoiled ROTTEN on Secretary's Day. I would get something from everyone in the office; Spa certificates, flowers, gift cards, chocolate, it was amazing! Now we have a new crew of guys all under the age of 35, and this year.....nothing. It wasn't even mentioned.
    Voidy Swan, Dirty Carmen, Perverted Moonlight Sonata. God I love figure skating!

Top Secret FSU Witness Protection Location
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by kimkom View Post
    Actually, the term "secretary" has gone the way of "stewardess". Most are referred to as Administrative Assistants. We're called Support Staff in my organization. Whatever...I still call myself a secretary.

We were always spoiled ROTTEN on Secretary's Day. I would get something from everyone in the office; Spa certificates, flowers, gift cards, chocolate, it was amazing! Now we have a new crew of guys all under the age of 35, and this year.....nothing. It wasn't even mentioned.
    Well clearly you are not training these young men! You have a whole year to prep them for next time, so get the ball rolling and watch the gifts poor in next year!
    -Brian
    "Michelle would never be caught with sausage grease staining her Vera Wang." - rfisher

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast