Page 3 of 34 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
    Crazy Stalker Lady
    vCash

Fourth installment

The next entry is up. Still having an amazing time. Loving Vietnam. It's total sensory overload - in a good way.

http://alisonarmstrong.blogspot.com/

vCash
    Your description of traffic reminds me of my time in Manila and other the Philippine cites. Not only was the traffic as insane as you describe, but traffic lights were also in short supply.

Crazy Stalker Lady
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Japanfan View Post
    Your description of traffic reminds me of my time in Manila and other the Philippine cites. Not only was the traffic as insane as you describe, but traffic lights were also in short supply.
    Yeah, same here - very few traffic lights. I was also told it's the same in Bangkok, and I imagine in cities in India too. I also forgot to mention the noise - horns constantly blaring, and loud vehicles. I've heard something about in England (I think) and some other Euro cities they've done experiments of completely doing away with all traffic rules in some areas and accidents rates have dropped by 50%! Suddenly everyone has to take care because no-one has right of way.

vCash
    Thanks again Alilou for the blog. Great reading. Trips sounds fantastic.
    When you are up to your arse in alligators it is difficult to remember you were only meant to be draining the swamp.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by alilou View Post
    I've heard something about in England (I think) and some other Euro cities they've done experiments of completely doing away with all traffic rules in some areas and accidents rates have dropped by 50%! Suddenly everyone has to take care because no-one has right of way.
    Now there's an interesting concept. But I an hesitant to trust it, I'm already a timid driver and people are always honking at me for not being more aggressive. For example, I prefer not to be one of two cars turning left during rush hour when you end up waiting until the light turns red. I'd rather just bide my time and wait for the next light change.

Crazy Stalker Lady
    vCash
    [QUOTE=Japanfan;2765933]Now there's an interesting concept. But I an hesitant to trust it, I'm already a timid driver and people are always honking at me for not being more aggressive.
    [QUOTE]

Japanfan you would just die trying to drive here . I think you'd be run over in 5 seconds. It's not your kind of driving at all.

vCash
    Alilou - I'm not sure if you are Vincent's (UMBS Go Blue) list for the Skate America group purchase ticket?

He is putting together his order for Skate America tomorrow. PM him you want to be included. Looks like most of us are going for the 'Gold' package, it's $200.

The last post on the Skate American thread in Great Skate Debate gives the details and PM link.

Japanfan
    Last edited by Japanfan; 05-20-2010 at 11:25 PM.

Crazy Stalker Lady
    vCash

The fifth installment is up.

Quote Originally Posted by Japanfan View Post
    Alilou - I'm not sure if you are Vincent's (UMBS Go Blue) list for the Skate America group purchase ticket?

He is putting together his order for Skate America tomorrow. PM him you want to be included. Looks like most of us are going for the 'Gold' package, it's $200.

The last post on the Skate American thread in Great Skate Debate gives the details and PM link.

Japanfan
    Thanks for the heads up - sent you a pm re this.

The next installment of my blog is done

We are back in Vancouver. I'm really tired and must try to sleep now. It was an amazing journey.

Crazy Stalker Lady
    vCash

Final Installment

It's the sixth and final installment - the conclusion of our journey with more about Hanoi, and our trip to Ha Long Bay.

http://alisonarmstrong.blogspot.com/...stallment.html

It's been a great pleasure doing this. It's reawakened my joy of writing, and I've discovered a whole new joy of photography. I only did it because some friends asked if we'd be emailing progress reports and photos. And at the "Not-at-Worlds" dinner (just 2 weeks before we left) some of the Vancouver FSUers asked if I'd be posting about our trip. Well I guess I didn't need to be asked twice

My niece created my blog for me back in 2004. This was before I had a computer or a digital camera! I wanted to be able to send pictures of our Vancouver apartment to my sisters in Oz. And I hadn't used it since - until this trip. I even had to phone back to Vancouver to get the user name and password so I could get into it

Anyway I'm glad it was there as it turned out to be the best way to share our adventures with everyone.

I hope you enjoyed it.

(BTW UMBS Go Blue - I already have SA tickets, but thanks for thinking of me. I've sent you 2 PM's (on 25 May and 30 May) so I'm wondering if PM's are not getting through to you for some reason )
    Last edited by alilou; 06-02-2010 at 02:16 AM.

vCash
    Thanks so much for posting all these Alilou. Sounds like a great trip. Love the photos of Ha Long Bay.

Question - do those monoliths in Ha Long Bay every fall over? They kind of remind me of the 12 Apostles and the west coast of Victoria here where the coast seems very fragile. But those ones look very secure, even with a tiny bit holding them to the base.
    When you are up to your arse in alligators it is difficult to remember you were only meant to be draining the swamp.

Crazy Stalker Lady
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Aussie Willy View Post
    Thanks so much for posting all these Alilou. Sounds like a great trip. Love the photos of Ha Long Bay.

Question - do those monoliths in Ha Long Bay every fall over? They kind of remind me of the 12 Apostles and the west coast of Victoria here where the coast seems very fragile. But those ones look very secure, even with a tiny bit holding them to the base.
    To be honest I haven't a clue, though you'd think they would eventually, even if it takes a few more hundred thousand years, as you can see on all of them where the water has eroded the base. And they are limestone which is a pretty soft rock I think.

vCash
    Thanks so much for bringing your "adventure" alive for us.
    It was a pleasure to share it with you!

Crazy Stalker Lady
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by skatesindreams View Post
    Thanks so much for bringing your "adventure" alive for us.
    It was a pleasure to share it with you!
    You're welcome. It's been so fun to do it.

And it seems I just can't stop

There is a new blog entry up - about Vancouver. Since I'm not travelling ATM I thought I'd write about my own city as if I'm a tourist here. It helps me see it with new eyes. And it's a great excuse to take pictures

vCash
    I hike at the UBC Endowment Lands often, Alilou, and also enjoy the North Shore hikes - especially Lynn Valley.

To anyone visiting here: there are some great walks in the rainforest here that are likely not mentioned in standard tourist guides.

vCash
    Thanks, alilou!
    I spent one of the best vacations of my life in Vancouver.
    You reminded me of why I love/miss the city so much.

Crazy Stalker Lady
    vCash
    Yes, it's a good good city in many ways. I feel very lucky to live here.

Japanfan, Lynn Valley's a great place to hike - we go over there now and then. Now we seem finally to be getting summer maybe we'll head over that way again soon. But first the hammock in the tree..........

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by alilou View Post
    Now we seem finally to be getting summer maybe we'll head over that way again soon. But first the hammock in the tree..........
    And AC - we have window units in the bedroom and office, I tend to hide there during heat waves . . .

vCash
    Vancouver is such a beautiful city. I don't how I was able to live in cities with no sea and no mountains before moving here!

Crazy Stalker Lady
    vCash
    I am on the move again

Right now we're in Italy to be followed by maybe Spain later in the Fall. No specific plans past Oct 17, except to return to Vancouver Dec 6 to leave time to get visas for India, followed by a family Christmas in Montreal, then off to India in January.

I have a new blog entry up for those who are interested, about our first week in wonderful Italy. We love it here.

Hope you enjoy it.

vCash
    I adore travel blogs! Thanks for sharing!

Page 3 of 34 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast