Brezina's Nemesis
    Collecting papers to obtain status of a Goddess for Asli
    vCash

Warranty laws/issues in US

Hola, I wondered if anyone here can provide me with some advise.

I bought my laptop two years ago on ebay through an American distributor. With it, I got a warranty in some US company - Mack Camera, for 3 years.

Unfortunately, this laptop turned out to be a piece of trash (don't buy Lenovo, it's junk), and 2 years later I have countless amount of problems (overheating, the battery is dead, the camera is not working, the USB is broken, burnt pixels on the monitor, etc).

I turned to the warranty company, and was requested to provide an estimation of the fix by an authorized laboratory. I received two estimations : one is for app. 250$ that includes only the absolute minimal fixes (without them the laptop does not work at all), and the other for the full fix (including the broken USB and monitor) for 1200$. Well, I'm a realistic person, so I don't expect to get a fix that costs as much as the entire laptop, but I expect at least to get the laptop running; however, the warranty company has approved just 120$ leaving around 40% of the absolutely minimal essential fix to me.

What are the laws? Can they do such thing and what am I actually entitled to? And what would you advise to do?

If anyone has any experience with it, the help and ideas would be greatly appreciated.
    In Soviet Russia, the skaters lobbychick YOU.

vCash
    You need a copy of the warranty. The rules for the warranty will be laid out on that document. The company needs to follow those rules, but otherwise... that's about it.
    Use Yah Blinkah!

Brezina's Nemesis
    vCash
    http://www.mackcam.com/servicecontra...=57&row_id=90#

This is my warranty.

Naturally, they can always say that I have to ship the computer to US, which would effectively mean that I get nothing at all - the costs would be unbearable. But I don't see anything that allows them to randomly pick a sum, unrelated to the estimation...

And I'm not quite sure what I can do in this case.

vCash
    It looks like the contract covers repairs that the company makes, not repairs that you have made locally. So in order to have this computer repaired, you'd need to ship it to an authorized repair center, which is likely in the US. If that's the case, the fact that they're offering you anything at all toward the cost of your local repairs is, IMO, very nice.

As for the amount - it could be the case that in the US, the costs to make the repairs you need would be lower than the price you're getting locally, and the company is only willing to pay what's considered "reasonable and customary".
    Use Yah Blinkah!

Brezina's Nemesis
    vCash
    Actually, they have the international service as well, just instead of repairing the items themselves, they return the money; it's part of the deal so they are not being "nice".

But the bottom line is very simple - never, EVER buy Lenovo.

Saint Smugpawski
    Cutting Down Privet Because Food Prices Are Going Up Next Year
    vCash
    I never even heard of Lenovo. Are they a subsidiary of Aeroflot?
    The fastest thing out of New Jersey since Tricky Nicky in a Muscovian handbasket

Brezina's Nemesis
    vCash
    I suppose that was a joke, but since I missed it, I'll answer.

They are a subsidiary of IBM.

Saint Smugpawski
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrey aka Pushkin View Post
    :mutter: Lousy American technology.

Sorry you're having these problems. I bought a crappy Ford once so I know the anger of getting stuck with a lemon.
    The fastest thing out of New Jersey since Tricky Nicky in a Muscovian handbasket

vCash
    I suppose that was a joke, but since I missed it, I'll answer.

Quote Originally Posted by Southpaw View Post
    :mutter: Lousy American technology.

Sorry you're having these problems. I bought a crappy Ford once so I know the anger of getting stuck with a lemon.
    Lenovo is not a subsidiary of IBM. They are also not American. They are Chinese.

Lenovo did actually purchase the Thinkpad division of IBM back about five years ago. That may be where the confusion comes in re: ownership. IBM does have some Lenovo stock due to this deal, but only about 5% of the stock is held by IBM. The majority of shares are actually owned by the Chinese government.
    Use Yah Blinkah!

vCash
    Actually, they have the international service as well, just instead of repairing the items themselves, they return the money; it's part of the deal so they are not being "nice".

But the bottom line is very simple - never, EVER buy Lenovo.
    Do you have a copy of the complete terms and conditions that they mention in your link?
    Use Yah Blinkah!

Brezina's Nemesis
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GarrAarghHrumph View Post
    Do you have a copy of the complete terms and conditions that they mention in your link?
    No, I got the warranty over the email; the agreement is considered to be signed after I register it on their website. Then I received the contract number and the contract type; this is the terms of my contract type.

I think you are right, they give me app. the amount they'd spend on the repairs had they done it themselves in their laboratories (which is, of course, the absolute possible minimum ever, probably estimated based on the work labor in Mauritania). Since I don't have any choice, I'm doing the repairs on my expense for now.

And, again, don't ever buy Lenovo. I don't know what their relations with IBM are, but the those laptops are sold as "the new IBM" and the repairs of my specific model is done by the IBM and not Lenovo. Which does not change the fact, that I paid 1300$ for a laptop that became completely unusable after 2 years

vCash
    Andrey --

Could you be throwing good money after bad repairing the Lenova? (Versus buying a new laptop from a more reputable company with warranty service where you live?)

Saint Smugpawski
    vCash
    Andrey, I don't know if it does you any good but I just bought a Toshiba laptop a few days ago with all kinds of bling from Best Buy for $799.