Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    vCash

Question "A" vs. "An" question

A colleague and I are in disagreement. Please help.

Should it be a historical event or an historical event? Does it make a difference if it's Canadian English?

Thanks.

vCash
    I say "a historical" event - although some people think the "h" is silent, and therefore say "an historical event." I think both are correct.

vCash
    'An historical event' sounds more right to me.

But, 'a historical event' is probably correct.

vCash
    An historical event is right, but it sounds stilted, like it's part of a conspiracy to make us all sound like English bulters. Probably the same people that thought up the word "whom."
    "The practice of sport is a human right. Every individual must have the possibility of practicing sport, without discrimination of any kind and in the Olympic spirit, which requires mutual understanding with a spirit of friendship, solidarity and fair play." –Olympic Charter

Hey, Kool-Aid!
    vCash
    I was taught "an" when the "h" makes the sound it does in words like historical.
    Tessa and Scott: Thank you

Bountifully Enmeshed
    vCash
    It depends. Traditionally, British and often Canadian speakers did not aspirate the h, ('istorical) and so used an. Americans generally did aspirate the h (hissssssstorical) and so used a.

But according to the CBC, the use of an is dying in both Canada and the UK, as more people aspirate the h at the beginning of words

http://www.cbc.ca/news/indepth/words/ananda.html
    "The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources."-- Albert Einstein.

Hey, Kool-Aid!
    vCash
    I guess that shows my age. Interesting article though but I was surprised to read most North Americans drop the "h" in "herbs". I don't know that I've ever heard it said that way over here (aside from French Canadians who wouldn't know an "h" if it hit them in the face xo)
    Tessa and Scott: Thank you

Bountifully Enmeshed
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by marbri View Post
    I guess that shows my age. Interesting article though but I was surprised to read most North Americans drop the "h" in "herbs".
    I've never heard hhhhhhherb; it's always 'erb.
    "The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources."-- Albert Einstein.

gold dust woman
    vCash
    Pretty much what Prancer said--if the "h" is silent, use "an." If it's not, use "a."

vCash
    It's 'erb where I grew up near Boston. And oddly enough, get this - it's "hhhhistorical" with the H, but it's "an 'istorical event."

I've just tested a bunch of my friends from home, and they all do this, as do I and my husband.
    Use Yah Blinkah!

Bountifully Enmeshed
    vCash
    This was always a tricky one when I was editing, because no matter which way you write it, there are people who will consider it wrong. And it will all depend on how they pronounce the words, so there is no way to whack them over the head with some rule you pull out of a book and declare to be LAW.

The end result of this for me is that both versions sound wrong.

vCash
    As for the herb thing--does anyone remember the Night Court episode where (at the end of the show) the punch line was "That isn't herb tea--that's HERB!"

"Me, cutie/chicken, the egg cup, I am the hammer of my spoon!"--Jen_Faith translation

vCash
    That is a tough one. I thought you could have used both and they would both sound correct.

Someone here at work thought that you use "an" when the next word starts with vowel.
    When you are up to your arse in alligators it is difficult to remember you were only meant to be draining the swamp.

Some place competitive and athletic, but ultimately more like an audition than anything else.
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Aussie Willy View Post
    Someone here at work thought that you use "an" when the next word starts with vowel.
    I was taught this also, that the rule is based on the way the words are written.

However, I later learned by way of studying other languages that such rules are based on how the words sound when properly spoken, and came into existence to maintain the continuity of the rhythm of the spoken form as sounded by native speakers (usually of high social status).

vCash
    I do not understand why anyone other than a Cockney would ever use the article "an" before "historic" or "historical." No one would say "an History student," "an hiss," "an hysterical reaction," "an Hispanic," or "an hysterectomy." So why would "an historical novel" ever be correct?

drinky typo pbp, closet hugger
    vCash
    Writing, I would use a instead of an...but when I speak it, I would say a history...but an historical. Just based on how it sounds.

The only person I've ever heard to aspirate the h in herbs is a Brit, BTW
    Q: Why can't I read the competition threads?
    A: Competition forums on the board are available to those with a Season Pass or a premium membership How to View Kiss & Cry

Dashing Between Bennetton and Krispy Kreme
    vCash
    In 'artford, 'ererford, and 'ampshire, 'urricanes' 'ardly HEVER 'appen.

vCash
    I thought there was some archaic rule about an "h" being a form of semi vowel that meant "an" was correct before anything beginning with an "h" whether you pronounce the "h" or not.

I've certainly heard presenters talk about "an historic event" rather than "an 'istoric event".

I've never really understood why Americans say 'erb or 'erbal, especially since most people i've heard do it would have a cup of hot 'erbal tea at their hotel - and only drop the 'h' in herbal?

Another pronunciation thing that always surprised me is that the name Graham or Graeme seems to be pronounced like gramme as opposed to the British pronunciation of it as two syllables (gray-am).

Ant

Prick Admin
    vCash
    I always use "an" for "an historical event".

And pronounce the "h" in "herb". I 'ate, 'ate the dropping of the "h".
    To think that fun is simple fun, while earnest things are earnest, proves all too plain that neither one thou truthfully discernest.

Some place competitive and athletic, but ultimately more like an audition than anything else.
    vCash
    Wikipedia: Discrimination between a and an

The choice of "a" or "an" is determined by phonetic rules rather than by spelling convention. "An" is employed in speech to remove the awkward glottal stop (momentary silent pause) that is otherwise required between "a" and a following word. For example, "an X-ray" is less awkward to pronounce than "a X-ray," which has a glottal stop between "a" and "X-ray".
    The form "an" is always prescribed before words beginning with a silent h, such as "honorable", "heir", "hour", and, in American English, "herb".[9] Some British dialects (for example, Cockney) silence all initial h's (h-dropping) and so employ "an" all the time: e.g., "an 'elmet". Many British usage books, therefore, discount a usage which some Americans (amongst others) employ as being a derivative of the Cockney.
    Words that may have had a route into English via French (where all hs are unpronounced) may have an to avoid an unusual pronunciation. Words that derived from German however would use a as the hs would be pronounced. There is even some suggestion that fashion may have had some influence. When England was ruled by a French aristocracy, the tradition may have been to exclusively use an, while when Britain was governed by a German-based monarchy the tide may have changed to a.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast